3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Florida Hog Adventure  (Read 1147 times)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Florida Hog Adventure
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
My son Nicolas(age 8) and I sat the Ditch blind Sunday evening. After reducing the raccoon population by one, a bunch of little pigs came in but the sow hung back growling and popping her teeth. Nicolas said "Dad, I'm scared", "we'll be fine buddy", I said, but the hair on my neck was up. I'd rather tangle with a boar any day.
She moved off after awhile following a deep grunt(the hog equivalent of a deer snort).
Bill, that's an awesome looking blue/silver boar!
I'll bet you are glad you were in a stand!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
This was actually the first time I had hunted hogs after dark. What a rush! Your hearing becomes so acute and really adds to the level of suspense.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a great hunt Bill! Nice pig! I am wintering here in FL and not too far from your hunt. I have been unable to get a hog hunt together as of yet.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Nice work..good bacon there
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Mikes hog was a real adventure!
He shot it at last light on video the first night. When we met after the hunt he thought the shot was way high and back. His confidence was low.
After reviewing the footage both Jim and I thought the hit looked good. Mikes spirits lifted, but we decided to go after it in the morning to be safe. I had also shot, hitting a boar very high above the spine, O blood.

Steaks and cold ones finished the night at the local Cowboys Bar and Grill. Great food!

In the morning Mike and I hunted the same 2 stands we were on the night before. At 8am Jim and I looked again for sign of my pig. No blood but we did find the woodsman and 6 inches of shaft, O blood on it or the ground, if you can believe it, Jim and I still don't!

We made it over to Mike about 9am. As we walked in, Mike was still on stand and said he could see blood. Sure enough lots of blood right at the arrow impact and leading off into the woods.

Mike took the trail as Jim and I filmed. The blood trail was excellent! As we moved along it we started hearing squealing, grunting and growling ahead of us.

Then out of no where a black hog ran up behind us missing Jim by about 5 feet. It stopped out to our left at about 15 yards. Jim and I both hissed at Mike(the only armed soldier among us) to shoot! The arrow went low and we all started laughing. Great video!

As we continued on the blood trail the noise ahead of us just kept getting louder. Then finally contact! Two large boars were battling over a hot sow. Chasing back and forth, hooking one another and the sow...it was awesome!! It was the first time I had ever seen hogs in rut like this. Mike was laughing as he tried to get a shot, Jim and I were filming and the hogs were dancing.

At one point we stopped moving forward to reload on film. Jim looked up at me and said "I'M SHAKING" It was great.

Mike was never able to get a shot but the train of pigs screamed by us at one point only 5 yards away in the thick brush. Great footage!!

They finally brawled away and out of ear shot.
We picked up the blood again and moved forward.
But it wasn't long and we ran into another pig that came right at us. Mike shot low taking off a little skin and hair. Not one of us could have made the shot with how amped up we were.

Back on the ample blood again we found Mikes hog, it was stone dead the night before. Mike had made a good shot.

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Thanks Guys.
Bill give Jim a call, he will take care of you!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Great stuff bud!!  You guys going to be able to hunt bunnies next month?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
We may be Guru. What are the dates??

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Great hunt!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Great stories Bill! I am excited you're getting a new DVD out! I'm starved for a new one  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
We feed a myriad of birds and mammals.Here is Bill's encounter(one of them) with Mr Ed(Bill's favorite horse).  

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by bill langer:
We may be Guru. What are the dates??
Sent a PM bud
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Got it Guru, thanks I'll talk to the troops.
I was up and down out of that treestand over a dozen times chasing Mr Ed off...

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a blast!

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
Bill, this is a great thread! Congrats on a great trip. It seriously has been enough motivation for me to start thinking about going here for a spring break trip this year with my buddy
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Go for it Dan!
Jim will take good care of you.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
FYI, we added a second property recently that the hogs are already hitting. Bill and I checked it out when he was here, it's pretty much hog heaven; rooting, tunnels, trails, wallows,etc.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the thread. Glad you had fun. Being the other half of True South Adventures but living in Wisconsin, I don't get to hunt or host you guys as much as Jim does, but it was great to see you on the night you were leaving and relive all the stories. I hope you got some good video. Enjoyed meeting Mike as well. I will be in Florida thru the end of turkey season so now it's time to do my half of the work.

Although this is only the 2nd full year for TSA, we are now sponsors, and TradGang and clients like you have helped us tremendously. Jim and I enjoy hosting archers as much as you guys enjoy hunting. We have a growing list of repeat customers, and our hunting property is bigger this year. It's great to be able to take clients off the waiting list.

Just wanted to mention that hunters like you and CJ LaCoste, who was here just after you, are seasoned hog hunters and you know the property  well. You guys don't talk loud, slam car doors, clang gear around. You watch the wind and always stalk to the stands. Staying put till the hunt's over and coming straight out. All of this makes for takin home the bacon. It's also a courtesy to the next group...keeping the place fresher.

The only two hunters who ever came to our property and didn't have a shot opportunity on a 3 day hunt are the ones who wouldn't do all these necessary things. Hogs are smart! Sometimes it's tempting to walk all around the property "scouting" but it just doesn't work well in the long run. I only mention this because Jim and I want everyone to be successful.

We sure enjoy meeting all kinds of hunters from all over the world. Thanks to everyone.

I've got some photos to add here too, but I'll do it later.

Irv Eichorst aka "beaunaro"
Irv Eichorst

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
Nice big pigs Bill. I'll post my story after this thread cools down. Good thing Mr Ed is a nice horse and this ain't Australia is all I'll say. That and he doesn't like blue foam seat pads bouncing off his head.

CJ
lll

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©