3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help! Arms too long, arrows too short  (Read 517 times)

Offline vtbebedore

• Trad Bowhunter
Help! Arms too long, arrows too short
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Looking for any advice.  I picked up some of the longest aluminum arrows I could find and they are still too short.  I am new to trad archery, and I could use some advice.  Does anyone know of a place I can get longer arrows?  DO I need to change my anchor point?  I have been drawing until my index finger touches the corner of my mouth.  Should I try drawing to the knuckle of my thumb?  A mechanical release might help, but that kind of defeats the purpose of going to traditional archery.  Here are some pics of what is going on.  If they don't load correctly, then I bought arrows that are 31.5" from knock to the end of the arrow and the end of the arrow is coming onto the shelf of my bow.  I can shoot field tips like this but a broadhead would catch.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help! Arms too long, arrows too short
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Trim about 2" off each arm?

Contact a custom bowyer.  You may be able to have a handle made that curves back in the middle.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Where are you anchoring?  I'm 6'3" with a 75" armspan and get by with 30-1/2" BOP arrows by anchoring with my middle-finger-tip touching my eye-tooth.

Your image looks like the nock is near your ear.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
I have some full length 2016's and some full length 2219's both measure 32 1/4" in length.

I have some Easton Lightspeed Carbons that are just shy of 34". There are a little longer options out there.

bretto

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
What poundage and arrow spine do you have? Easton has longer arrows in the stiffer spines.In their catalog they list a 2018 stock length at 32.5",2117 at 33" and some are 34" long in the stiffer spines.

Offline vtbebedore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
I am anchoring with my index fingertip in the corner of my mouth.  I will try to post the video.

http://s1353.beta.photobucket.com/user/bebedore/media/2_zps1c704d14.mp4.html

Offline vtbebedore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
This arrow is an Easton xx75 gamegetter 2117.  My bow is 40 @ 28" so I am guessing my draw weight is ~46lbs.  As you can see this 2117 isn't 33" as advertised.  I did not cut it down at all as I was already worried about length.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
If you get a heavier bow-but not too heavy- your draw will shrink as the # increases. You can unlock your bow arm elbow like Howard Hill did.

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
the arrow would be pretty stiff even for that weight bow..looks like you could bend your elbow just a little to settle into the bow..kinda reminds me of a target style stance and draw..you could look into carbons which their is a few of them that is quite long and would work for your draw and bow weight and welcome to tradgang..there are quite a few guys here who has some serious long draws and could give you arrow choices
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
Still can't see your anchor in the video...it appears like you could shorten your anchor a little.

I draw 29 (middle finger to corner of mouth) and your arrow length would be plenty for me and a broadhead...I could shoot a broadhead on a 30.5" arrow with my setup
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Razorbak:
the arrow would be pretty stiff even for that weight bow..looks like you could bend your elbow just a little to settle into the bow..kinda reminds me of a target style stance and draw..you could look into carbons which their is a few of them that is quite long and would work for your draw and bow weight and welcome to tradgang..there are quite a few guys here who has some serious long draws and could give you arrow choices
Nice catch on the spine. xx78 Super Slam 2117s are still 33.25" if needed. Reference the Easton    shaft chart   if needed.
Thom

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
Yeah bend your bow arm some should help a bit until you get longer arrows, also if you get a chance post a pic with your front toward camera so we can see the draw and not your back
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 03:01:00 AM »
You could get your head forward, anchor middle finger at the corner of the mouth, get your eye over the arrow, cant the bow, open up the shoulders a bit and think Fred Bear, you can shorten your draw by an inch or more.  IMHO being too upright and stiff from the shoulders up works better for targets and not so well shooting down out of a tree stand or from a kneeling position in brush.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »
Sent you an email.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Just how big of an ol' boy are you?????  :confused:  There are some options that others have mentioned.  Good Luck.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Don't compromise a good/proper anchor to accomodate a short shaft.  There are longer shafts out there.  I draw 32.5" and have arrows that work.  I shoot carbons though.  CE Maxima Blue Streak, Easton Flatliners are the two primary arrows I use.  Do an internet search and view arrow maker's web sites for longer shafts.  I believe some aluminum arrows come in at 33".
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Post a front view and one from the back and high overhead. Those will help see what is going on. I would not give up good form.  If you are very comfortable with the weight you could be over drawing. You could also be using arms, and hand too much. I got into that and was over drawing an inch for a while. I think you should also post this on the shooting page for some help on form. Make sure your form is right and then deal with the arrows. More weight will shorten your draw, but you don't want to over bow and crunch up your form.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline vtbebedore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
I am only 5' 11", but I have really long arms.  Sucks buying shirts.  Anyways.  I tried unlocking my arm and probably something else that I am not sure about, because now I am not having as much issue with the length.  I may not be getting my elbow all the way back as in the clock diagram I saw on TG.  Here is a video from the other side.  I may need to get some different arrows anyways, as my fletched arrows are hitting knock right.  As a beginner, my plan is to shoot a couple hundred arrows to work on form, then bare shaft tune something that will hopefully work, and finally start working on accuracy.

http://s1353.beta.photobucket.com/user/bebedore/media/4_zps6e567448.mp4.html

Offline vtbebedore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice xtrema312.  I will try adding some more views in the shooting forum.  Not sure I have a good place to get an overhead shot, but I will try.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
I could see in your first pic from the back that you looked to have real long arms for the length of your upper torso, but hard to tell for sure with your shirt not tucked in and loose sleeves.

In your last video you have about 3" of arrow sticking out.  I assume you have some bend in your bow arm now.  It is a fast shot and hard for me to tell, but looks like your are getting your string arm back.  String hand looks like it has good follow through.  Other angles will tell better about that.  It can be hard to see from the side.  It would be easier to see what your arms are doing if you use a closer fitting t-shirt.  The baggy sleeves make it harder to see the bend in your arms and other things some or the more knowledgeable people on the shooting forum will pick out.

Try slowing down the shot a little coming to full draw, good anchor and expand for the shot.  Do it blind if you can. Shooting blind bail will let your brain concentrate only on the shot process and not any aiming. For me that will slow down the shot a little so I can see it better on video.  

I know that I draw a little longer when I measure myself than when shooting.  , I just don’t get every last bit of expansion on the shot when shooting.  For me it is about ¼-1/2” difference.  

You can use a ladder to have someone take a pic or out of a second floor window.  I clamped my video camera in the trusses in the garage to do some overhead video.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©