3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wall tent  (Read 397 times)

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
Wall tent
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
I have seen alot of pic`s on this site of wall tents. i was thinking about buying one, but i dont no alot about them. looking for one about 15x15 with a place to put a stove in. Thanks Don

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wall tent
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
Davis Tents, Denver, CO - Look them up. A quality product, reasonably priced with monthly specials. I have a 10x12 w/ traditional poles, awning fly, rear window, screen door, and 3/4 floor. Good people to work with.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
Montana Canvas is another good place.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
They're all good.  I have a Beckel Canvas products tent out of Oregon. Mine is a 9x12.  Just about right for two people, but will handle three.  15 x 15 is a big tent.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
RK Lodges is where I got mine. 9x12 with a stove jack. Nothing like camping/hunting out of a wall tent.   :bigsmyl:
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
I've had my Canvas Cabin since the mid 80's.  I've always been meticulous about putting it away dry and I store it in the furnace room.

I've worn out one zipper but other than that it's just as tough as the day I got it.  

NEVER wash with any kind of cleanser.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 11:59:00 PM »
The best wall tent out there is definitely made by Snowtrekker tent.
Look them up, The Outfitter model would be a great choiceI think!!

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
The guys at MT canvas are awesome.  I work for a brewery in Missoula and I ordered a custom tent from them last year for promos.  They were quick, thorough and the tent is great.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
Think the trappers store in whitehorse sell them, or they did, 15 by 15 is big, sleep a family of 12,  I use a very small 7by7 for river trips, Most rivers here in yukon don't have big clearing for big tents. There all good, and a warm stove feels good after a wet day of hunting. If your looking for a stove go to Dunkins sheet metal. Stoves cost way to much, but are so good
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
hehehhe dont mind me  though I was talking to david in yukon
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
I think we should go for a coffee one day Paul!!

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
Lots of good ones,Canvas Cabins,Brussard,but the ol feller from Davis Tent helped me one time with a problem I had with mine.He straightened me out and told me he had only been making them since 1952.I figured I better listen.He was right.Great guy.Mines weathered many of storm,wind,rain.No tornados though nock on wood.My good friend has a Canvas Cabin and it is sweet!Frank McNatt at McNatt Tents will build you a good one too.The Kifaru tents are impressive too.Better check them out before you choose.They are pretty cool,but not 15X15.

Online Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
I have a 12x15 Yellowstone tent by Reliable Tent Co. and it is great. One person can set it up in about 20 minutes and it is perfect size for 2 people. Mine has a stove pipe hole in it but I use a big buddy heater to keep it warm.Great people to deal with also.
Scott
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
I stayed in a 12x15 last month in the mountains and it was great with three people with cots and a wood stove.  But we had a seperate set up for cooking.  It would have been a little tight if we were trying to do that in there as well, but could have been done.
The downside to going too large is that it is harder to heat the whole tent with a stove on one end near the door.  One year in a 15x20 we had all kinds of room for four of us with cots and an inside kitchen.  But a bit chilly on the far end of it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
I will second Davis Tent in Denver. I have a 12 X 16 with the traditional pole set, and wood stove.

Perfect for 2 guys and all your gear or 3 with a seperate cook fly in warm weather or cook tent if it's colder.

I really prefer not to cook in the tent.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
Call the guys at Davis Tent.  They are very friendly and a wealth of knowledge.   They can answer any questions you have and if you tell them how many people you typically hunt with they will make recommendations based on lots of experience.  Their website also has some very good info on it.

I would also recommend sketching out the size of tent you plan to buy to scale on a piece of graph paper.  Sketch in the number of cots and a stove and you will get a good idea if you have enough room to suit your needs.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
You might also check out Bravo Tents in Washington State online.  John Aldrich makes an awesome tent and has spent a lot of time perfecting his models.  He tests them in the Cascades where you could have any weather imaginable.  Nice guy too.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Tentsmiths. Good tents, fantastic people.
Sam

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
We typically have 6 in camp.  We set the wall tent up w/table/chairs, cook table and woodstove.

We then put 3 cots in each 8 man cabela's dome tents.

This way the wall tent doesn't get all cluttered w/gear.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
I also recommend Davis tents, I've purchased my second tent from Davis, really nice people to work with, and they will get you exactly what you want, ask for Roy, they won't sell you something you don't need.  And they just don't sell tents, for a sale.  They will really help you decide what you really need.  Give him a call

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©