3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finally got some proper arrows for the 90# ELB, watch out hogs!!  (Read 255 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
So I've been shooting my monster 90# ELB for a couple months now.  I love all kinds of longbows, takedown, R/D, ELB, lam, self, whatever.  I am unlike others who enjoy the heavy 'warbow'/ELB style longbows- I appreciate heritage and am a history buff, but I have zero interest really in flight/clout or period correct shooting, being a big man, to me it's just a giant ELB and I love the size, power, and fun of pulling it back behind my ear.  I also have decided to embrace the challenge of taking a 76" 90# bow out in the woods hunting.  Not in a tree, but on the ground, either hidden or on the stalk.  The quarry most suited to this size bow is the feral hog.  I am convinced some of them may have French ancestry and their invasion must be stopped!     ;)      And of course they are TASTY!  Anyway, I acquired the bow without having the proper arrows for it.  The bow is tillered to 33" and up to now I was only able to practice pulling and holding it past my ear with out a long arrow, and for shooting purposes was limited to some 30" carbon arrows I had lying around for my other bows, which only allowed about a 75-80# shot pulled to my face.  Let me say the carbons were just NOT heavy enough for the bow.  Such a huge stick needs some HEAVY arrows in order to transfer its energy efficiently.  Even weighted with a heavy field point and a piece of plastic coated wire inside the carbons just weren't cutting it, barely hitting 650g total weight.  This bow needs something more in the realm of 800+ grains to function and get decent cast, not to mention being tillered to 33" it really needs to be pulled all the way back to do what it was meant to do.  This meant I needed wood shafts for sure.  Carbons of the size required were just cost prohibitive and unwanted.  SO...enter in our very own John Fletch here on Tradgang.  He knew of my goal from previous posts and assured me he could build me some tough poplar shafts to do what I want to do and even make them look medieval, as my current arrow making skills are not quite up to snuff.  I traded him some items I wasn't going to use and he made me some lovely 34" spears for the bow.  The coolest part for me was that he actually had a modified fletching jig for 7" feathers allowing him to glue the feathers on like a contemporary hunting arrow without needing to wrap/tie them with thread.  I've got some really handsome STOS broadheads which have that perfect triangle look, that I'm going to try on them..but I may also get some Tuffheads to try as well since those are real monsters.  I've got 10 of the 34" monsters, but pics only show a handful of them.

Well, I'm pleased to report that the arrows John built for me fly like darts out of this bow pulled to 33"!!  Finally getting good arrow flight, all it took was some proper mass and the ability to do a full draw.  I'm working on 10 yards right now just to get comfortable with the behind the ear anchor, but so far it's working...check out the nice lung shot I got on deer target     :)      The bow isn't lightning quick, BUT it is hilarious how hard the arrows hit the target...it makes the target sway back and forth and had me in laughing fits.  I have plans to do a little camouflaging to the bow to dull it down some for the woods.  If I actually pull this off over the next few seasons (it may take more than a few tries, hehe) I'll have myself a cool story to tell.

He even threw in a couple bodkins for me to try just for the heck of it.  No doubt they'd punch through a boar's armor, but the STOS heads will do the job and I can't even imagine what these arrows would do with a Tuffhead on them.  Anyway, good trade JohnFletch and can't wait to go stalking.

Can't wait to see the eyes bug out of some wheelie shooters when they see me emerge from the woods cammied out with a camo tape wrapped around small tree in my hand.

If some hogs let me get close enough, they are in for a surprise.  

10 yard kill, haha!

7" feathers glued on, no wrap necessary!  SWEET!

Stay tuned for hunting success pics, I'll be practicing in the meantime..
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally got some proper arrows for the 90# ELB, watch out hogs!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
That's nice , and good luck
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
A very primitive part of me just burst into uproarious, gleeful laughter. Sounds like a ton of fun!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
Cool!  I've been laughing too.  I weighed the arrows, with field points or the STOS broadheads they're right around 790g, if I use a Tuffhead I'll be close to 1100  :D
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Made a quick vid of shooting at 10 yds.  3 arrows, 2 lung shots, 1 heart shot.  Excuse the vid quality, if you enlarge the screen you can see the arrows hit.  10 seems to be working pretty good drawing to the ear, now just gotta work on stepping out to 15, then 20.  

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Some Centaur Battleaxes should be mandatory for making porkchops with that setup.
I love it when this kind of thinking makes my heels come off the floor when taking a leak!! WAY TO GO!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Wow those Centaur heads are awesome, look similar to Simmons.  Says theyre 11/32 ferrule...hmmm...I need at least 23/64's..  Will have to look into it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Good hunting with your.......ballista! haha     You will knock those poor hogs into the next county.  You might outta be sure to stretch and warm up first!  I always do.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Nice! how much easier does the extra bow length make drawing it?  I'm a big buy too and I'm drawing 82@30 with a 66" recurve.  I've heard that longbows are easier to draw than comparitive weight recurves but I'm guessing that's due to the length.  Am I right or how does that work?  Basicly I'm curious if I can handle what i'm shooting now on a recurve would I be able to handle that much on 10" longer stick.  I'm about at my max for now until I shoot some more when the weather breaks.  By the way I know I don't need that much weight but since when are things that shoot always about need.  My AR and 1911's are about need, everything else is because it's fun!
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »
I have quite a few tall fellas wanting long draws.  I have been making longbows up to 76" long and arrows to 34". The longer the bow the smoother the draw.  A lot of American hunters just don't want to carry a long bow in the woods.
A short bow of course is prone to 'stacking'

I get the Poplar arrow stock in 36" lengths in both 3/8" and 11/32" dia. so it is possible to make the long arrows.  The spine must go up necessarily to accommodate the long draws, but
it can be calculated.

The 3/8" shown above are popular with the Warbow Society.  I believe that tournament bows there must be a minimum of 84# draw weight and the fletching at least 6".  Of course much of that is done in Europe so it is all done in metric!!!
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 05:52:00 AM »
Wapiti- John is right, 'long' longbows just have sweeter draw force curve, I have always experienced a longer bow to have a perceived 'easier' draw when compared to a shorter bow of the same weight.  That's why my go-to 'normal' hunting bows are all either 66 or 68", LoL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Very cool Chuck!!!

Hawken1911 and I got together one time and went after some hogs with our ELB's.....we werent able to connect but had a great time! Here is the story....
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=048658;p=1

Sorry that the pictures arent there anymore....i was useing a different photo site than photobucket back then...

Paul has went on to finally get a hog and a deer with his since!!!

Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline BunneyHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
cool video!
>>>---Mike-------->                    
"The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be learned in no other way." Mark Twain

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Lance that was a great read!  I've been learning about St. Hubert's Rangers and I may need to get some Lincoln green and dress the part when I go out hahaha
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
nineworlds and John, thanks for the info, I'm really wanting to get a longbow and I'm trying to decide whether to buy a commercial or used custom or just have what I want built.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Cool Wapiti, good luck in your search.  If you go used you may be able to find some deals on heavy weight bows, they can be a pain to move sometimes and that can be a boon for the potential buyer.  Of course having what you want built guarantees getting exactly what you want, but depending on the maker can be pricey.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline JimGoza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Mr. Nine Worlds,
You are ANIMAL!!!    Thanks for the great imagery!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by JimGoza:
Mr. Nine Worlds,
You are ANIMAL!!!    Thanks for the great imagery!
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Animal?  yeah my wife would prolly agree, not necessarily in a complimentary sense, haha.  more like a 'you need a shave, quit smacking your lips' sense ahahaha.  Nah, just a Florida boy who likes to lift weights and lookin' for kicks.  You're from Texas!  It's bowhunting Texas-style..walk softly and carry a BIG stick, haha!  My in-laws live in Brenham, whereabouts Texas are ye?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Nineworlds, thanks for the info in the pm and I'm still playing with what I want to do for sure.  I'm figuring if I go with a long bow it will be between 80 and 100# and in a longer length but I'm still trying to also decide what style.  I have back surgery on monday so I have time to mull it over and do some more research.  The info on the longer bows and draw weights helps though.  I figured with longer limbs the bows may not stack as badly or quickly.  I definitely don't know if I want to go much shorter than my 66" recurves.  My training wheels bow is only 30" so I feel like I'm playing with a toy when I pick it up.  I just bought it primarily to play with though, it just isn't as pretty or as warm as my wooden sticks.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
No worries, good luck with the heavies.  I love a long longbow.  I figure I'm 6'2'' if I have to find a way for myself through the brush, a skinny stick should be a no brainer, lol.  Definitely have to be mindful of limbs hitting things on a shot, but the smoothness and stability of a long longbow is my favorite thing.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©