3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boot protection ?  (Read 283 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Boot protection ?
« on: January 29, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Ok this may seam weird. I have size 15.5 feet, and when I buy boots they are expensive!(due to size). I just got a pair of tan work boots that I want to wear out and about as well as doing some field hunting. I need them to stay somewhat clean and waterproof protected.

What is available that will keep some of the water and dirt off, and wont ruin the color.I may be pipe dreaming.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boot protection ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
I've always used Lexol,but as far as the color goes I don't know. It seems to make the leather darker,but is good for keeping the leather crack free and flexible.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
I have a bottle of that, I may try it. Thanks
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Revivx air dry it is truly amazing as a waterproofing and it does not change color of leather that I could tell. I got mine at Gander Mountain one can will do a pair of boots with several coats easy.    Widow

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
I like mink oil the best for leather boots.  It will darken the leather (probably a lot for light colors)and protect from moisture.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
I warm my boots in the oven then apply snow seal. Its primarily beeswax and works well to protect and waterproof the leather.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
toilet ring wax <$1.00 but will change color, so like won't work for you.  If you decide to try, I use a heat gun to apply.  protects the leather and nothing water proofs better.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Countcoup43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Sno seal here as well. does darken some leather a bit.
I have done the oven trick as well as used a hair dryer for about the same effect. Opens pores of leather and melts beeswax into it.
Sno seal has some petroleum base mixed in it which I think helps drive it into leather but seems really odor free about 24 hours in.
I have also used it to waterproof regular cotton ballcaps as well.Just rub it in good. kinda makes a Tincloth out of it!!
"HUNT LIKE YOUR HUNGRY "

Offline pukwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
X2 on the mink oil.  I also like to warm them up before applying, the leather will take it better.

Offline Buranurra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by stickandstring:
I warm my boots in the oven then apply snow seal. Its primarily beeswax and works well to protect and waterproof the leather.
THis is exactly what I do, I have a pair of 20 year old scarpa boots that are still going strong.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I use grizzly greese it will.darkin leather but clams to be barnyardacid and commercial acid proof I put it on and place boots on boot dryer works good so far and water just beads off

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
I use snow seal.  Rub it on and set out in the sun.  Will darken leather but everyone who sees it asks how I achieved the color.  May try the toilet ring wax though.  Sounds good.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
I, too, use Snowseal. I heat the boots in the sun, apply Snowseal, then leave the boots out in the sun to soak. Works well. A lot of guys here seem to use the Montana Pitch Blend and say it works better than Snowseal, but I've not used it yet.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
another easy thing to do is buy a pair of boot rubbers to protect the bottom few inches, makes a big difference in snowy slushy wet weather, especially on the east coast with our crazy salt use. plus you can pull em off when you go inside and still have clean boots

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hummer3T:
toilet ring wax <$1.00 but will change color, so like won't work for you.  If you decide to try, I use a heat gun to apply.  protects the leather and nothing water proofs better.
This aint no lie. If you coat your boots real good, seams and all, you can stand in water and your socks wont get wet.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
This stuff is great...Obenaufs

"Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (LP) is the most durable protection available. Originally developed for the severe conditions endured by wildland firefighters, LP protects, preserves, and restores boots, saddles, motorcycle leathers, tool pouches, gloves, baseball mitts, and more. It is especially useful for any leather that gets worked hard and is regularly exposed to harsh environments.

Three natural oils are suspended in Beeswax and Propolis. In the leather these oils gradually seep out of the Beeswax/Propolis suspension formula. If exposed to heat or flexing the oils are released faster so leather gets oiled instead of parched and cracked. This Beeswax/Propolis* Suspension Formula provides a time release lubrication to inner fibers while the surface is reinforced against scuffing, and the leather still breathes."

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks for all the good info, i have some research to do.   :campfire:
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
I have had the best luck with montana pitch blend

Offline mossyoakpenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
All this advice is great but I think you may be pipe dreaming.  Ive never had any luck with keeping a pair of hunting boots clean, especially if they are lighter colored.  But, I believe a pair of boots look a million times better with some wear and tear on em.  Give em a good coat with any of the above mentioned products and watch the boots age gracefully.  Good luck to ya!

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick Richard:
[qb] This stuff is great...Obenaufs

AGREED!!! The best I have ever found.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©