3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sealskinz socks and gloves  (Read 268 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
sealskinz socks and gloves
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:37:00 AM »
are they that waterproof? i'm thinking of trying a pair for wet and cold hunts in New Zealand. would i get wet feet anyway from sweat or are they very breathable? thinking of trying their gloves too for the same conditions
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sealskinz socks and gloves
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
Tried them for a Kodiak Island hunt...fed the stinky nasty WET things to the fire on day 3 I believe. Don't waste your money.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
explain....
you talking about socks or gloves?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
On an Alaskan float trip some years back, we met up with some residents who advised wearing Sealskinz and light lowtop shoes for wet hunting instead of rubber kneehighs or hip waders.  Gonna get wet no matter what (sweat or exterior moisture) so why not wear something that is less likely to HOLD moisture.  Took their advice and bought 2 pairs, 1 drying and 1 wearing.  They can get stinky but if dried inside out for a day or so, not so bad.  Washed regularly they don't smell.  No experience with the gloves.
Hope that helps.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
I like the gloves for waterfowling.  Have not used them bowhunting...too thick and too much loss of touch for me.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Gloves.  They held in moisture.  Sweat coupled with saltwater made for cold, wet, stinky, heavy gloves.  You could not pay me to wear those somewhere wet.  They did not dry easy either.  They may have improved, but I'll never waste my money on them again.  I can't see how the socks would be any better.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
I have a pair of the gloves for surveying in wet weather. I'm inclined to agree with Steve O about holding in moisture.  I think my hands are more comfortable with wool gloves even if they get wet - the wool is still somewhat warm and protects your hands.

There are some conditions where you are just going to get wet, either from inside perspiration or externally.  My own experience is that wool is the best fabric if I am active and working up a sweat.   Anything that is really waterproof just condenses sweat inside.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
I am with Steve O. I had a pair of the socks for an extended period of time on a solo canoe trip in Northern Ontario.  They leaked, stunck, lead to bisters ... generally sucked.  I hated them and will never use them again.

Cold wet blistered feet is no way to cover wilderness territory when one is alone.  I hated using them.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:11:00 AM »
thanks for the info guys.
so what do you recommend in waterproof gloves?
i've been looking the youngstown winter camo glove. i'm not looking for something to shoot in just something to keep my hands dry and warm when scrambling over snow and wet tussock.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 05:01:00 AM »
I tried the socks one winter. They made my feet sweat so bad that I froze.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
sealskinz work good when the water is cold and the air is warmer, providing you have thick wool socks in them.  In near freezing air temps and you have waded through a stream, when worn inside canvas military grade boots, you will think that you have air conditioners in your shoes.

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
A pair of gators will keep the snow leaves sticks and a lot of water out of your boots. Unless you cross a stream of course. Gloves go to your nearest farm store and buy there wet weather gear gloves. They come with a warm glove and a hard plastic shell of outer, dam good gloves for hunting IMO.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Clint do you guys have " monkey grip" gloves?  They are basically rubber coated, the riggers in Canada wear them with a cotton liner glove (green king brand, $1.50).  They aren't perfect either but at least you can remove the liner to dry them out.  They are tough as heck and won't wear out on the rocks either.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:
thanks for the info guys.
so what do you recommend in waterproof gloves?
i've been looking the youngstown winter camo glove. i'm not looking for something to shoot in just something to keep my hands dry and warm when scrambling over snow and wet tussock.
I like neoprene for wet above and not to far below freezing temperatures.  That is what I use for water fowling to set and pull decoys. Great for water and mud work.  I use some thinner wool gloves when I can stay dry after getting set up. When it is real cold and I have to get my hands wet, I use an heavy insulated glove with gortex.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©