3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer hunting in Missouri...?  (Read 506 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deer hunting in Missouri...?
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
I'd like some input from guys or gals out in that part of the world. I have a chance to hunt in Shelby Co. on a friends farm.....250-300 acres. I'm looking at the regs. and it looks like that area is a 4 pt. on a side minimum AR. I have 4 guys who are thinking about going but wondering if they want to be restricted by the antler issue. 2 of the four have never shot a deer.....and would like to. Can anyone out that way give us some guidance? Thanks !
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer hunting in Missouri...?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
It is a very good county and lots of big deer have come from that area. Tag is over the counter, Wal-Mart 225.00 or so. Thats for 2 bucks and 2 turkey, the 1st buck can be taken before the gun season, the second after. I think antlerless deer tags are 7 dollars.

I would say you crew would not have any trouble getting deer to meet the antler restrictions, there is some good public areas there to give you some more options, doe

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
I would plan for a rut hunt,gun opens nov 16th this year, so from hallowen to the gun opener would be the best.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
You have access to a wonderful deer hunting county in this state. Damn the restrictions, full speed ahead.
Your buddies can always shoot does.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
This fella rents it out to gun guys later in the year....we would be going in the early part of bow before the gun season. I'm thinking we would hunt the food sources at that time.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
What Charlie said....don't worry about the restrictions...just play by the rules...and those that haven't ever shot a deer before would probably be best off to shoot a doe 1st anyway.  You know, get a couple under your belt....they will get 'doe fever' just the same...and that would be good experience.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
Great deer hunting and don't worry about the antler restriction.  There are plenty of ladies to throw arrows at.  I just wish we could get that dang rifle season out of the rut.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
Just to make it clear....I'm one of the ones who wants to shoot something.....lol!

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
In my opinion shooting a little immature buck that does not make the minimum restrictions is not a greater accomplishment than shooting a doe, especially a mature one.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
I agree, but was if there a six point at 10 yards with a perfect shot, then can not take it....after traveling 1000+ miles that kind'a sucks. I can live with it, but I don't have to like it. I have no problem taking a doe if the chance comes up. 2 guys on this trip have shot lots of deer with trad gear, 2 of us have not....even though I have been doing this a long ,long time! I contacted the DNR out there today and got some helpful info. I think the trip will be a go.......a week bowhunting at a new place, how can that be bad.....lol! Now what bow should I take....MMMMMMM!   :biglaugh:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input to my questions, that's what makes this site what it is!!!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
The area your going to will give a chance at a good one.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Non-res antlerless are 25$ if i remember correctly.

Shelby is great! worth the trip if you ask me!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Yes, NR antlerless tags are $25 apiece. I was up in Clark and Scotland counties this past season on public land, had zero luck. 3 years ago I had deer all over me on public land up there and 2 years ago we had a lease in Clark county which is NE of Shelby. Lots of good deer in N MO but some areas were hit a little harder than others by EHD this past year. Talked to a few farmers up there who had found a lot of dead deer on their property, when 25 miles south of them it was game on with deer going everywhere. It's cyclical, and fwiw I'll be back out there this fall  :)
Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Ron, You guys are going to have  a blast.  I know which bow you should take, the real question is... will you listen to me?   :confused:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Yeah, you should be fine up in Shelby.  Great hunting around there.  

I did talk to a Conservation agent who takes care of an area south of Kansas City, and he told me his area lost around 75% of their population this year to bluetongue!  

Hopefully, the rest of the herd can survive the winter in good health.  I love hunting that area, but it's hard enough to get a shot when there are plenty of deer!

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
I have hunted NE Missouri for many years. If it is like this area you will see many fork horns, 3 points and spikes.

I had 7 bucks walk by the first 3 days in Oct and none were legal. For some reason there is a lot of deer with broken racks. But they do have nice ones also.
PBS  Member

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
Carrollton about 100 miles east was great to me this year, My first mid west whitetail hunt and this fella walked under my stand and said shoot me    :)    

You will have a great time.

I will be back for sure!!!!

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
sorry double post
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Ron, check your PM's!

R

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©