3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pack in hunting - food and stuff  (Read 1034 times)

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pack in hunting - food and stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
I will throw in you might want to check out the book  "NOLS cookery". I'm not a backpacking guru or anything but when I did one of their backpacking courses the food tasted almost gourmet to me while being versatile. Good recipes if nothing else.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice , I like the idea of try it out first, never thought of that.

With all the dehydrated foods whats your water source from.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Jetboil and the Starbuck's Via is a little slice of heaven in the back country. Carry a water purifier so you can use creek or lake water, but still boil it just to be safe.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
I gave up on pumping water and just use iodine along with neutralizer tabs.

I use an MSR Pocket Rocket stove.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
Hey Tim! How bout c-rations for this old Marine. Never did think they were packable for squat.    :)    :)   Semper Fi, Ralph
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Rufus, the Cs I ate under protest were old in the 60s; I can only imagine how funky they would be now.   :eek:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Don't forget the Peanut M&Ms, great on the trail   :thumbsup:

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Well MRE's and LERP's are pretty good. Just crazy how much they want for them in stores compared to the way we sold them in the field.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Peanut butter bacon and honey an wheat toast. Vacuum seal. Just try one next time you do bacon. Make up one for each lunch. Take some trail mix to snack on during the day. As was said the honey soaks in the bread and prevents spoilage.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
At the risk of re-stating what has already been said, most of what I bring has been posted.  What I will do is offer some "goodies":

1.  Fruit leather
2.  Freeze-dried fruit (them big stores carry it)
3.  A small taste of whiskey / scotch / your choice.

The basic meals are already discussed.  Until you've been there, you really can't understand how GOOD a small taste of whiskey in a tin cup with just a touch of creek water is after 4 days of draggin' your butt up and down the mountains eating dehydrated food.  

Same with just a touch of fruit leather or freeze-dried fruit.  Those few things, even if you only bring a couple of servings, is worth the extra weight and are a real treat.

Hope this helps.
homebru

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
Just a few things I would add.

Some bagels or hard rolls for your sandwiches with the cheese and summer sausage, they don't get as mashed or broken like bread or crackers.

Sometimes bring some Stove Top stuffing and a small can of chicken or beef.  Cook the stove top and dump the meat in.

Quinoa is great taste wise, nutritionally, and very light.  Cooked by itself it tastes a little nutty and maybe a mild popcorn flavor. But I add meat to it. Great protein to carb ratio.

Powdered Gatorade and Emergen-C, especially if you sweat a lot.

I guess I should get some of that Via stuff, although it sounds spendy. Lately I've been taking Medaglia D'oro instant espresso and add more water than it calls for. Pretty stout taste that's not for everybody.  You can get it in grocery stores.   I used to bring ground beans, and a small Melita coffee filter. It's a plastic funnel you set over your cup or pot, put a paper filter in, and pour boiling water into.  They come in diff sizes and weigh next to nothing.

And last and I almost hate to admit it but sometimes I bring some Pop Tarts !     "[dntthnk]"
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
I also recommend ed tyanich's backcountry skills class.  I think he darn near invented backcountry living!

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
Depends on means of travel.

when traveling rivers I like pre cooked, I cook meals and put in 1 bag servings, then freeze it  Nothing worse then hunting all day until dark and then having to figure out what to cook and how, Warming food much easier on fuel then cooking food.

on back pack hunts, always carried a few snares for small game Tons of rice is good and pre-soak rice cooks faster

sheep hunting we always carried slab bacon only meat we took, lots of energy,  and replaced any salt loss from hiking, and did not mater what small game we ate, bacon could make it taste better

for water treatment, found using a uv flash light very good
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
I do a fair bit of this though it used to be with a un but I am getting better every day with my recurve. There a few thing to consider. First is weight. Almost anything you can do to reduce weight is essential. If you have never done this before consider weighing every item you will take. Then what kind of pack in hunt are you going to do? Are you going to pack in somewhere and set up a "base camp" where you will return each night? Or are you going to sleep in different spots ech night? If it will be on place you can take more. For coffee consider a jet boil system, freeze dried coffee, or substitute it with tea. I do not use a tent I use a hammock as it is lighter and more versatile it's a bed, a camp chair, a rain shelter ect. Also much lighter. I carry a mess kit and really like the limpton rice packets for dinners with squirrel thrown in. For water I use a "Life Straw" and a surplus canteen. If you cannot afford a down ultralight sleeping bag consider a wool blanket. It will be heavier but less bulky than a big sleeping bag. High energy trail mix is good as is jerky.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 03:15:00 AM »
I've got a great bar recipe I can email you.  It's heavy on nuts, granola, honey, choc chips,craisins, and my wife bakes them hard.  They hold together quite well in a pack and are loaded w/calories, protein and fats.  If it's cold you want the fats in your diet.

Be aware that while the Mt House taste great they only have about 700 calories which is not much.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 05:40:00 AM »
I like the regular beans and rice combos from the grocery store. Not as light in wt. as MH but a lot cheaper. And they taste better.
Tom

Offline 4Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
A few things I like that have not been mentioned.

I plan on camping near a water source by checking USGS topos.  I use a pack frame and carry in a 5 gallon bucket with my food, stove, water filter, etc.  The bucket is mouse & squirrel proof and is convenient to hang in a tree to avoid bear trouble.  It can be used as a seat or table, can be used to carry water or wash your clothes in.

I use an MSR ceramic water filter. It is easy to clean, dry and store.  I also carry an Aquamira filter bottle.  Works great and inexpensive to replace the filter.

I like to include salmon and chicken foil packs for additional protein, plus can eat them without heat or water.

Some practice runs sure help iron out the details.

Good Luck

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Wife and I did some back packing when we were younger and still self contain bicycle.  We carried the Lipton bag foods, Pita bread (its flat with a pocket), foil packs of tuna. While you are getting ready for your trip you can (I call it Yogi) small packs of jellies, peanut butter,salt, pepper, sugar and packets of condiments(mustard, mayonaise etc) from a resturant that you eat at(ask the waitress, she will let you take some with you). They are self contained packages and really add to your lunches and supper.  We carry them in a zip lock in case they open up during your travels.

Great thread with some great ideas.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
I'll add my two cents for Folgers coffee bags.  They're great in the mornings while you're planning your elk strategies for the day.

Mountain House for the main meals can't be beat.

Jon Stewart - good to hear that there are other self-contained bicycle riders out there!  Bring on the warm weather!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Great post, I'm soaking it up like a sponge as I am planning an elk hunt also, please keep it coming.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©