3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whipped up a simple paper tuner today!  (Read 475 times)

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
Whipped up a simple paper tuner today!
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Well, I haven't been able to get my new bow to the local archery range to paper tune, so I threw some stuff together in the basement in literally fifteen minutes and got er' done!  Works pretty slick off the table top.  Frame of peg board, three pieces of leftover wood, one chunk of oak firewood for base, a dozen screws and I was in business.  Here she is!!
    Back view-     With paper-    
After putting an arrow through-      What do ya think, is the hole good enough or does it need some more tweaking?  The paper is really thin and the hole doesn't look near as nice as the thicker paper I had to start with.  Plus it is an extreme close-up, makes the rips look HUGE   :eek:  Any suggestions on the tuning based off tear are welcome.  I am shooting 30" GT Trads, 3555, 240 grains total up front, four-fletch with 4" feathers.  Bow is 47# @ 28", 62" Thunderhorn 3piece.  Shooting split and nock is set at top of scale (not real sure how to measure off those scales) Thanks for lookin!

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whipped up a simple paper tuner today!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
That's nice. I made one a while back also.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Looks like someone ruined it by putting something through the middle of the paper!    :bigsmyl:
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Pretty nice.

I've made them of PVC pipe for portability. In a pinch I've simply used a picture frame or cardboard box with the bottom and top folded out of the way. These days I have a old clothes rack stand on wheels that lets me shoot at shoulder height without putting the device on a table.

By the way, a friend and Gold Medal Olympic archer (Atlanta-1996), took my PVC contraption apart and threw it in the trash when he saw it. He doesn't believe in paper-tuning. I retrieved it because the process works for me.

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
That is interesting Bowwild.  Does he just judge by eye his arrow flight then?  How does he get everything dialed in??

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Great idea. Looks like your dialed in as well.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
I had a neat little wooden stand that I built and mounted a contiuous paper roll on.  Worked nice, but after years of sitting in the back yard the base got rotten on it and it was done.  Been thinking about whipping up another one some weekend.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
After seeing an arrow flight in slow motion it's a wonder anyone gets a straight tear, even with no fletching.  

I imagine it really is dependent on the distance from the bow the paper is set up, but I believe when I researched it, most said to set it up about 3 to 5 yds from bow.

I quit paper tuning gand went to bare shaft tuning.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline 187BOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
I use an old large picture frame hanging off a cpl strings in the garage

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
When paper tuning what distance do you shoot?
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Stabow- I am about 8 or 9 ft off the paper.  My basement is around seven yards total.

Online elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
I use a aluminum storm window frame. works great.

Offline bronco2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
i use the metal frame real a state sign's. they work great..good job on yours..congrats

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
LongBow917,
This fellow I refer to lives and hunts in your state now.  He tests a variety of arrows (at one time he had samples of all possible that he would test).  He shoots the arrow that groups best at distance. He doesn't care that much about arrow flight just grouping.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
I built my paper tuner to use a roll of wax paper. Gives a nice hole that is easy to read and after using, just roll out more paper.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I built my paper tuner to use a roll of wax paper. Gives a nice hole that is easy to read and after using, just roll out more paper.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
Holes can be hard to read if you can't see them close and press them back down, but looks like your point is at the low left of the rip hole so you are showing high nock and stiff.  Or low nock bouncing off the rest and a hair stiff.  But, a lot depends on distance.  I like to shoot about 6’ to get close and then play with different distance to see the flex in the arrow. I will shoot like 4’ and every couple of yards out to about 8 yd. just too make sure a rip is not just arrow paradox settling out.  If I see rips go back and forth a little over distance I don’t worry about it. I just look for consistent rip direction issues showing the arrow out of line and not just flexing back and forth.  I also don’t mind a little high rip shooting split fingers off the shelf.  I have a hard time getting bullet holes that way, but I can get real nice holes shooting off a rest or shooting off the shelf three under.  

For paper I like drawing paper like they use for running construction drawing prints.  I have about an unlimited supply of that around.  Something stiffer like construction paper works well.  I have even seen some use targets.  Stiffer paper is harder on feathers, but shows a lot cleaner hole.  Too thin of paper can show exaggerated tear.  

My frame is 30x42 to match my paper.  The nice thing is I can shoot a series of holes at different distance and then look at them all to see the pattern of the flex plus identify known bad releases.  I get a lot more shooting in than if changing out smaller paper.  I can also shoot at a lot longer distances and hot hit my frame, very often   :D
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
LB917
Thanks.......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
xtrema, thanks for the information, those are good ideas that I will play with.  I definitely need a little thicker paper.  I am shooting split off the shelf, so the high tear is right in line with what you are saying.  I will throw in my 100 grn inserts and put some 175 heads in and see what that does!

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Great Thread, I really like the visual from Paper Tuning...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©