3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpacks for elk?  (Read 1873 times)

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
Backpacks for elk?
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Planning an elk hunt and am looking for some recommendations for a god backpack. We'll be at about 11,000ft for a week long hunt. It's not a pack in hunt or wilderness hunt. We will be staying in cabins and hunting throughout the day from there.

Thanks,  Mike

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpacks for elk?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
I used a Badlands Diablo when I was out there hunting Elk. It worked well. Most likely  to small to pack out meat.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
I'd recommend looking at one that is capable of hauling enough load to at least handle your first load of meat but is still small enough to hunt efficiently with. There's nothing worse than having to make a 2 or 3 mile trip back to the rig (or cabin)just to get your pack frame and go back in to get your first load of meat.  

I typically hunt with a partner and we each use packs like this.  If we kill an elk we bone it out on the spot and put it in game bags.  We each take out a hind quarter on the trip out and we're half way done.  We keep external frame packs in the truck and take them in to get the last load.

I use a Badlands 2200 (old one when they were still made in the USA) and have hauled out 7 elk with it.  There are lots of other good options (Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Eberlestock, Kuiu)and I'm sure others will chime in, the Badlands just happens to be what I have and it's still going strong.  

Good luck and post some pics of your hunt!

Offline ELKDUDE07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
I would recommend checking out the Horn Hunter Full Curl pack. They are great packs with a lot of versatility. Excellent pack, American made, and reasonably priced.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I got a great deal on a North Face Terra 60 and loved it for my last elk hunt.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
If its NOT a pack in or wilderness hunt. Just get yourself a nice sized day pack. I use 2 depending on if I'm staying out the entire day or heading back and forth to camp.  Badlands super day pack is a good choice.  If you plan to pack out meat though you'll need to get yourself a good frame pack

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Bullpac
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Bison Gear makes a variety of quality packs right here in the good ole USA and besides that Angelo is a sponsor here! I personally used the Lemhi model last year and was very pleased with it. Good luck with your search there's a ton of options out there!

Steve

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
I used a Badlands Superday pack on my one and only elk hunt. It was very comfy and worked well. I cannot attest to how it would have worked to haul out any meat or cape.  :(

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
I agree with Matty, do not need much for your set up. Just make sure it is comfortable and you can shoot with it. My preference is kifaru packs.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
kifaru packs,expensive but very well built

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
Eberlestock X2 is not too big but allows you to take out a good load on the first trip out.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I really like my Eberlestock X2 pack for exactly the kind of trip you describe.  Easy to carry all that I need during the day, including game bags and meat processing gear, plenty of water, etc.  And it can handle a load of meat on the first trip out if you do get lucky.  I learned the hard way on my first elk how important that capability is.

If you have hundreds more to drop on a really nice pack there are certainly better ones out there.  I was just looking at the Stone Glacier packs and they look fantastic.  But for the money, the X2 is a perfect day pack for western hunting.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
I probably have an opinion that doesn't match most of the above.  I would leave the backpack at camp and carry a day pack.  You can load 30-40 pounds of meat in it if you get lucky.  Then bring out the frame the next trip.  I can recommend most any Kelty frame, and I also have a Freighter.  Keep this in mind- you can easily load upwards of 100 pounds on either of these frames, but I wouldn't want to carry over 75 pounds unless it was a short haul.  You don't need a huge frame.  Comfort is the key.  You can get a good Kelty frame for under $50 on ****.  Some of the guys on this post probably haul 10 elk a year and can justify the big dollar backs.  I've hauled perhaps 10 over 20 years and might be an amatuer- Kelty external frames are great!
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
I have a Badlands 2200 and I like it a lot. It's fairly light and you can fit more meat in it on a pack out than you will want to carry.

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Lots of backback options, the altitude could be a bigger issue for you.  Good luck.
"They're all trophies"

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
A BIGGER turkey vest for hunting and a cabelas alaskan pack fram for hauling meat.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
I will third the Ebelstock X2, I have been using one for 3 years now and it is comfortable, not too big, you can shoot with it on if needed.

Has the capability to carry a large hydration bladder (very important) and you can carry a boned out Elk quarter fairly comfortably.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I upgraded/upsized from badlands hypervent to badlands 2200 last year, only meat I packed out with it was a grouse:) But it has a small canvas meat rack that tucks away in the bottom of the bag and the cloth is blaze orange which is cool, if your hunting with rifle toters around you can pull it out for visibility also, it is extremely comfortable.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
My son and I both use the Eberlestock 2. It is just the right size...a little too big if you don't kill anything and a little too small when you do!    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©