3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpacks for elk?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpacks for elk?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
I used a Badlands Superday once. All I can say is, I am very thankful I didn't have to go to far. Right now I have a sitka flash32 that does ok, the cabelas frame makes the next 2 trips. Whatever you get get a pack with a frame of some sort. 2200 to 3000 cid.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
Something that has a bladder full of water, you will need it

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
thanks for all the great info so far

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
Would use nothing but a frame pack. Mine so old don't think they make anymore
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 01:51:00 AM »
Would use nothing but a frame pack. Mine so old don't think they make anymore
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
I have a BL 2200 and it is buy far the best ive tried in 17seasons hunting elk. This pack has an internal aluminum frame and is just plain tuff. I dont think Badlands are made as good aS THEY WERE 10 YRS AGO but what is.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
I use an old freighter frame for hauling meat, but hunt out every day with the "Elk Hunter" day pack from Bison Gear. You will still be able to haul up to 80 pounds of meat with the day pack if you choose. Mike

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
No Mike, you can haul 80 pounds in the day pack.  A mear mortal can haul maybe 50 pounds and still get up on his feet.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I love my Eberlestock dragonfly j107. It works great as a day pack or multiday pack and will haul a load out in comfort. I have used it to even haul pop-up blinds and duck decoys but is still great as a daypack.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
Ebaerlestock! Just pick one and you will be very happy with it Mike  :)
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
I've used external freighter frames for meat hauling for about 40 years and a Bison Gear day pack.

Both Jason and I have new Kifaru Longhunter packs coming that we will use this year on our Alaska Moose hunt.  That way we will only be flying in one pack each instead of two and the weight is about the same as our old freighter frames.

John has used the Kifaru packs for years and swears by them.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »

The Kifaru tent, poles and stakes, and the pack next to the entrance, the wood stove which is not in the picture all weigh about 11lbs.
Which means I can carry more food!

Good luck

P.S. Sorry, the 3700 cu inch pack itself weighs 2.9 lbs, the way it set up in the picture it's about 4lbs. and has about 6000 cu inches.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Wingnut Mike, Yes I still struggle with finding a quiet hunting daypack that can be used to freight your camp or game meat. Most of the stuff seems to noisy. Another thing I would like to see more developments in is a quiet daypack that is water proof and breathable. I cary camera and video gear, and struggle to keep things dry during a 2 to 3 week hunt. Mike

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
I vote the badlands 2200. Compression straps get it down to a small enough size, yet it will fold out and pack meat, at least the first load, if not every load.Weighs about 4 pounds.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
The pack you carry depends on what you plan on doing with it. You said you're staying in a cabin - does the provider of the cabin pack the animal out for you, or will you pack it on your own.

If you don't have to worry about packing meat, you can choose a much smaller pack.  For me, I prefer a daypack I picked up at Cabela's a couple years ago.  It has a large padded waist belt (extremely important on any pack you'll be hiking long in), a padded back panel that helps keep your back cool, has three various sized zippered pockets that carry things like knives, flashlights, game bags, extra clothes, a garbage bag (has a multitude of back country uses), rain jacket, and has a water bladder - also extremely important. There is also an expandable open-topped pouch to haul large items, and some external lash points.  There are two exterior "water bottle" pouches that work great for that purpose, or carrying a folding saw, scope, or other items you may use often.  I keep my GPS on a belt pouch so it is readily available to mark waypoints should I want to easily return to a spot.  The features that are important to me is that it rides low enough on my back to stay out of the way when I duck under limbs, and is narrow enough to not brush against every twig I pass by. Empty, it is fairly small, yet has capacity to do an overnight should I desire.

The only thing I don't like about the pack is that it is fairly heavy.  I haven't weighed it, but think the empty pack weighs 3 - 5 pounds.  Every pound on your back wears you down.  The first couple days of a hunt I have about every conceivable need in my pack, by the last day I'm down to about a water bottle and a candy bar - get tired of hauling the weight around!
Dan Brockman

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
I have an X2 and a BL 2200.  The X2 gets used twice as much because the 2200 doesn't fit me as well but I like and recommend both of them.  X2 is flat out awesome but the water is on the side making it hard to balance throughout the day.  The 2200 is a little heavy for a day pack in my opinion but holds a lot of stuff.  both will pack a quarter and carry everything you need for a day pack.  I strongly recommend that you pick some packs that meet your needs and then try every one of them on, with weight in them, and walk around the store for a while and really think about how you will pack your stuff.  Each of them fit differently, some have louder material than others, they all have differing pocket amounts and designs and accessibility, and zippers vary.  get in shape.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Not trying to hijack,  but I have been looking into the hornhunter mainbeam XL.  I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet. I wonder if this pack would suit you. Curious to hear if anyone has used this pack, what they thought.  I have read a lot of good reviews.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
There have been some good ones at fair prices on the classifieds, several brands....not a bad place to shop!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
thanks again fella's!!  lots of GREAT info

:thumbsup:

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
Hornhunter mainbeam XL    :thumbsup:
Wisconsin Traditional Archers