3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: popup blind questions-double bull  (Read 291 times)

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
popup blind questions-double bull
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I have acquired an older model double bull with the port windows.  has anyone converted one of these to the wider windows as the newer double bulls?  How tight does the shoot through mesh have to be for good arrow flight?

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: popup blind questions-double bull
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
If your hunting turkeys open the netting for deer I reig it so I have a small opening to shoot through.
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
As stable said don't need it for turkeys. Deer are,tougher.
The netting just needs to be snug. I haven't shot anything from it but have practiced with broadheads.

I've added a couple of horizontal windows just for viewing.
I use safety pins to keep my screen in place.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Back when Brooks/Johnson still owned Double Bull, I sent one back and had them install the big windows in the one corner of it.  Much prefer it to shooting out of narrow slots.  As much as for the increased visibility as anything.

With it being a Primos deal now, I don't know if they do custom work.  (I also bought a bunch of snow camo and the Double Bull boys built me a blind out of that too).
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I have the older model as well.  Kind of like it that way.  The more "window" space you have, the easier it is for critters to see in. That's what the black interior and dressing like a Ninja is all about.  

I don't have trouble shooting out of the windows as is.  Would be nice to have a few of the horizontal viewing windows that some of the older styles have.

I just safety pin my screens as well.  Not as important for turkey as it is for deer, but they're less likely to pick up movement if you use the screens.

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
Safety pins on the netting!  Duh!  I was overengineering  with thoughts of sewn on velcro tabs and so forth.  Thank you.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Yep...safety pins. My experience has been that it is better snug rather than loose. More importantly make sure the leading edge of you fletchings are very smooth and that there isn't anything for the netting to grab. I had two arrows go high at very close range and finally concluded that the feathers needed to be more carefully smoothed into the leading edge without any quill being exposed in such a way that it could snag on the netting. Otherwise I have had no problems out to 20 yards or so. I have found on deer, however, that if you are able to leave the stand up so they get used to it you can leave the netting up if you have a good idea where the shot will be. Too much black and they seem to avoid the blind.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Throw out the netting for turkeys, just make sure your in black and the blind is all black inside and your fine.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
I have a couple varieties including the DB. I have shot through the netting in practicing but I don't trust it. So I remove it from the windows I'm expecting a shot from (on turkey).

I don't like the wide-window version that I have. I prefer the more fixed window types that are at least 72" tall. I don't can't my bow much.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
Wow, never thought of safety pins. Will have to go that route. For sure snug is best. I've thought about trying no mesh for pronghorn but not sure if it would work.
is it September yet??

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Even easier than safety pins; wrap the ends of the mesh around the rods and clamp with clothes pins.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Spurs:
Throw out the netting for turkeys, just make sure your in black and the blind is all black inside and your fine.
:readit:  

Could not agree more! I wear a black turtleneck and a little gray/black face paint and with a black background, no need for the netting.

Shooting lighter poundage bows, I need good arrow flight and i don't want that netting messing at all with that arrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©