3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Length  (Read 450 times)

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Length
« on: January 31, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
I know the bow is only as accurate as the shooter.  I have heard some guys say it is easier to keep a good group at longer distances with a longer bow than a short bow.  Like I have said a few weeks ago I gave up the compounds and jumped over to the trad side.  I would like to know what everyone thinks about this topic.  Thanks.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Length
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
My four favorite recurves are in 66", 62", 60" and 58" lengths.  Accuracy just about follows directly from most to lesser.

However . . . first shot accuracy is about the same.  My plans are to hunt the 58" this fall.

It's not purely length, either.  My 66" weighs more than twice what my slim little 58" does.  A shorter bow can be just as accurate, but (IMHO) shorter and lighter also means less forgiving of errors and more sensitive to faults.

A Cadillac Escallade may have a smoother ride than a Porsche Boxter; but which would you choose for a good, twisty road?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
A lot depends on your draw length. Generally the longer the bow the less finger pinch it has and the smoother it draws.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
I have a 28.5" draw and I shoot a 54" pch better than any other bow I own.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
I am 6'1" and have a 29" (most of the time)  :)  draw and am on that 60" to 62" bubble for recommended  draw length.  I find I shoot 62" a lot better.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
I lookin into a 50# Bear Kodiak Magnum.  I know the trad bows draw weight is measured at 28" draw, but what would the effective range of a 50# bow?  Would I be safe on a 30 yard shot if I had to take one?
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
I used to shoot short bows and will admit they are mighty handy in the thick places I tend to hunt.  However, I have come full-circle back to longer bows (currently my shortest is 62" and longest is 66").  For whatever reason, I shoot the longer bows better.  More stable?  Yeah, probably.  Smoother?  Most of the time.  I'll let the physicist argue over the mechanics of it, I just know what works.

With that said, I still love the idea of a short bow.  I did have a Wing Thunderbird (52-incher) that was a shooter but I let it get away.  I have had others and may one day try more but for now I'm fairly content that longer is better for me.  I've also found that with a little extra effort I can use the longer bow in the places I used to think was impossible.

All things being equal, shoot the shorter bow if you can do so well but don't be afraid to go longer if it will improve your accuracy, consistency and, most of all, confidence.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
I have shot both the Kodiak Magnum and the Super Kodiak.  I am torn on which one to get.  They both felt great when I shot them.  I guessin switchin over from a little 32" compound to a super kodiak is just a little intimmidating.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
― Fred Bear

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
I have only shot a 62" and 58" recurve bow.  The longer bow seemed more stable, and less pinch, I will stay with the longer bows. I think the main reason for the shorter bows is for the brush or treestands, IMHO. I say yes on the 30 yd shot if you like the shot and if the (deer?) isn't in a jumpy mood.  Remember... you might want to go up in draw weight at some point.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
I like a short bow.
My 66" Mowhawk sure felt smooth, but too long (for me). Not quite sure why I seem to be regretting letting that one go.
How short is the question, I guess. There was a video on here a couple of months ago of a guy shooting the 52" Kodiak Magnum from 45 yards in to 15 yards. HE was having NO accuracy problems.
With practice, you can probably get the job done with almost any bow. Or not. Each of us is different.
With regards to the 30 yard shot, a sharp Bhead properly placed will get the job done, properly placed being the key. If YOU can hit that far out,  the animal doesn't move in the interim from release to hit, it'll be OK. These arrows will be slower than your wheel bow, most prefer the closer shot.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have been shooting my dad's 1966 Kodiak at 42#.  I have shot a 50# recurve.  What would be a good draw wieght for deer hunting?  And do you guys that shoot the 60" and longer bows have any problems hunting from tree stands and blinds?
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
― Fred Bear

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
I don't know if actual accuracy is inherently better with longer bows (in terms of the physics involved), but I tend to prefer the smoothness of longer bows. Perhaps feeling comfortable with bows of that length may add to the ability to be more accurate. All my longbows are 66" or 68" long, with a distinct preference for 68"..
Sam

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
I believe the longer bow may be more comfortable and stable for you if your draw lenght is over 28 inchs,less finger pinch unless you shoot 3 under,that said you should be able to shoot either of them well with practice and with 50# draw 30 yds is very do able.

Online twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I was convinced I could never shoot a bow shorter than 58 inches with my 29" draw.  I show a Dave Dow 52 inch recurve last weekend that changed my mind.  I am open to any length as long as it does not stack at my draw length.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Deeter:
I have been shooting my dad's 1966 Kodiak at 42#.  I have shot a 50# recurve.  What would be a good draw wieght for deer hunting?  And do you guys that shoot the 60" and longer bows have any problems hunting from tree stands and blinds?
In my opinion, your Dad's '66 Kodiak would be perfectly acceptable for deer hunting. If you can shoot 50# well and prefer it, all the better. You will find very little problem shooting a 60" bow from a tree stand or blind if you plan, practice and set up well.

My best advice would be to take that Kodiak up a tree and see for yourself. It is different than a 32" compound but nobody can tell you what to expect quite like experiencing it yourself.  There are a bunch of short bows (including the Kodiak Mag) around. Perhaps someone in your area could offer to let you shoot theirs to get an idea what to expect with the shorter bow as well.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »
Nothing under 60" for me anymore.Prefer 62 to 66".Not really a blind hunter though.I think alott of guys prefer the shorties for blind hunting.Kind of a preferance game.Best of luck.

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 01:51:00 AM »
For me I like longer bows. I like 62" to 66" recurves and 66" to 68" longbows. It may all be in my head but I sure seem to shoot them better.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »
I know the bow is only as accurate as the shooter.
yep.  and the arrow will always be far and away more important than the bow.

longer bows may offer more "stability" but short bows are just easier to handle in a tree stand or in heavy bush.

all of this bow stuff is personal preference - find out what works best for you.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
As you've read, lots of preferences. I switched from 34 years of compounds to recurves in 2010. The advice to drop 25% in draw weight (I went from 60 to high 46#s) worked for me. My draw length is 26". I have shot bows 52"-62". I prefer my bows 58-60". Some bowyers tell me at my draw length I won't get top performance from their longer bows. The longer bows feel smoother to draw for me.

We do seem to put a lot of focus on the bow, myself included.  However, like others have written, the archer's execution is the most important followed by arrows suited to the bow and your shooting.

I would also advise, the form used in shooting the compound can be identical to good recurve form. Of course your fingers will be on the string instead of a release. You might choose to slightly cant the recurve where the compound was vertical.

But your bowhand set will be the same. You should come to a solid anchor, keep the bow arm and back muscles active, and keep the bow hand "pushing" toward the target (active). Have an animated follow-through with both the bow and drawing arms.

Some will tell you it is totally different.  It can be but doesn't have to be and in my opinion should not be. I shoot the curve every day and the compound monthly. The only reason I shoot tighter groups with the compound (much tighter) are the sights and the draw stop on the compound.

Offline mnxs54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
It all depends on the bowyer. There are guys that can make short bows and then there guys that shouldn't. I think a shorter bow that still has the "smoothness" and the "forgiveness" can be done but it's harder to achieve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©