3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jim Taylor Bow? ....What can ya tell me???  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jim Taylor Bow? ....What can ya tell me???
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Here is another story about Jimmy. Those of you who remember Sipsey River Traditional Archery (now Big Jim's) know that I sold the Gold Tip Blems. I was talking to Jimmy one day about how many I was selling and he told me about a guy he knew who goes to Korea and China and could get me carbon shafts for less than $.50 each. He refused to give me they guys name because he wanted a commission/finder's fee on what I bought and sold. I agreed and he said he would set it up. This went on and on for months and I kept pushing him to get it done. He swore "the guy" was getting the shafts, "they are on the way", but it never happened. That was Jimmy.
John

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Wow...this thread has taken on a life of its own....   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline coachA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
He was one of a kind. I also have two bows that he made. I supposedly have the first fiberglass rcurver. At least it has 001 on the bow but who knows. IF you had ever met the man you would you would say that he aint right.  :biglaugh:  LOL

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
I still have one of the first (of many) bows he gave me.  A little osage propeller bow he made my son, when my son was 2--he shot the stew out of that thing.  My son turns 18 next month.

Nope--he wasn't right, no way-shape-form-or fashioned...but he was entertaining.  Those tournaments he used to put on with the homemade targets were a hoot.  I never did hit that !%@#% running rabbit...sucker was doing about 180 mph...

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
What a fun little read...I guess we all have a Jimmy or two in our lives.

Thanks for sharing.

:coffee:
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 04:27:00 AM »
Callin this one back up bc I noticed something. (Not going to tell any Jimmy stories, although I have a few -echoing the above).

I own one of the same LB's Terry was asking about in the OP. Mine has a walnut riser, and red oak under clear glass limbs, and was $90. Good shooter.

I was told it was a Dan Quillian design. But I just got to looking at the Sky Archery Trophy -dead ringer for my Taylor/Quillian bow.

http://www.skyarchery.com/tour/tour-12trophy.htm

Designs probably get around, and I suppose Earl Hoyt Jr was a good one to copy from.

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
Think I'll revive it again. I met Jimmy at a gun show in Birmingham. I was repping for a company out of PA. that manufactured some Trad bow stuff. Jimmy had gotten my name and number from the factory as the Alabama rep so he called to talk some business. I didn't know anything about him. He told me about how he built astronomical numbers of bows daily and the he did work for Martin and Hoyt. He also said he made all of Quillen's bows too. I told him I was looking to buy an Osage bow in the 50 to 55 lb range. He said he had one that he had built the day before and the customer had backed out on the deal. $100 as I recall. I told him I'd meet him at the show that Saturday and to bring the bow. We met, he had the bow, I bought it. I took his order, passed it on to the factory who checked his credit and references. I got a call from the factory saying that they thought they'd pass on him as a dealer. At that point I started looking online and finding all the mixed bag of reviews about him. Who knew? He was a nice guy as far as I knew. Funny and full of stories. Enjoyed meeting him. Still have the bow. Marked 55# and his name. Too heavy for me now. Wish it was a 35#. Excellent Osage bow, straight and stout.
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
On a rainy day, hardly nothing beats a hot cup of coffee and an old thread like this one.      :thumbsup:
Lon Scott

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
wish I could have been at that shoot he put on!    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
They were fun and funny, as long as you didn't take yourself too seriously and had a sense of humor.

I remember one shoot he put on had a "pumpkin" target--a trash bag full of expanding foam hanging from a limb with a stripe around the middle.  The stripe was the bull.

The Indian vendors were a hoot.  I had one that wanted me to make strings for him--as quick and cheap as I could.  I made 35 or so that evening...by far the most I've ever made in that period of time.  No trimming, no serving, no back-twist, lengths were approximate--he didn't care.  We traded out...I got a load of stuff for those strings.  That was dang near 20 years ago...time sure flies.

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Thought I'd bring this one back up for Teal coin hope he sees it. I think this may be your bowyer.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
Thanks Darin. I did find this thread via the search option. Answers a lot of questions. Sounds like quite the character. Take care

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
I was real close to ordering a bow from Jimmy,severall times through the years, but i just couldnt get over the negative reports id get and chickened out.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
wow I haven't heard Jimmy's name in years he made my very first selfbow back in the early 90's I think,,,, my experience was a bad one though but no need to bring it up anymore I actually enjoy reading the positive stuff here about Jimmy Taylor wish I attended that expandable foam shoot also,,,actually its a good idea for a quick backyard target expandable foam in a trash bag..
"Us vs Them"

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
One of the funniest and fun tributes I have ever read.  The candor is awesome.

It is funny how we can measure a man isn't it?  

Whether it is how they conduct parts of their life, skin color, politics, religion etc. none of that matters.  You really need to look at the whole of the person but that can be hard to do in the moment - been there sadly.

As I get older I think maybe the best way to measure a man may be fairly simple "Is this someone I would like to sit down and have a beer with or not?"

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by lt-m-grow:

It is funny how we can measure a man isn't it?  

Boy...you said a mouthful....I get measured everyday by folks that have never met me and have no ruler.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Pearsonbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2024, 10:23:13 AM »
I bought a Jim Taylor bow and it has a1861 Confederate States of America penny embedded in it does anyone have any information about this bow

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2024, 12:52:06 PM »
Just realized how old this thread was...  :dunno:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 12:44:52 PM by Tajue17 »
"Us vs Them"

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2024, 03:25:42 PM »
Interesting!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"