3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats so great about metal risered bows?  (Read 827 times)

Offline X2

• Trad Bowhunter
Whats so great about metal risered bows?
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
It seems that on all the sites everyone is rediscovering the metal riser, and toting it as the best thing since sliced bread.  There were quite a few metal risers in the 70’s, but they seemed to go away for awhile.  (That is for hunting bows anyway).  

Here is my take on it (for what it is worth).  I have shot just about every type out there, wood or metal.  I say just about because I have shot a lot but not all.  I had always shot wood risered bows, up until about 4 years ago.  I heard how great the metal riser bows were, and wanted to give them a try.  I started with a warf, went to a quinn then to Olympic risers, and so on and so on.  I have owned the supposed best out there.  Maybe it is just because I am used to the wood riser bows, but I found the metal riser bows are not my cup of tea.  To me they are heavy, loud, cold, and ugly.  I shoot no better with them than I do my wood bow.  The only plus I found for them is adjustability.  Too me the disadvantages outweighed the advantages.  I love the way an exotic risered longbow or recurve looks.  It is a one of a kind to me.  So what is so great about metal risers?  Can your really tell that much of a difference?  I for one can not, and will stick with my custom made bows.
Support your local clubs.

Lifetime member of Idaho Traditional Bowhuters.

Lifetime member of Idaho State bowhuters

Offline X2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats so great about metal risered bows?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
It is funny how subjectional archery is. I have seen 2 different people shoot the same bow with the same arrow, and one thought is was great, and the other thought it was terrible. It just makes me wonder how good a bow really is when someone says it is the greatest thing ever. I have now learned that just because someone else like a particular bow that does not mean I will like it. I know we are all different, but sometimes I wander if the other guy has shot enough bows to know what is good and what is not.
Support your local clubs.

Lifetime member of Idaho Traditional Bowhuters.

Lifetime member of Idaho State bowhuters

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
I owned a Warf....and just as you said it wasn't my cup of tea. But it was very smooth, fast, very stable, and extremely shootable. And yet it wasn't for me.

So I understand the guys who like them and I have no problem with the guys that like them. I think it's good for people to get excited about a certain bow or their newly recieved bow. It makes the world go around.

Heck what about those weirdos that shoot self bows?? lol  :)
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
For me, my Titan by Lancaster is a great bow.  I have it setup off the shelf and find it to be very easy to point and shoot, very quiet, light in the hand and maybe one of the smoothest pulling bows I have ever owned (I've owned my share...maybe several peoples share).  I have several different makes of limbs and the R&D that went into them, coupled with the way the riser is setup likely aids in how the bow feels.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
The biggest advantages to the various metal risered bows is most of them are drilled and tapped for plungers/arrow rests and quivers.  I've been there, done that and now I'm back to stick bows and enjoy them as much as ever!  To me, stick bows have much more personality.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
I love my 3piece swan.  Shoots great and the grip fits my hand perfectly. It probably doesn't make me as good a shooter as I could be, but I enjoy shooting all my bows from my owl bow to my swan.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I'm like sar. I have a metal risered Swan and ACS_CX, but I also have Morrison, Horne, Shrew and Bear bows to shoot. I love them all. Got one you want to trade?    :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
We all have our opinions, and I have no problem with that. I prefer an all wood (maybe with fiberglass or carbon laminates) bow and wood arrows. Whenever I hunt it's with a 2 blade steel or stone arrowhead.

I won't judge anyone else, but it just seems to me that any advanced technology takes our sport closer to what I like to think of as the "junk" side. I want my equipment to be as free of "gadgets" as possible.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
My metal risered bows are shot off the shelf and have no sites, stabilizers or any gadgets. I have nothing against anyone who chooses to use them though. So long as you hunt and shoot, you can't be all bad. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
more mass in riser, and last forever.   :)  

Who care if a guy shoots off the riser, or off a rest? who care what gadgets they use, or if they hunt. as long as they are into archery they are good in my book.   :thumbsup:
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
You know, back in my archery infancy I, like most of you, shot a compound.  Mine was a bottom of the bucket PSE, it had a plastic handle.  My buddies had a wooden grip.  I loved the feel of the wood.... it was warmer, more alive, and more beautiful.  So I tinkered and made my own handle from some local walnut.  But in the meantime, I had stumbled upon an issue of Traditional Bowhunter.  And just about like that I was converted.  Took a while, though, to make the full switch.  For me, the metal handled risers are impersonal, cold and most often, ugly.  I hold nothing against those who shoot them, it's just for me the beauty and romance of an all wood, or mostly all wood bow, trounces anything a metal risered bow can offer.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
An underlying theme that I have seen in the last several years since the WARF and DAS bows hit the market is that it seems to seperate the guys who are serious about the level of their accuracy and equipment perormance from those that have other prorities. Therefore, bow performance is a high priority for one group and they jump at the chance to handle/own a bow that shoots at another level. I am one of those guys. Plus, the real difference in the shooting characteristics, for me, over the metal risered bows I have owned is the incorporation of ILF limbs...the better the limbs the better the performance (assuming correct matching of equipment and reasonably good shooting form). Some of us like to hit dead center, some of us are happy to cut the line. It is also the nature of some to avoid change and some of us like the adventure of trying something new. Some of us liket to stay at the comfort level we are at. If Howard Hill, Fred Bear, Ben Pearson and others had not been adventurous and innovators many of the changes they brought to the sport and are considered today to be "traditional" ( but at their time were considered to be progessive...and that would include arrows made of materials other than wood) would not be ours to enjoy. Some of the claims made against metal risers are just not true....too heavy, not really when you look at some of the BW's. Too expensive....not any more costly than a high end Widow, Morrison, Robertson or Blacktail. Cold in the hand...not now that you can use interchangeable wood grips (a really pleasant surprise to me).

It is true that a VW Beetle and a Ferrari will get you from "here" to "there". But the experience in one is way different than the experience in the other. What I do not understand is the motive for someone, X2 in this case,  to go from site to site (this is #4 for me), raise a question about an issue that they have already made up their own mind about. It is not like they are asking because they are curious, or may be in the market for a new product. Mr. Hust, what is it you wish to accomplish with your query?

However, my greatest hope in all the discussions about metal risers and ILF limbs is that more people will get more and more concerned about becoming better shots and more sucessful hunters. I think Ishi was right based upon what he knew at the time...that any old stick will make a bow but it takes a good stick to make an arrow. Bows, even trad bows, are changing and evolving and the more I shoot the more respect I have for those who seek to improve upon the idea that all it takes is a pretty stick to make an arrow fly true. Not all sticks are created equal and not every one is going to like the same stick. But, rhetorical questions and trolling for responses is getting old for me. However, I think it is important for those of us who have put in the time to try to keep the record straight...so I will probably keep on responding and attempt to put out brush fires as there are some that read these threads that have genuine questions and even I sometimes learn something as I sift thru some of the never ending quibbling that seems to be in vogue in traditioal circles at the moment.

I would also add that in reply to 2fletch that you cannot find a single item on a compound bow, except for the wheels and cables, that does not have its roots in what we now call traditional archery...not a single thing. In fact, the very first compounds had wood risers. One of the saddest things I have observed in my 55 years of archery is the quibbling and divisions caused by pointless questions about what traditional is or isn't. When I hear the word traditional it does not define anything for me. Rather it tells me what an archer is not shooting....he is not shooting a compound.

IF my post here raises any hairs on the necks of the moderators  here please feel free to edit or delete my post. Mr. Hust has been on numerous other sites and the threads in regards to his posts have gone nowhere and seem to perpetuate divisions and ill will among some of us. In other words, bad feelings and more quibbling that get all of us nowhere. His questions have been addressed over and over again but apparantly not to his satisfaction so now he comes here and does the same thing.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Bill, Good post.  :)  you lead and I will follow anytime.  ;)
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:

Well said Bill!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
Well said, Bill C....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Hey Bill...  :thumbsup:  

I noticed after I posted it showed up cut/paste on 4+ other boards.  It is very interesting how the term metal riser evokes such silly behavior and retorts...your second to last paragraph is especially important...the "traditional" crowd would do well to read this over and over.

I may use it as my sig...

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
I admit I like all-wood bows. That being said,I went to WV Trad./Prim Expo last March and tried two DAS bows. One was setup for an elevated rest, the other shot of the shelf. The latter of the two was my favorite.It was a 50 lbs. @ 28". Stealing  Bill's comparison above, I was driving a "Ferrari". To me it was the best shooting bow at the "show"! If you run into me at a shoot or hunting camp with a DAS and you notice my eyebrows are raised, it's due to covetousness not disdain!

Bill,I agree with you!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Nicely worded Bill....there always seems to be a certain amount of folks out there that are more interested in stirring the pot and watching it boil, rather than cooking up something actually edible in the end....

Of course some guys refer to it as stirring something else all together....

I was especially intrigued with your comments about building good quality arrows to match a bow....THAT is tough to do...Even with a 30 year back ground as a wood working craftsman, i find this arrow building from scratch very challenging....I'd love to swap some philosophy with you some time...please feel free to pm me Bro....Kirk

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
The best shooting bows I've owned in over 30 years of shooting "trad" have been a pair of Brackenbury's, one's 64" and the other 66". I now own a 62" metal handled recurve that I shoot exactly the way I shot my Brackenbury's and by some peoples standards non - traditionally. I'm ok with that. What I do pleases me. I think very highly of Brackenbury's and they'll probably always be my favorites. But the truth is, I shoot this 62" metal handled recurve better than anything I owned before. I like that.

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Well you don't have to spend a ton of money because the Quinn stallion I currently shoot costs less than 300 bucks and shoots as good or better than any of the high end bows I've shot which includes black widow,checkmate and a shrew to name a few.I like the small grip and the extra mass makes it rock solid.It's also the smoothest pulling bow I've shot and it's quiet,even shot 3 under with a standard tiller.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©