3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw Weight  (Read 423 times)

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw Weight
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
What would be a good draw weight for deer hunting?  Would 50# be good enough?
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw Weight
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Plenty, deer are taken with 40lb all day, I hunt with 43lb,just make sure that your arrows fly well and bh's are sharp. Oh, and you hit the vitals.
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
50 pounds is plenty for deer.  What draw weight do you usually shoot now?

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBshooter2:
Plenty, deer are taken with 40lb all day, I hunt with 43lb,just make sure that your arrows fly well and bh's are sharp. Oh, and you hit the vitals.
X2   :thumbsup:
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
50 is plenty. Although I prefer heavier bows of about 65"#, there is absolutely no real need to go that high. As others have indicated, 40# will also work very well. Just be sure to get comfortable with the weight you choose. Make sure your form is good and that you are handling the bow rather than the other way around.
Sam

Offline Broken Arrow 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I've killed many deer with my bows ranging from 45-55. So plenty
Its not the size of the animal you hunt that matters. Its how you hunt the animal.

Online twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
As others have said 50 is more than enough.  I had a complete pass through this year with a 48 lb longbow.  As most of the experts here have imparted on me, arrow weight and a sharp 2 blade broadhead are the key factors.  Even though I am only shooting 48 lbs my arrow weight was 650 grains.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Not sure I'd recommend that weight for a starter bow, but if you are experienced, then the 50# will work great.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Deeter, check your state regs, in Oregon the minimum for deer is 40# and 50# for elk.  But my opinion hunt with the heaviest bow that you can comfortably shoot accurately.  I will be 65 in June and still hunt with 60#.  My draw length has gone from 29" to maybe 12", but I still shoot 60#.  Well maybe I'm exaggerating a little.  SS
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
50 pds will kill a moose,  Depends alot on what style broadhead,
 Charlie is dead right, start, light, light, light  See guys over bowed up north here all the time, Ive guided guys with 110 pd bows.  Lol fun watching them draw in sub 0 weather
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Surewood Steve:
Deeter, check your state regs, in Oregon the minimum for deer is 40# and 50# for elk.  But my opinion hunt with the heaviest bow that you can comfortably shoot accurately.  I will be 65 in June and still hunt with 60#.  My draw length has gone from 29" to maybe 12", but I still shoot 60#.  Well maybe I'm exaggerating a little.  SS
Here in good ole Indiana the requirment is a whopin 35#.  But hey thanks.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
The poundage depends on wheather or not you can shoot it accurately when you are dog tired, fatigued, too hot, too cold, motionless for hours...etc. This follows the same theme as being over bowed. 50# is more then enough.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by pruiter:
50 pds will kill a moose,  Depends alot on what style broadhead,
 Charlie is dead right, start, light, light, light  See guys over bowed up north here all the time, Ive guided guys with 110 pd bows.  Lol fun watching them draw in sub 0 weather
Sounds like 50# it is.  I started shooting dad's 1966 Kodiak at 42# and it was very easy and comfortable.  I have shot a Kodiak Magnum @ 50#.  The Kmag felt great and I was able to control it and hold it with no problem.  The guy at the local archery shop told me if you cant draw the bow back and hold it for a few seconds comfortably then your pullin to much.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
― Fred Bear

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Using identical broadheads a 45# bow properly tuned with a well spined arrow will likely penetrate much better than a poorly tuned 55# bow lobbing an arrow of the wrong spine.  Extra arrow gyrations rob speed in flight and add resistance in tissue.  You can see this in target bales as well.

Extra weight does give you added "margin for error" but there are other factors.  Better to hit vitals with a 45# than wound with more weight.

I like the 50# range.  Have hunted higher but, on whitetail deer, have not noticed an improvement.  I limit myself to 25 yard shots so the added cast doesn't add that much; though I tend to like recurves of good design to begin with.  Not all "50 pound bows" come off the blocks at the same speed.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
Draw weight is a very personal thing... but, as far as the deer is concerned 50# bow with a properly tuned arrow and a sharp broadhead will end up with backstraps for dinner if you do your part and put it where it belongs.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
Howard Hill use to say "Take a 40# bow with the proper arrows and you can kill anything in North America".Kind of sums it up.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©