3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Traditional Journey...  (Read 5076 times)

Offline emfunk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Traditional Journey...
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Tell your brother congrats, that is one impressive deer takin by any weapon and on the ground to boot,
"Go afield with a good attitude, and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk"- Fred Bear

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »

9:21pm safe in the garage, look at that smile!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
There were plenty of telephone calls and pictures sent back and forth but it wasn't until the 5th of November that I was able to get my hands on that rack. Dan and Jeremy loaded some hunting stuff in a truck and came to visit me at camp. I was eager for their company and we had a great visit over the weekend.

A campfire and a shared story, could it be better?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
WOW! You both will never forget that night!

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
The archery season was still going and I was still hunting but I couldn't help but to become reflective about the change and growth we all experienced in 2011. I still couldn't get my head around Dan's courage of going totally traditional. To me, in my mind, he deserved that buck. He committed early, shot a lot and was rewarded for it. I was proud of my 5" spike but the difference in those two sets of antlers were vast and mirrored our commitment to traditional archery in my mind. Not always in life does the reward so blatantly match the commitment and effort, but to me, this was clear and simple. If I wanted more from the sport, I had to give it more heart and passion first.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
:campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Through the season of 2011 I was trying to hunt areas I thought some of the larger bucks I had captured on trail camera photos might be without much luck. I had seen a total of 4 different bucks from the cameras while bow hunting but none of the top 5. One afternoon I was a little frustrated and wanted to try something totally different, some place different, just mix it up and have fun. Through the season I kept seeing does exit from the same spot of this thick area that was logged some years ago. I decided to try and set up on the ground with the long bow getting the wind the best I could. I shot well at lunch with great concentration knowing that my next hunt was hours away, I was excited!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
I gathered my gear and headed out into the woods. It was a nice evening with a typical southwest wind. As I moved into the area I scanned for usable cover. As luck would have it there was something left of a logged tree top not far from where I expected the deer to exit the cover and the wind should be ok. I set up, pushed leaves around, trimmed some small limbs, and settled in for the wait behind a good sized trunk suspended off the ground by its limbs. I didn't expect them to come till last light and that's when I saw the first movement. Slowly and cautiously they came from the cover feeding as they closed the distance between us. I had managed to trim two shooting lanes in the cover I was in. One was 20 yards in length the other was 10 yards.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
As the two does came out of the side of the cover they kept their direction and headed the short distance to the end of my 20 yard lane. By the time they just started to enter into it I had long since been turned and ready to go, I only had to wait for a good shot angle. they turned and moved right on the edge on the lane but never really walked completely into good shooting position in the clear. It was exciting and tense as they turned back the way they came. Once back to the face of the thicket they started walking toward me and the 10 yard lane I trimmed. I slowly turned for the next shot as I felt I could and so far had managed to go undetected, the wind was even better for me when the deer changed direction. As I finished the rotation on my knees in the dirt to face the shooting lane the deer continued feeding on course and it appeared I would get my chance.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Closer, closer, bow up pressure on the string and the lead doe walked into the lane perfectly broadside and relaxed at 10 yards where I hoped she would if they took that deer trail. I knew what to do to stop her because I've done it twice before this year. As she walked into perfect position I simply started to draw slowly, she saw the movement and stopped perfectly still looking at me. That big plump, belly sagging doe never twitched, dropped or moved until the razor sharp two blade Magnus 150 grain broadhead fluttered through the millimeters of air over her back line! UGH!!! My Goodness!! The arrow slammed harmlessly into a rotten log so hard I actually had to cut the broadhead out with my small folding saw. It was an awesome exciting hunt and I loved it, I really did. I think if that deer was 15 -20 yards I would have killed her dead but she wasn't and so I missed again at ten yards, the second time that year. That was the third and last arrow of my 2011 archery season.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline emfunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
"Go afield with a good attitude, and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk"- Fred Bear

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
What happened ?
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline J.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
70" [email protected] Northern Mist Classic
70" 73@32 Northern Mist Whitbeck

Michigan Longbow association

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
I work long shifts and had to do a few. I'll be back :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
After completing my second Ironman Triathlon in Lake Placid NY on July 22, 2012 my attentions were turned to the timber and fields. Normally my father, brothers and I start growing our hunting beards the first Sept just for a fun tradition. I didn't shave after July 22, thinking my biggest hunting beard yet would bring me a little more mojo, Ha.

July 26 At Roy's advice I made my first trip to Denton Hill in Pa for the E.T.A.R. bow shoot. Awesome, I was blown away, can't wait for 2013!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Caught up and waiting for more!

Bisch

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »

August 17 I went to the Hawkeye traditional bow shoot shot all day then spent the night at camp and went to Denton Hill for the P.C.B.F bow shoot the next two days. Lots of wheel bows this time and my first shot at a target was 40 yards lol but a great time in the 3D woods. I bought Dans two boys and Jenna traditional bows at that shoot, new strings, wood arrows from 3 rivers, and back quivers.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©