3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Traditional Journey...  (Read 5066 times)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
Re: My Traditional Journey...
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
Awesome story!

Congratulations.....I truly enjoyed your trad journey.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
It was around noon when I managed to get the Buck back to camp and hung up, the rain let up some and I was able to get some photos with a better camera than my cell. I was happy to get inside the cabin and take off all my wet gear to hang around the wood stove. It was the first time I started to really feel cold that day. I opened up the wood stove and added some more wood, a couple seasoned pieces of hard wood never felt better.

2nd shoot

3rd shot
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
As I warmed up in the cabin with a cup of coco and reflected on my crazy day I kept looking out the window at my hanging buck. On the edge of the cabin clearing I caught movement, there was a deer standing, It was a buck. As he moved cautiously into the clearing he was going to cross 30 yards from my window, I know because he went past the tree I hang my practice bag. He was fixated in the direction of my hanging buck, but couldn't see him yet. I believe he smelled him as he came from directly down wind. I was really surprised, I also hadn't seen him before. I went for my camera as he continued slowly toward my buck. As I zoomed in on him he was a nice little 1.5 yo 8 pt, cool little deer!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »

I took pictures and video, and more pictures. He came 15 yards or so yards from my deer and just stood there staring at him. I wish I would have thought to bring my video camera when I decided to see how close I could sneak to him. I went out the front door and put a large white oak tree between us covering his head and stalked up 10 yards from him. I sat there crouched behind a stump looking at him, he had no clue I was there!

What a crazy day! Ten yards from three different bucks when I had such a hard time finding one previously in the season. I sat there crouched looking at the little bucks muscles and sleek coat and cool little rack. My legs were starting to fall asleep so I brought the little game to an end with some noise. Crazy day in the rain, I still shake my head thinking of it. I've often wondered how many deer were in that field that day? I'm unsure how long I'll have to wait till the next hurricane durring hunting season but I know how I'll be hunting and in what kind of general terain.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
As I warmed up in the cabin again I had the fun time of sending emails, texts, and phone calls. I sent Jenna the first text from camp, she was so funny, " I told you... I told you! You shot my Birthday Buck!" she said. lol She was really happy, really cute. I made plans for lunch the next day at my mom and dads house with my two brothers Dan and Kenny. Dad loves fresh deer liver and well I love Dad enough to eat fresh liver with him once a year but the rest is all his.

I told Dad and Kenny they could split the deer if they helped me get it in the freezer bags, they quickly agreed to that since neither hunts much but still loves venison. I boned the meat out that afternoon and put it in a cooler. I spent five hours that evening drinking a few beers and cleaning the skull into a European type mount. It's a lot of work but for all the time I've spent with the rack in my hands since that day... well worth the time.

notice the missing bone piece at the tip of the broadhead. It looks like something to do with the inner ear maybe. The broadhead pushed it into the brain. the same piece on the right I couldn't begin to push in or move.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »

dinner that night was fresh!  :)  

Lunch the next day was a blast. Mom, Dad, Dan, Kenny and his wife came, we ate liver, back straps, processed the deer into freezer bags and hung out together for the rest of the day.

"THE END!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Great story!

Congrats on a great deer too.

Bisch

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Now that was a great story and what a character buck to boot. Congrats on your success on the trad journey.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Great Story, Thank You.

Congrats on an awesome journey and buck!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Jim, now that was a great story, the best one of the year.You told it so well and I felt like I was there with you. Looking forward to meeting you as well on Sat. for the hunt, again nice job.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline J.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
:clapper:  congrats and great story very well told
70" [email protected] Northern Mist Classic
70" 73@32 Northern Mist Whitbeck

Michigan Longbow association

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Wow... that is a great story!   How cool to have that skull with your broad head imbedded in it!  A true trophy mount!    You will be re-telling that story for years to come.  
Thanks for taking sharing all the descriptive details and pictures... Really made for enjoyable reading.     :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Online Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
That was the best damned hunting story I've read in a long time.  Really made me want to be hunting.  Every time you took a break from the story, I had to loose some arrows from my back deck! lol.  Thank you for telling it and congrats on a great buck.

Offline black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
:notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Great story, you sould be a writer.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
That was fantastic!
Just what the Doctor ordered for a cold winters' two weeks! Felt great to be kept on full alert for those new pages added to the thread.
Thanks for making the time to "take us along".
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline snakebite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:  Great story.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Wow!  Not a shot I would recommend but you pulled it off.  Way to stick with it (in many ways).
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: February 14, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Great story!! Thanks for taking the time to write it. Congrats on a great buck  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©