3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Traditional Journey...  (Read 5017 times)

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Traditional Journey...
« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
That is one of the best stories ever...wow.  Thank you.

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
I wanted to take the time and return a very heart felt Thank You! to everyone that followed and read, commented and encouraged me through out my story. I really appreciated your posts as this was my first Trad Gang story and most certainly the longest, in depth tale I've ever put to paper. I plan to use a link to the story as an invitation to my brother Dan and father to join the site and share the complete story as they have not yet seen it.

I loved adding the photos to the story, what a great site this is! Not owning a computer or being that savy on one I learned a lot along the way, thanks for your patients. lol It honestly took me the better part of a day to post my first photo and even then Terry had to fix one and Rob deleted another. Ha, I think I have it now! Greg thanks for telling me to use more paragraphs for ease of reading, I honestly didn't know what u were saying until I found myself using my finger on the screen.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
I also wanted to clearly comment on an aspect of the story. Mark pointed out the white elephant in my story, and I agree, he posted "not a shot I would recommend but you pulled it off." A head shot is a low percentage shot and i'm relatively new to my longbow. It would have been easy to glance the broadhead off bone or some other way wound the buck. When I first sat to begin the story that was one of my first thoughts, the ethics of that shot.

I don't want to appear to defend or produce an excuse but rather say at the time it happened fast and a lot of emotions ran through me, I learned a lot last season. I anticipated and deserve that constructive criticism, I will leave that thought with a humble and honest... thanks for your honesty Mark.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
This weekend I plan to have my first get together with Trad Gang members at Harwood Lake to bunny hunt. I'm really excited! I have looked at the hill hog hunt, the CA bear hunt and different gatherings so I see this as a cool first step in a long walk!

The site has stirred passions of making bows, arrows, stone points, so many things that otherwise would be so much farther out of reach than they feel now. For the generous sharing of knowledge and eagerness to post replies by those who know so much, thank you, very appreciated! Sorry this was a little long but I really wanted to say a few things. Best of wishes to you all,
Gratefully, Jim

TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Bravo!  I am sure there will be many more stories to come.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Jim,

That was AWESOME  :thumbsup:  
Everything from the first spark of the   :thumbsup:  

God Bless
Ben
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
Outstanding hunt.  I didn't come all this way to be critical of your shot.  Given your situation and the nature of whitetails you were denfinately in a conundrum.  You believed in the shot and executed.  Well done.  Personally, the thought of a nice buck spinning around with blood spewing from a head shot at 10 yards paints an amazing visual and shows courage, hunting from the ground.  Thanks for the story and welcome to TG.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »
:clapper:  Congrats, great story thanks for sharing.
" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

Offline LAMADMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Great job Jim. I cant believe this is your first try at writing. I enjoyed it very much. Congrats on a nice buck!

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
A well told story......but a head shot.....not trying to rain on your accomplishment, but you got LUCKY, 9 times out of 10 this story doesn't end well...it is probably the lowest percentage shot to be taken with a bow....maybe next time let em walk or wait em out.   Congrats on a beautiful deer especially for NY.  Looks like some beautiful property also.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
That was a hell of a story!  Way to go!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Way to push the envelope!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chromebuck:
Outstanding hunt.  I didn't come all this way to be critical of your shot.  Given your situation and the nature of whitetails you were denfinately in a conundrum.  You believed in the shot and executed.  Well done.  Personally, the thought of a nice buck spinning around with blood spewing from a head shot at 10 yards paints an amazing visual and shows courage, hunting from the ground.  Thanks for the story and welcome to TG.

~CB
Hear, hear!!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by JoeM:
A well told story......but a head shot.....not trying to rain on your accomplishment, but you got LUCKY, 9 times out of 10 this story doesn't end well...it is probably the lowest percentage shot to be taken with a bow....maybe next time let em walk or wait em out.   Congrats on a beautiful deer especially for NY.  Looks like some beautiful property also.  Joe
Couldn't have said is any better...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Wow! I think you already understand just how badly that could have ended so I will say no more about the shot. But at the same time, that is the coolest story I think I have ever read on Trad Gang! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: September 06, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
TTT

This one is worth bringing to the top!!!!

A great story!!!
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: September 06, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Fantastic story! Congrats. I grew up hunting Western NY and those pics brought back a lot of great memories and lessons learned in the fall woods.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: September 06, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
I was ice fishing at the time you put this story out, I don't come around often at that time of year. This is a amazing story. I'm so happy it was brought up and I came across and took the time to read through its entirety. Congratulations well put and thank you for taking us along on your journey.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: September 06, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Jim, I appreciate good writing like many here have stated and this is as good as it gets! You are obviously in touch with your environment when out hunting and to be able to communicate those deep, sometimes hard to explain feelings and realizations on the journey called hunting is- well special.
Concerning your hunts - not just the last one - congratulations!!! I love hunting from the ground and you guys did it up in spades!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: September 07, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks for bring this story to us, and thanks for bringing it to the top!  What an amazing read. This was a story that had to be told, and you, sir, told it well.  As far as the first shot, it's hard for anyone to know what he/she would have actually done in that situation... easy to say what we would have done... hard to know.   Definitely a learning experience for you, I'm sure, and I'm certain it will be a learning experience for everyone who reads the story.  

Congratulations, and thanks again for sharing.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©