3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help a Rookie Out  (Read 469 times)

Offline Naturebatch07

• Trad Bowhunter
Help a Rookie Out
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Hello to all
I just joined the forum and I have a question.  Currently I am shooting a 45# Samick Sage and really enjoy the bow.  Like most of you though, I am already dreaming about my next bow.  Really like the way Bacote looks on some of the custom bows, but I am overwhelmed with the amount of bowyers out there.  I am looking for bow to hunt deer with and I hunt mostly out tree stands.  Longbow? Recurve? I am open to suggestions.  Budget is anywhere from $500-$800 and maybe more for the right bow.  Tell me what you think!  Thanks in advance
45# @ 28 Samick Sage T/D Recurve
53# @ 28 62" MOAB

I am and Archer and I will make this shot

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help a Rookie Out
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I would look into a used bow from the classifieds for less money, but still an upgrade from what you have. That way you get a longbow and a recurve.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Hit the classified section and try to hit some of the big trad shoots and shoot as many as possible.  There are LOTS of great bows in your budget!

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Check out Dryad Bows.  They are a sponsor here, but more importantly for you, they are a Texas company.  Maybe you are close enough to stop in a see them and try a few bows out and find out what you like.

Offline Naturebatch07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Really like the idea of test driving a dryad bow if I am close.  I also would like to find a good bow in the classifieds.  What bow is a solid hunter and would you reccomend an increase in pounds for hunting?  55# is what I was thinking? Thoughts? Keep them coming!
53# @ 28 62" MOAB

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
I am kind of partial to Sarrels longbows and he is right here in TX too (just south of Austin). Bob has many different models of both recurves and longbows and loves it when people come by to try them out.

That being said, the advice posted above, to go to some shoots and shoot as many as you can, is the best advice you can get. There are a bunch of different bowyers out there who are all building some great products. What one guy loves, the next guy hates. When you pick up "the one" you will know it and just have to have one.

Bisch

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Hey Paul,

Where in Texas are you?  There's probably a tradganger near by that wouldn't mind you shooting their bow.  If you are in the Houston area give me a shout, I've got a couple of Thunderstick MOAB's you are welcome to try out.

Offline Naturebatch07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Traditional rendezvous shoots here in Texas?  Heard of a big one in Chester and te Hill country Shootout at bug scuffle.  Any specific shoots that vendors bring bows to?  Thanks for all te help
53# @ 28 62" MOAB

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Naturebatch07:
Traditional rendezvous shoots here in Texas?  Heard of a big one in Chester and te Hill country Shootout at bug scuffle.  Any specific shoots that vendors bring bows to?  Thanks for all te help
Those are 2 of the biggest shoots in the state. There is usually several hunderd shooters and several bow vendors at each of these shoots. If you like 3D, both of these are must go to's!

Bisch

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
You would have benefited much more if you had the chance to go to the much fabled Kzoo expo! A pity I couldn't go too...

I think you might want to keep an eye out for some that offers "programs". I recall seeing a bowyer that builds you a low poundage riser and limb. And you can exchange for an instock limb of higher poundage, free of charge. I think it's called the "grow with you bow" program.  Not sure which bowyer though...

Good luck with your search!

--Aaron
Aaron

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 03:29:00 AM »
Check out bob lee bows they are located in texas too. I am a big fan of bob lee bows.  There customer service is fantastic.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 03:42:00 AM »
Be careful. I'm new to this too, and i started with a 45 lb sage. I bought 55lb limbs and i struggled with them and honestly still do a little at times. Not saying you can't do it as only you would know that, but 10 pounds is alot bigger jump than you think. I decided on 50 for now, and can shoot it very easily as long as i want. I still shoot the 55 pound bow and i'm getting there with it, but like i said 10 pounds is alot more than you think when your talking draw weight . The 55 makes 50 feel like nothing. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision and welcome to tradgang.

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 03:45:00 AM »
Be careful. I'm new to this too, and i started with a 45 lb sage. I bought 55lb limbs and i struggled with them and honestly still do a little at times. Not saying you can't do it as only you would know that, but 10 pounds is alot bigger jump than you think. I decided on 50 for now, and can shoot it very easily as long as i want. I still shoot the 55 pound bow and i'm getting there with it, but like i said 10 pounds is alot more than you think when your talking draw weight . The 55 makes 50 feel like nothing. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision and welcome to tradgang.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Go to some shoots and shoot a lot of bows. Of course even then you are gonna end up with both before its over. Ever heard of addictions? This is a bad but good one!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
I like the advice about going to shoots and putting different bows in your hands from the different bowyers. That's how it happened for me and boy am I glad I did it that way. I ended up with a Bob Lee Takedown Longdown that I have shot since 1994. I have 2 different sets of limbs for it. I have never bought another bow. I don't buy different bows like a lot of guys do so for me putting different bows in my hands was a very good way to approach my decision.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Bob Lee   Jacksonville Texas   Great company,great people........definately a takedown,can get different weight limbs made for it, start light, say 45lbs @ your draw length.  Call them they will be happy to help.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
I'm going to fuel Paul's addiction a bit and have him over to house and shoot my MOAB's.    :archer2:  

Should be a good time.

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by BDann:
I'm going to fuel Paul's addiction a bit and have him over to house and shoot my MOAB's.     :archer2:    

Should be a good time.
Bring him to some shoots too Brian!

Bisch

Offline tkytrac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
You can't go wrong w/ any of the known bowyers out there. Maybe even some of the unknowns. Becoming involved in a club or program that allows you to see and participate in all that traditional archery is and does will give you the exposure you are looking for. If you are serious, hop a plane for Compton on Father's Day w/e or make it to the Kazoo Expo. The Spring Fling get together is this month in AL. Go, look, shoot, share. You'll make the right choice. Again and again and again........LOL
Charter Member of Compton Traditonal Bowhunters
Recording Secretary for Michigan Longbow Association
Associate Editor of MLA's STICKTALK Magazine

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Def classifieds first.  If you do buy a new bow two great choices that are gorgeous and perform are Holm and Dwyer.  Starting at 750 and up and truly sensational performing are Leon Stewart's bows.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©