3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fat strings  (Read 204 times)

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
fat strings
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
My nocks fit best on a 16 strand FF string made by Black Widow.  (They normally supply them as 14 strands, I think).  My question is- am I sacrificing anything (performance...) by using a string of this size. Should I get custom strings made with less strands but thicker serving? My bows are black widow recurves in the 50-60# range.  Thanks.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fat strings
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
Yes. Get ahold of SBD strings, tell him what you want. He will fix you right up and I am sure you will be pleasently surprised with the results.  :thumbsup:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
YES YOU ARE SACRIFICING....but not a ton.

Play around with some thinner strings now before the season and get used to em.
Be forewarned...you may very well need to retune arrows with a lighter string.

Many stringmakers will do there best to serve the string to a dia that fits your nocks well.

Chad Weaver (LBR) of champion custom bowstrings is a great guy to deal with.  http://www.recurves.com/bowstrings.html
I don't have personal experience with any others.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Skinny string made my widow a little faster and a lot  quieter. Just my experience.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
I replaced the fat string on a Bighorn recurve with a skinny string and it made a world of difference.  Before the bow was loud and had a lot of vibration.  I changed nothing but the string and it became very quiet and dead in the hand.  I was amazed.

Although I'm sure not all bows will demonstrate that level of improvement, I am a believer in skinny strings.  Any bow I intend to keep will wear one.  I used SBD on the Bighorn but there are others here that make a fine string.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
My question is- am I sacrificing anything (performance...) by using a string of this size.
Very little by way of performance...probably 2-4 fps., possibly a little more but not likely.

Talk to the folks at BW about Ken Beck's string challenge.  Some bows may show a larger margin with a smaller string.  I haven't experienced it personally.  I have talked to shooters who feel they loose stability by going too small.

My experience with the BW "factory" strings is they don't pad the loops, and aren't as quiet as they could be.  I think they are machine-made, which doesn't lend itself to padding the loops?  The guys at BW could answer that question.

I have made strings for BW bows at my shop and never had to do to extremes to get them very quiet.  The "factory" strings are 14 strands of Dynaflight '97 (if it hasn't changed).  I generally use 12 (Dynafligh '97 or 8125G), with the loops padded to 18.  My bet is 16-18 strands of 8190 with padded loops would also work well.  Of course you have to do your part with tuning and silencer placement.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©