3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What Longbow to replace my Recurve?  (Read 895 times)

Offline OregonBlacktail

• Trad Bowhunter
What Longbow to replace my Recurve?
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I currently have an Morrison Gen2 ILF riser paired with TT ExtremeBF limbs. It has all the performace anyone would want and then some but the ILF luster has worn off. I liked the adjust ability at first but it's just to much. I'm never sure if it's set up right, do I have enough tiller, where do I want to set the plunger ect... The bow shoots great and I dont have any real issues but I just can't leave it alone, I'm always messing with it. So, the question is what longbows will give me the performance of my morrison in a one piece, shoot off the shelf set up. I would like to trade my set up if possible. I know Centaur is one but what about some others?
Thanks
Mike

Re: What Longbow to replace my Recurve?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
Arrow speed is just one part of the total performance.  Feel, balance, fun, looks, fun, accuracy, quietness all come in.  Sounds to me like you need a Northern Mist Whisper or a Robertson Purist or a St. Charles yew, so you can have a completely new path to walk when you want.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
I'm a recurve shooter too and of the lonbows I've had the only one I really wish I'd kept was a Griffin by John McCullough.  It's a hybrid design and mine was a 64" bow.  Probably the quietest bow I've ever had once it was tuned up.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
If your looking for performance try shooting an A&H ACS CX ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
I went from a recurve to a Toelke Whip, 64", and I love it.

You will get lots of different recommendations... good luck in your quest!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline OregonBlacktail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
You will get lots of different recommendations...
That's what I'm looking for. Thanks for your input.
Mike

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Check out the Stalker. I have a three piece but I know South makes a one piece. I chrono'd it last week. 191 fps 62 " 50#@28 450 gr arrow. That is within a hair of a Centaur.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Check out the Stalker. I have a three piece but I know South makes a one piece. I chrono'd it last week. 191 fps 62 " 50#@28 450 gr arrow. That is within a hair of a Centaur.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Sorry about the double post.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
Cari-Bow Peregrine, Dryad orion with the ACS CG longbow limbs, Talltines, Stalker, Eaglewing, Bigfoot, Centaur, Habu...these are just a few of the longbows i own or have owned that are high performance longbows.  There are others, but any of these will fit what you are looking for.  If you can try a few, that would be the best way to find out.  Performance wise, they are all close.
Good luck in your search!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
The two on the top of my list is Thunderhorn Heartstopper, and Centaur.

As far as performance goes, in general, a highly deflex,reflex longbow will be a faster bow than lets say a straight limb longbow. I beleive shorter limbs are also faster.

Performance for me is not high on my list although important. My preference is along the lines of comfortable,stable,well balanced,quiet,little handshock.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Been there with that same thing. Look at hybrid LB's they will give you recurve performance and  shorter lengths plus grips more like a  recurve.  you can go three piece and get a recurve grip or one piece bows for a little bit of a recurve grip like the ACS, Shrew, whip, Kanati and many others.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Rifle River Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
If your dead set on a longbow the whip is a great choice but why not stick with a recurve, Tolke would be a great choice again.
I've spent the last three years trying to make the longbow switch but always could just pick up my recurve and shoot better, so now I've gone back to the recurve.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
There are so many good ones it can be a challenge. You really need to shoot as many as you can and see what suits your tastes individual preferences are all over the place. Pick a price point and have at it what one person likes will be rejected by another. Being in OR you are lucky as there are some of the best bowyers right in your state-go visit!

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Cari-bow Peregrine is worth a look.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
You might check out the "aggressive r/d hybrid longbow appreciation thread.  These bows might be good transition bows from a recurve.

Offline OregonBlacktail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm not bead set on a longbow. I just seam to like them better than the recurve but its not by much.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
I'll throw my hat in ,These are the first three shots out of this bow by the new owner. Check out the site, God bless you , Steve

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
Test a few out is the only way you can know for sure if a bow is the bow for you..
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
your looking at a 3 piece longbow if you want something that is remotely similar in feel to what you're shooting now.  And boy are there some nice ones out now, I've shot the RER vortex 2, very nice, and Stalkers looked great at KZOO.  Oh and then you could just stay ILF and get a fixed wood riser and longbow limbs and still have a weight and tiller adjustment with limb swapping capabilities so you could keep your recurve limbs.  Confused yet?  I thought about selling my morrison gen 2 riser but i've never been able to tune a bowfishing arrow to hit where i wanted so its staying put.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©