3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: predator recurve spine  (Read 608 times)

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
predator recurve spine
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
58# @28 with 28 inch draw. Predator Recurve Classic. with velcro rest. im shooting 29inch CE heritage 250 with 250 grains up front and factory insert. shows stiff since im getting burn on the left side of my shelf of my velcro rest. i think it is beacause it is to stiff. i thought .500 carbon would be to weak and light. what are your... any thoughts as to what arrow you recommend. my form has been crossed out from the equation. i tried moving nock but seems that i have it perfect. Predator recurve owners please chime in and tell me what your shooting?
The Fishburglar

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: predator recurve spine
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
I'm shooting 55 at my draw of 30". I'm shooting some of my CE Heritage 250's full length with a 175 grain tip and some are cut down to 32" and they are flying good with a 200 grain tip. I know you have yours cut down three inches shorter than my shortest,buy you're 50 grains heavier and a few pounds heavier. It sounds like you should be in the ball park. I've got a few CE 150's coming in today or tomorrow. If you think for sure you're too stiff you could try some 150's and cut them back as need be,you would have a lot more room to play with.  I was going to try these others with some different bows I have.

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
i was thinking of trying out some 150's . i will try and setup a paper tune and check how the 250 grain tip flies. to me it feels good, but the velcro burn is killing me. my feathers are smooth no sharp parts to it that can be messing my rest. whats your nock set to? im at 1/2
The Fishburglar

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
150's will be too weak with any kind of weight on the front.

My step-son is shooting a 55@28 predator and a 150 with 175 was too weak at 29". I gave hime some CX Rebels that are .410 spine and 30" long and fly perfect with 175 on the front.

Might want to try some more weight up front or a longer shafts.

Eric

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
I have several predator recurves, 51,51 and had 55lb, I draw 28" GT5575 with 225 up front worked on all, cut to 29.25. The CE 250 is a stiffer shaft, the ce250 spines at 85lbs and the GT5575 spines at 75. You can use the 250's but you will need more tip weight if you already cut them all.

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Yes i cut them and have inserts in them. I will try and find the best to make them fly i guess after 250 grains it goes to 300. Next dozen will have 100 grain brass insert. I should get about 11 gpp which should hit hard out of this predator classic
The Fishburglar

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
If the marks on the side plate occur behind the rest (string side), the shaft is too stiff. If the marks occur on the shelf in front of the rest, it is too weak.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Those 250's are stiff.  To weaken them more  take out those standard inserts and put in some 100 gr. inserts.  You can heat a field point and pull them.  Just go easy on the heat and dunk in water quick when you pull them to cool the shaft. You can also hold a wet rag on the end of the shaft to help cool the shaft while heating the insert. I just pulled a couple inserts in some 150's.  I hear you can also nock out the inserts with a drill bit and whipping the shaft hard. I have not tried that.  

Are you also paper tuning or bare shaft tuning to see if the shaft is stiff?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
If the wear is on the outer edge of the rest it can be other issues. I just had a similar issue shooting my predator and finally fixed it. I was getting wear on the outer corner of the shelf and on the velcro. If your elbow is high at the draw or your string hand is pushing down on the nock of the arrow you can cause a similar effect to what you describe. Trying to tune your arrow or adjust your brace height and nocking point will not help if this is the issue.

Have you bareshaft tuned? How do the bareshafts fly? If you get a nock high then that is another indication of the above-mentioned, form induced issue.

Hope that helps

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
If the marks on the side plate occur behind the rest (string side), the shaft is too stiff. If the marks occur on the shelf in front of the rest, it is too weak.
yea its on the side a bit towards the rear shows a bitstiff..

Originally posted by xtrema312:
Those 250's are stiff.  To weaken them more  take out those standard inserts and put in some 100 gr. inserts.  You can heat a field point and pull them.  Just go easy on the heat and dunk in water quick when you pull them to cool the shaft. You can also hold a wet rag on the end of the shaft to help cool the shaft while heating the insert. I just pulled a couple inserts in some 150's.  I hear you can also nock out the inserts with a drill bit and whipping the shaft hard. I have not tried that.  

Are you also paper tuning or bare shaft tuning to see if the shaft is stiff?
only one problem... i super glued them in =[ since i didnt have anything and i got to excited to shoot. can you blame me? haha... and i bareshafted tonight. bareshaft shot to the left of myfletchced arrow.
The Fishburglar

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by FarmerMarley:
If the wear is on the outer edge of the rest it can be other issues. I just had a similar issue shooting my predator and finally fixed it. I was getting wear on the outer corner of the shelf and on the velcro. If your elbow is high at the draw or your string hand is pushing down on the nock of the arrow you can cause a similar effect to what you describe. Trying to tune your arrow or adjust your brace height and nocking point will not help if this is the issue.

Have you bareshaft tuned? How do the bareshafts fly? If you get a nock high then that is another indication of the above-mentioned, form induced issue.

Hope that helps
makes sense.. i will most def make sure my elbow is low, and i dont push down on the knock. i finally canted my bow to try it and started gettingan amazing grouping and thats how i began to bareshaft. since my velcro was torn i couldnt tell if canting the bow helped or not. i felt much more aligned accuracy was on point from 20 and 25 yards. i willput on new velcro tonightand see if after fixing my form will finally solve this, then i can get some arrows tuned! im going nuts.
The Fishburglar

Offline kunsangsean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
I feel ya, having the same issue and it can be real annoying. On one hand its not a big deal, but I've been replacing the rest every 3-4 shoots to protect the riser, and I'd really rather not do that.

I just sent my riser in to ron and mike to get a riser crack fixed, and am going to ask if they have any recommendations about the shelf wear. Will let you know if I get any good info.

Offline kunsangsean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
I feel ya, having the same issue and it can be real annoying. On one hand its not a big deal, but I've been replacing the rest every 3-4 shoots to protect the riser, and I'd really rather not do that.

I just sent my riser in to ron and mike to get a riser crack fixed, and am going to ask if they have any recommendations about the shelf wear. Will let you know if I get any good info.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
Supper glue can be removed with the two methods I noted.  

I have had problems with the shelf edge issues.  Nock point and form are the prime culprits.  Once you have tried higher nock points and gone from over stiff to over weak and not solved it, go back and look at your form.   Check bow torque, sting torque, pulling with lower fingers, elbow angle and so on.  

I get this issue only with shooting split finger. I can tune a bow right up with no edge of shelf issue shooting three under.  Maybe give that a try and see what you get.

Try some white electrical tape on the shelf and over the edge to show you marks.  That will show sometimes in one shot what is going on.  It can help you see results as you tune and adjust form.  Don’t be concerned with rubs on the shelf.  Look for them on the  edge of the shelf and edge of shelf material.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline jtrap5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
I have a couple of predators, and have found that nocking the arrow above the nocking point has solved most of the shelf contact issues. The minor contact that is left would most likely be due to form and release for me.
HH Wesely 60#@29
HH Half Breed 67#@29
HH Scirocco 80#@29
Predator 25th Anniversary #2 46#@28
Predator Classic 53#@28

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by kunsangsean:

YES PLEASE LET ME KNOW
The Fishburglar

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by jtrap5:
I have a couple of predators, and have found that nocking the arrow above the nocking point has solved most of the shelf contact issues. The minor contact that is left would most likely be due to form and release for me.
YOU MEAN PUT THE NOCK UNDER THE ARROW? AS IF I WOULD SHOOT 3 UNDER? OR JUST RAISING NOCKING POINT
The Fishburglar

Offline jtrap5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
Yes, put the nocking point under the arrow. Simple way to do this is to nock an arrow under the nocking point, then put another nocking point under the arrow nock, then remove the one on top. Try it. I got better arrow flight nocking on top.
HH Wesely 60#@29
HH Half Breed 67#@29
HH Scirocco 80#@29
Predator 25th Anniversary #2 46#@28
Predator Classic 53#@28

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
I always use a nock point top and bottom of arrow nock on all bows shooting  split and 3 under. Most nocks on carbons will slip up and down your string.  Keep a small gap to allow your arrow nock to move a little so the nock points don't spinch the arrow nock.

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Alright i bareshhafted and took everyones advice! i have almost no rug burn just very little as i was trying to find what weight tip to use. the 175 was showing weak as i shot thru paper and from 25 yards with bareshaft. the 145 flew beautiful and i grouped real good! from 30 yards the bareshaft was just a little under my fletched shaft but it was inline. most probably caused by me. i moved my knock point a bit higher now im happy as can i be. i just need to order some new field points now.
The Fishburglar

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©