3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 100 grain brass insert. stiff or weak?  (Read 757 times)

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
100 grain brass insert. stiff or weak?
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
will adding a 100 grain brass insert to my CE heritage 250 with a BOP 29 inch arrow stiffen or weaken my spine? been wondering this and cant find a clear answer.
The Fishburglar

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 100 grain brass insert. stiff or weak?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
When you add tip weight you weaken the arrow spine.

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
i was thinking that it would act as a footing and stiffen it up, espeacily a short arrow at 29 inches. i hope this thought is wrong hahaha
The Fishburglar

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
how long is it (it may act like an internal footing if over an inch)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
They are only around 1 & 3/8" long and with them being 100 grains the extra length does matter but not nearly as much as a lighter weight aluminum footing. Every time I have ever used them they weakened my arrow and made them much more durable.
James Kerr

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Just looked at Stu Miller's dynamic spine calculator and it should weaken your arrow quite a bit.
James Kerr

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
ISP hit it the first time.  Ad weight to the front, you weaken the dynamic spine.

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Awesome thAnks guys next set will have the brass insert. Then i can stump with them and play with my head weight
The Fishburglar

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
I use them in all my GT trads and CE arrows.  They reduce the spine.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
X3 Orion & ISP 5353

Kris

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
There are other factors that can affect it.Depends on your draw lengh and the cut of the bows riser.I bought some used carbons years ago that were 1" longer then my draw length and were showing alittle stiff.So I thought I will add more front end weight to weaken the spine.But the more weight I added the worse they were.They were showing even stiffer.They were in effect giving me a false reading because they were bouncing off the riser.Instead of flexing around the riser,the recovery of a carbon arrow is much quicker then other arrow materials.Now this was on a longbow cut off center 1/8".They would not tune no matter how much weight I added.I did tune the same spine arrow to the bow but they ended up about 2" longer.Just been my experience with carbons and longbows cut off center.

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
my draw is 28 inches and my arrow is 29 inches.. im drawing 58# predator recurve classic. with velcro rest split finger. i hope it can weaken my spine
The Fishburglar

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
now if there was a trick to remove superglued inserts from these shafts i will be golden if not.. i need a new set of arrows haha
The Fishburglar

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
They will act like an internal footing in that they will strengthen the front end of your shaft but they will weaken the dynamic spine of your arrow.

You can remove the other inserts. Install a field point. Use a propane torch to apply heat to the field point; just till everything is hot emough to let the glue loose. You will probably mess up a shaft or two till you get the feeling for the right amount of heat, but it will work.

Bisch

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
They will act like an internal footing in that they will strengthen the front end of your shaft but they will weaken the dynamic spine of your arrow.

You can remove the other inserts. Install a field point. Use a propane torch to apply heat to the field point; just till everything is hot emough to let the glue loose. You will probably mess up a shaft or two till you get the feeling for the right amount of heat, but it will work.

Bisch
with heat i can remove the insert?
The Fishburglar

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:

Bisch
with heat i can remove the insert?
The Fishburglar

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 02:50:00 AM »
100gr insert weakens the spine.
I put mine in with cool melt, I use a propane torch to heat up the insert (not a lot hence the cool melt) to install and also to remove it, if I need to. Use a steel blunt tip screwed into the insert to hold with pliers. I also dip the arrow tip in cool water after inserting or removing to cool and protect the carbon arrow fibers.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
You can also pull out the nock and tap the insert out with a metal rod.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Tickbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Someone a while back posted a tip for removing inserts that works good for me.  Take a drill bit that will fit inside the shaft, drop it in, and swing the arrow a couple of time.  The bit hits the back of the insert, tapping it out.  A word of caution; make sure you do this in a safe direction so the insert doesn't fly out and break a window!  Eric.

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Yes but be careful to only warm the insert and dont directly heat the carbon shaft as you will damage it. If they were put in with epoxy your kinda beat. by the time you heat the epoxy enough to take the insert out the shaft will be smoking and melting so be careful. screw a fieldpoint into the insert first then you can put pliers on that to wiggle it loose
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©