3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw weight increase, how much?  (Read 843 times)

Offline kunsangsean

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw weight increase, how much?
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:08:00 AM »
I'd like to get some heavier limbs and increase my draw weight. I just got into archery this past summer and currently I shoot 41# at 28, though I think I'm drawing 29 now. I've shot 45# fine, and when I first started I had trouble with my friends 50# bow.
I'm hoping to gain increased arrow speed and ke for hunting, but not overbow myself. I also think some more weight may help get a smoother release.
Any recommendations on how much weight is a good idea to step up to now?

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw weight increase, how much?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:57:00 AM »
I'm guessing it's a different answer for each person. I was shooting 45# for a couple years when I first started. I recently moved up to 60# limbs and discovered I am way over bowed at that weight. I struggled just to bring it to anchor. I kept practicing drawing that weight, though, and although I can bring it to anchor better, it's still hard. I'll continue practicing and slowly gaining strength, but I now realize I should've gone with 50# and no more than 55#. Of course, my experience is my own, and yours may be way different.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:35:00 AM »
I would not go more then 5-7 lbs I went from 45 to 52. It was a noticable difference but one I could work with.I could also see a big difference in arrow speed but was able to heavy up for better penatration.Its more about penatration then speed for me.a 10 lb jump is alot however some people can pull it off.I would start by shooting some bows 5-10 lbs heavier then yours with simular specs as far as bow lenth an draw lenth get your draw lenth rechecked.good luck.

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 05:02:00 AM »
10 lbs is quite a jump . I went from 45 @ 28, to 55 at 28 and struggled with it some. But like Ed already mentioned, everyone is different. I shoot 50 at 28, 47 @27, and i have no doubts about it putting an arrow clean through a deer with a good shot. I'm  still working on the 55 @ 28 limbs. getting better everyday. I shoot the bow ok in the yard, but i know how hard it can be to draw when you have been motionless for hours and it's 20 or less out, or you have to shoot from an awkward position . 45@28 would be just fine. You will see definite improvement in performance with 5lbs more draw weight, and you can always up your weight more later. Iam making the transition to the 55 way easier after buying the 50 lb limbs. If you can, get both. I'm glad i have the heavier limbs, makes 50 feel like nothing..

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 05:04:00 AM »
10 lbs is quite a jump . I went from 45 @ 28, to 55 at 28 and struggled with it some. But like Ed already mentioned, everyone is different. I shoot 50 at 28, 47 @27, and i have no doubts about it putting an arrow clean through a deer with a good shot. I'm  still working on the 55 @ 28 limbs. getting better everyday. I shoot the bow ok in the yard, but i know how hard it can be to draw when you have been motionless for hours and it's 20 or less out, or you have to shoot from an awkward position . 45@28 would be just fine. You will see definite improvement in performance with 5lbs more draw weight, and you can always up your weight more later. Iam making the transition to the 55 way easier after buying the 50 lb limbs. If you can, get both. I'm glad i have the heavier limbs, makes 50 feel like nothing..

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
When you first started you had problems with your friends 50, but how about now?  How does the 50 feel?  Shoot your friends bow some and see if you can make that jump in weight and still have good form.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline kunsangsean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys, that is helpful. I haven't found a lot of trad archers in my area so I don't have a lot of opportunities to shoot different weights. But I'm thinking now after these comments that it'll be worth driving to a pro shop to shoot some more 45 and 50s before I drop a couple hundred dollars on new limbs.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
Well you have a few issues to resolve first. 1)Is it worth the performance difference to only move up 2-3 lbs? Probably not. Is 10 lbs to much of a move? Most likely it is too much of a move, unless you use it as a training bow and slowly work into the bow. I think 5-7 lbs is still a good move and you will see some performance increase. This would be easier to work into, but this still needs time to make sure you are not going to compromise form for the sake of shooting a heavier bow. If you compromise on form you will compromise performance of the bow and potentially risk injury!
USMC 82-86

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
5-7 pounds is a pretty good way to move up
James Kerr

Offline wazu02

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
You could also add an sbd skinny string if you don't go over 53lbs for increased speed. What type of arrows are you shooting.There are a few different ways to get more speed instead of shooting a heavy bow. Try playing with Stu Millers calculator or the arrow whiz on 3 rivers website just to get an idea of how much you can gain with different set ups.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
Here is a great excercise to make you bow strong and help you to determine when you are ready to increase your draw weight.

http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/FMaster/formaster_exercises.htm
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Retnuh Wob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
You might try buying some vintage bows especially if there are not a lot of other trad shooters in your area whose bows you can try. I have bought and sold a number of older trad bows on this site and other places. They don't have to be collector grade, just shooters. Some very nice shooting Bear, Wing, Shakespear, Browning and other make bows can be had for for between $100 and $200. You can buy a bow, try it for while and then sell it later and only be out the cost of shipping. If you start out with full lenght arrows spined for a lighter weight and then cut them back as you graduate to heavier pull weights you can keep arrow costs down as well. That way you can graduate to heavier poundage bows in smaller stages so you don't overbow yourself and develop bad habits. You can also try different AMO lenghts and grip styles to see what you like best.

Once you shoot trad enough and find out what you really want in a bow you can save up and get a really top line one.  A lot of guys end up getting into collecting (or like me acumulating) and that can be fun too.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
I too would say 5-7.....

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline kunsangsean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
So I got a chance to shoot some #50 recurves (and longbows) at a Cabelas the other day. I could bring them to anchor fine and I'd say shoot well for the first 5-10 shots, then I'd get less accurate probably from fatigue. Definitely felt it in my back muscles after 30 arrows total. With my 41 lb bow I probably shoot 100-150 arrows in a session. So maybe I could pull off 50 or a few lbs less...

Offline kunsangsean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
I sure did like how fast it spit out the arrows, and also how clean the string released from my fingers (I think from the added weight)

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
If you are still using good form and can get 20-30 arrows per session that is all I would shoot until you get used to the weight. The 50# will give you a workout vs 41# so I would not shoot past the point where you compromise good form. You will adjust to the weight if you just don't try to go to fast. Drawing and holding at full draw is a good exercise to help build up to that draw weight.
USMC 82-86

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I started at 42# @ 28"  a little over one year ago, and now my bows range from 47 to 52# @ 28".  My draw is 30 1/2 ".  If I go over 52#, I generally don't shoot the bow well.  Just a little too heavy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©