3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sheep hunting in the Yukon  (Read 934 times)

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
Sheep hunting in the Yukon
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Hello guys,
I going to go for a sheep hunting in the Yukon this summer (August).
I have no experience with a sheep hunting, so I would like to know any advices from you guys, which can to help me. I going to go myself.  
Thank you

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sheep hunting in the Yukon
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Lucky you .....always been a dream hunt of mine...I don't think I could do it physically now. Hope you do it and have a great time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
Get the best binoculars you can afford, put them on a tripod and spend your time sitting behind them.

Make a plan for your stalk and memorize landmarks.  Write them down in a little notebook if you have to.

If you can talk a friend into it, a partner to direct you on the stalk can increase your odds immensely.

What part of the Yukon?  I rifle hunted sheep there in the far north Ogilvies.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
The only thing I could offer is how to dream about it.

Good for your and good luck!

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
Thank you Ron for your support. Steve, I wanna go for sheep hunting in the south. Zone 7 or 9-03. The zone 9-03 is restricted to bowhunting only, but I have to obtain a permit through the lottery system on this zone.

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
Read Sheep Hunting in Alaska by Tony Russ.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Hey Martin, I'm not invited  ;)  I will apply for RedRidge as well.
Cheers
David

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
Hey David. You will! That is great, maybe we will can go for the sheep hunting together!
Take care
Martin

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 03:45:00 AM »
X2 on the Tony Russ book. He has another one, I think it's called Sheep Stalking, it's good as well.

I assume you are going after Dall sheep ? Their vision is phenomenal, you need to stay out of sight a long ways  off, avoid being sky-lined. After you find some rams,consider spending a day patterning them instead of going right after them. Also, they have this odd thing where after they are spooked and are running away, when they get out of your sight they speed way up, it can throw you off when you're after them.  

Definitely one of the coolest critters to hunt. Hope it goes well.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
Have had the opportunity to hunt sheep many time on Gray Ridge.

Always hunted the Annie lake end of the ridge, A few times on the Bennett lake side. found the best way to get to where a person need to hunt, was crossing at the narrow Inlet side of swamp draining  into Anne Lake. From there followed a low pass going up the mountain. Valley was very good for camping, with lots of good drinking water

Climbed  to high ridges everyday, would spend most of the day glassing.  Better to glass down on the Rams when ever possible. If your seeing many Ewes and lambs, move to a new area, Don't ever remember seeing the Rams and Ewes together in summer months,  The rams for the most part where always near the highest points on mountain, The warm the weather, the higher the Rams appeared to go. If Rams have been chased before you, look for the Rams 100 meters below or a 100 meters above tree-line, Mostly in draws the run up or down the mountain, Rams like hiding in narrow canyons. On a map of Gray ridge, is a formation called White rock, Have found Rams hiding there many times.

When it comes Time to stock Rams picking your time and location to make your stock. Ram are in groups of 2 to 15 or even 20. Stocking Rams in a open meadow is almost impossible with a longbow. Had my best stocks when Rams went into large rocks and cliffs. Making noise or rolling rocks is not a problem when stocking Rams Try to stock above where Rams have gone into boulders or cliffs. Always move slow and low, and glass steady as you make your stock. Rams can sometimes spot you as you aproach, Don't panick, just frezze and dont move, lay flat for 10 to 30 mintues they will go back to feeding. If the lead Rams are not spooked, Frezzing has saved my A$$ a few times.

Ram will have beds  that they dig and use daily, Take your time to learn their daily movements, Rams are very much creatures of habit, Rams are normaly in the same place same time, year after year, I cant stress enough !!  take your time. Once you spook Rams, Rams can be very hard to find back !!

Saw some of my bigest Rams in low creek drainages. near or at treeline.  Ram was normally alone,  Believe the Ram was past it's prime and chased from the Flock, Seen this two times on Gray ridge and many times while guiding.

People sometimes wear the white painters suits, its worked for some, never has for me,   Gray Ridge Is very hard on foot wear, get the best you can afford. Camo from head to toe and a face mask are a must, Tones of gray work very well.

Never skyline no mater how tired you feel.  Allways move Like the rams are over the next hill, Spend 80% of your time glassing, 10% of your time moving, Hopefully 10% stocking, Spend time looking where you think the Rams should be, But dont forget to glass where you think they never would be.
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
Practice a lot of steep downhill shots. Practice longer yardage like the 30 - 40 yards range.  Sheep are "soft". You don't need a really heavy arrow. Don't sacrifice distance for heavy arrow weight.  Be in shape.

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Can't sleep

MY first Dall Sheep Ram was so ugly!

My first bow killed Ram On Grey Ridge was killed at 7 feet. Had been laying in the sun baking for 3 days watching 9 Rams.  All 9 Rams just stayed in a big green bowl, Rams would move to there bedding area 11 am sleep for a few hours, then feed again into late afternoon,  Ram did not change from thier routine or venture from the bowl for 3 days.  Was giving all members of the flock names between my naps. There was a Bossy, Pretty, Fatty, skinny, Wow, Bromie and Ugly

Ugly Intersted me, He had one horn that looked like a big club, His secound horn grew  around and into his nose, he was just ugly!!
 On the 3rd day, Ram bedded down in there normal places, After a few hours, all Rams but Ugly got up and start grazing away from a sleeping Ugly. This went on for allmost a hour, The main group of Rams had feed out of Ugly sight,  I could see a trail that ran between Ugly and the main group of feeding Rams. The trail went by some large scattered boulders. Thought if I could get to the trail, when Ugly wokeup,  Ugly would follow the trail looking for his buddys,  The main group of Rams would not see my aproach to the trail, So moving like a snake and running when possible I moved to a large  boulder, 7 feet from the trail, Did not have to  wait very long. Soon heard Ugly coming up the trail, He moved past me, giving me a shot at 7 feet, Would like to say the shot was perfect, but was a bit far back,

Was my first Dall sheep bow kill. The horns are at the game branch office in Whitehorse Yukon ,  but you have been warned,  his name was Ugly
paul

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
Sounds like a great hunt.......but no pics?!!

That aint right. :~)

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys for help! It is a lot a great informations for me.
I use a heavy arrows, I will buy a lighter arrows and a lighter broadheads also.
Paul, an informations from you is very interesting for me. You had the opportunity to hunt sheep  many time on Gray Ridge. If you can gave me a more informations of Gray Ridge, I will very grateful.
Martin

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Marv Clyncke in Colorado has a video on hunting Alaska I think 3rivers carries it.
Also, I would contact him directly, that man KNOWS his sheep and goat hunting and could probably get you set up with the knowledge of the methods he uses to glass and how to go about your stalks to get in range for a shot.
I think he is a member here, just use the directory at the top to look for his contact info.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Marv Clynke and Scott George aka (Hornhunter) would be to guys that I would talk to about sheep hunting and equipment you will need.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Sadly no pictures that I can find, x wife has or burned,
paul

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
Get the best binoculars you can afford, put them on a tripod and spend your time sitting behind them.
Top quality 10 power binoculars are an absolute must, and a good spotting scope is almost as important. Best would be Swarovski, Leica, Kowa, Zeiss or comparable spotting scopes with HD optics and 65mm objective lenses for quality and lighter weight than the 85mm versions. The least expensive acceptable spotting scope would probably be the Leupold  12-40x60 Gold Ring HD scope. As others here have written, most of your time will be spent glassing. That helps save energy and time and keeps you from spooking the animals as much. A good, lightweight tripod is required, and it must have a quick detachable feature, because you don't want to carry two tripods -- one for the spotting scope and another for the binoculars. I like the Outdoorsman lightweight tripod that is expensive but will do what you need. Get the panning head rather than the trigger style head.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
I would also give an endorsement for the Tony Russ (Ross??) books. I read one and found it to be very practical.

Offline Tucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
books found at tonyruss.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©