3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sheep hunting in the Yukon  (Read 935 times)

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sheep hunting in the Yukon
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Thank you guys! I have a one more question. I have a good clothing and a pack(Sitka, Kuiu), I have a good boots (han wag) , but what else I will need? What a gear is necessarily for a sheep hunt? I know, the best of binoculars is recommended, but I would not want to spend two thousands and more for a binocular.
Thanks
Martin

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Very light pack stove, Water treatment, Mole skin, Lots of socks, Few changes of long underwear,headlamp maybe. { dont get very dark in summer ) Bear spray, Duck tape, ( good for fixting what ever and allso  okay fire starter.[ Wrap the duck tape around your drink water bottles}  Lip balm, Tensor wraps and very small first Aid kit

Have been using a small loon UV flashlight for water treatment, so far so good, The 2 sock system has worked good for me, Tensor wraps help the knees a ton when doing the long downhill stuff.  Carrying a few changes of long underwear that dry fast beter then carrying to much clothing,  In my day pack allways carryed Plastic, good to wrap in when cold wind.

The most important thing,take what ever you need to keep happy feet.  When your feet go the hunt is over
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Well, since Marv was mentioned:

Here's an  interview  with Marv and here is his    gear list .

hope this helps
homebru

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Homebru:
Well, since Marv was mentioned:

Here's an  interview  with Marv and here is his    gear list .

hope this helps
homebru
That was a great equip list!

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the link
Great looking gear and gear list.

Here is a link to a snare, Its feed me on a few sheep hunts

http://www.denainalifeways.org/?q=node/27
paul

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kohout:
Thank you guys! I have a one more question. I have a good clothing and a pack(Sitka, Kuiu), I have a good boots (han wag) , but what else I will need? What a gear is necessarily for a sheep hunt? I know, the best of binoculars is recommended, but I would not want to spend two thousands and more for a binocular.
Thanks
Martin
Martin, if you can't see them, you can't kill them.  You can find the best optics for a lot less than the list price if you are patient and look around.  They will save you a   LOT of climbing.

I spotted the ram I killed at 6 miles thru my Zeiss spotter.  I was able to judge his size at two miles.  The best optics are worth more than most will ever know.  They will last forever.  Mine have cost me about $100/season now...my goal is to get that down to about $20 per season    :thumbsup:

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Paul, look like we should go for coffee one day!! I'm sure martin would really like that to!!
I will try to get there this august to try on a sheep. i'm sure there is a bunch of other/ better place for sheep in the Yukon to, that doesn't need the special permit.

Cheers
David

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:

Originally posted by Kohout:
Thanks
Martin
Martin, if you can't see them, you can't kill them.  You can find the best optics for a lot less than the list price if you are patient and look around.  They will save you a   LOT of climbing.

I spotted the ram I killed at 6 miles thru my Zeiss spotter.  I was able to judge his size at two miles.  The best optics are worth more than most will ever know.  They will last forever.  Mine have cost me about $100/season now...my goal is to get that down to about $20 per season     :thumbsup:  [/b]
I was perfectly happy with my pair of Steiner binoculars till I got to talking to Steve about the same thing your asking.  All I can say is be careful, the guy makes a lot of sense when he talks about hunting gear, to the point where I just received my Zeiss binoculars in the mail today, an they are everything everyone says they are.  If you look around, you can get a barely used pair for a bargain.  I called Zeiss before I sent out the check just to see what they had to say about the Zeiss warranty, and they told me it is a lifetime transferable warranty.  My kid's kids will be able to enjoy the same binoculars and also have the warranty when handed down to them.

Just don't get in a rush to buy, and know a good deal when you find it (or at the very least, know someone that can tell you to jump on the good deal when it comes your way).
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
I was perfectly happy with my pair of Steiner binoculars till I got to talking to Steve about the same thing your asking. All I can say is be careful, the guy makes a lot of sense when he talks about hunting gear, to the point where I just received my Zeiss binoculars in the mail today, an they are everything everyone says they are. If you look around, you can get a barely used pair for a bargain. I called Zeiss before I sent out the check just to see what they had to say about the Zeiss warranty, and they told me it is a lifetime transferable warranty. My kid's kids will be able to enjoy the same binoculars and also have the warranty when handed down to them.

This is a very good point, 1 good pair last a life time for all hunts.
paul

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Hello guys. Thank you again for your support and help! That is a many useful informations.
Homebru, thank you for the gear list.
Paul, thanks for a great ideas from you.
David, you have the right, have to be a more good places for a sheep hunting in the Yukon.
Steve, which a binocular or  a scope you recommend for me?

Thank you
Martin

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
You don't need the latest and greatest that command top dollar such as the Zeiss HT, Swarovision ELs, or Leica Ultravid HDs. Let's call these 99.5%

If you get a used Zeiss FL, Swarovski EL, or Leica Ultravid, you will get all the bino you will ever need and never need to upgrade.  Ever.  These are your 99%.

Down to say the 90-95% level are your Leica Trinovids, Minox, Vortex Razors, Howa, Cabelas Euro.

Below that, you are better off finding a good pair to borrow or just keep saving for a pair above.

A tripod with a good head helps a   tremendous amount when glassing.  I hardly ever glass freehand anymore.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
We just need to find these places... There is at least one place I kind a know close to town, that would be good...
Anyway, next time Paul is in Whse we should get together to pick his brain... If he doesn't mind!!

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Might go into whitehorse soon?

Starting to warmup a bit, Thinking of going into Whitehorse, Us country folk dont go to city much, { coming on  year for me }. Am chasing the stone sheep this year,  Stones are some hard to find.
  You and Martin should think of coming up for spring bear.  See bears allmost daily here on Ross River
 Whitehorse area and west off Whitehorse super for Dall sheep. Got my First 30 years ago behind Fish lake,  Gray Ridge is a hunt That people dream Off,  Its commen to be stocking big Rams everday
paul

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
The spring bear hunting on Ross River, that sounds great for me. I would be glad to do! Thank you for the invitation. I will come for the spring bear bowhunting. Where you going to go for the stone sheep hunting?

Martin

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 12:52:00 AM »
Not sure where I will try hunt stones this year, will depend on my summer scouting. Live right in the heart of stone country,  And ever year Rams turnup in the strangest places, South Canol allways a fav. of mine. Sheep creek  close to lapie lake allways good
paul

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
paul

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »
Paul, thank you for sharing your experiences a knowledge.
Martin

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Took my new (to me) Zeiss 10x42 FLT binoculars out at midnight this morning just to see how good they were.  We have maybe an inch of snow on the ground, and with. 1/2 moon out last night, i was able to focus in on the bark of an oak tree a little over 50 yards away, and it was as if I was standing 2 feet away looking at the same tree at 10 o'clock in the morning.  

When I got home at 5PM and opened the box, 1st thing I did was go out in my sun porch and watched snowflakes land on a pine tree 150 yards away.   I then focused in on a radio tower 1 1/2 miles away, and with the naked eye, I can only see the blinking red light and a hazy blob in the shape of a tower.  With my Zeiss, i was able to make out every piece of steel in the tower.

I can honestly say it is THE BEST money I have spent on hunting equipment.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by pruiter:
here a link for none yukoner to see what we talking off

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&va=canol+yukon  
Those pictures are fantastic!  The Yukon is the destination of my dream hunt someday.    :campfire:

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Joeabowhunter

If you ever comeup send me a email, we can guide canadains here on a hunt ever 3 years
paul

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©