3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sheep hunting in the Yukon  (Read 937 times)

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sheep hunting in the Yukon
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
Steve O is spot on. Don't think you even need the Swarovski EL to get into the 99% range. The Swarovski SLC binos have pretty much the same optics but a different body style that I actually prefer, and they cost less (but are still expensive). My all time favorite is the Leica Ultravid HD. Still, that is based on lots of personal preference aspects of the binoculars, not just the optics. The best of the Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars are optically equivalent to the Leica Ultravid HD's, so take your pick on what seems to you to be the best of the best. I have been all over the world hunting with my old Swarovski SLC binoculars, and I have never thought I was at a disadvantage by not having one of my newer, more expensive, optically superior (by a little) binoculars. Like Steve says, 99% is good enough. However, I now usually pick the Ultravid HD's for my hunting trips -- I already paid for them, and they're the best.

On the other side of the optics, my favorite spotting scope is my Swarovski HD STS 80mm. There are some other spotting scopes in this class, but I prefer the totality of the features on my Swarovski over the other comparable scopes. But when it comes down to packing a spotting scope up a mountain (or many mountains) looking for sheep, I might choose the 65mm version of the scope to save weight and bulk, or even take along my little Leupold Gold Ring 60mm folded path spotting scope. One story about spotting scopes in the mountains of the Yukon Territory. My best friend, his guide and a cook rode on horseback out to an area where no hunters had been for at least 20 years, and then he and his guide hiked up higher during the days to glass the surrounding mountains for moose. My friend had purchased the Kowa Prominar 88mm scope that has outstanding optics but is not fully rubber armored like the Swarovski. He glassed with his Leica binoculars and the Kowa scope, seeing several moose at long distances, and was able to judge the antlers well enough to have an idea of their size. Finally, using the Kowa scope, he spotted a moose on a distant mountain that appeared to be huge. He would never have spotted the moose without the amazing optics of his scope because he could not see the moose at all through his binoculars or through the guide's Nikon scope. My friend was able (and willing) to travel for half a day to get within range to shoot the moose, which was the biggest moose taken in the Yukon in 2011 and one of the top 10 taken there ever. It's hard to over emphasize the importance of top quality optics, especially in vast wilderness areas like the Yukon.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 01:03:00 AM »
Thank you Allan for the interesting story. I would like to ask you. If you recommended a binocular for bowhunting on the Yukon, which one will winner?
Martin

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 01:09:00 AM »
Steve, your opinion interests me also.
Thank you
Martin

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
Martin,

When you get into that 99% level, it gets down to personal preference.  The images you see are very, very close and it comes down to "feel".

As Alan said, a few years ago, Swarovski upgraded the SLC series glass to that of the EL.  Great.  But, the way the ELs feel in my hand  along with the way The focus felt on a  recent pair I tried at Cabels would have me saving up a little longer for the ELs every time.

My pick, if I had to pick ONE binocular for the Yukon?

Well, if I had unlimited cash it would be a 10x42 Swarovski EL With Swarovision.  They are incredible.

If I was spending my own money I would find a pair of lightly used 10x42 Leica Ultravids.

With that said the bino I will be taking the next time I go to the Yukon are my 10 x 42 Zeiss FL T because I was able to find a new pair at an incredible close out price last spring. That $$$ overcame the slight ergonomics preferences I have for the Leicas.

Again, do not overlook putting your binoculars on a tripod  with a good head. It is amazing how much more you can see when you sit down for a while and study with the binos.  I will grab some pics and weights for you later.

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
One thing you might consider is the repair departments and warranty of the big 3. I have sent my Leicas back and their repair dept. is terrible. Swarovski has a reputation for being top notch. My Leicas are nice, but if I did it again I would get the swaros.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
I got the two Tony Russ books. And started on them yesterday. Interesting read for sure.

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
David, did you buy the books in the Books Store on Main Street?
Thanks
Martin

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by pruiter:
Joeabowhunter

If you ever comeup send me a email, we can guide canadains here on a hunt ever 3 years
Paul, I hope I can take you up on that offer someday.  
Thanks,
Joe

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Martin, I did. Pricey, but by the time they get here and you add shipping etc... I'm sure you can find them cheeper, but buying local is good to!
Cheers

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Thanks David

Martin

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
you'r welcome. I just "ordered" a pair of HangWag boots today....

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
wow. I have one pair of HanWag, the awesome boots. Great for a sheep hunting.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 01:04:00 AM »
I hope so... I'm still waiting on price and availability.... With my feet size, they are the only one available locally that will fit!!

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
We have same size of boots I think. If you wanted, you will try my boots for sure.
Martin

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 01:20:00 AM »
I tried a size 12uk, it was a bit tight... So I ask them to look if they could get a 12.5 uk... We'll see. Thank you for the offer!
David

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2013, 01:42:00 AM »
Hanwag is bit tight, but I never had the problem with this. I have Meindl boots with 200gr isolations also and it is more width, but  I  prefer my  Hanwag anyway.
Martin

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »

Martin--

On the right is my mountain setup.  It is a Slik Sprint Mini with a Jim White Fluid head.  It weighs 2lb and 2oz.  I will never be without it, no matter how steep the mountain.  It helps that much.

There is a quick release plate on it so I can go back and forth between the bino and spotter when needed.

For reference, to the left is a full size Monfretto tripod with a Bogen 322RC head.  That is definitely a truck camp setup!  It will handle the Duovids and spotter at the same time.

The big tripod is not extended at all, it can be used for standing if I want.  The Slik is halfway extended, it can be used from a chair, but is usually nestled between my legs on the side of the hill for stability.

Here is a shot from sheep spike camp in Colorado.

I found a  lot of that country could be glassed with the spotter rather than the binos.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
I'm loving this thread. Nice to see other people's set ups.  I guess I am old school (or maybe just stupid) when it comes to glassing. I like to flop down on my back and roll over on my side because I am very comfortable glassing with my binos oriented almost vertically (looking sideways at the mountain).  I find that position very relaxing and pretty stable even with 10 or 12 power binos.  Although you have to have the tripod for the spotter, laying down with binos is more comfortable for me.  I get a cramp in my back just looking at Steve's picture above. Others might cramp up or give up after 5 minutes of laying on their sides and looking at the mountain sideways...

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Hi Steve, thank you for your advices. I have a one more question. What you prefer for scouting. A spotting scope or a binocular?
Thank you
Martin

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Martin, Colorado has been the only place I have hunted where you could actually use the spotter to glass.  Typically the spotter is used to assess trophy quality or save a LOT of hard walking/climbing. If I could only take one it would be the bino.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©