3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sheep hunting in the Yukon  (Read 936 times)

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sheep hunting in the Yukon
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013, 04:09:00 AM »
Practice shooting in different positions, Mostly laying down and on your knees, Sitting on your butt, holding bow almost horizontal.

I tried to pursue a flock of rams in a open field. spent 3 hours sliding on my back getting to rams,  Got to within 20 yards of a good Ram,  Sat-up and shot, Shot way over the Ram, Had my 70 pd longbow that hunt,  Don't think  ever got bow to full draw. no idea where my anchor was. from that day on, have always practiced shooting laying down.

Bow length can be important

Stocked a Ram in a creek drainage one-day, Stocked Ram going up the mountain. Had very good cover for the stock, big boulders and small Willow, Got to 15 yards very easy, Took the shot but something felt weird. Watched the Ram run away, Blood was running down Rams front leg, But Ram just kept running, Turns out my lower limb hit some brush shooting uphill and my arrow was low,

Next morning followed up on the Ram, Maybe walked 300 yards and could see the Ram laying on its side 400 yard away, on a high nub,  Ram was laying on its side, head down looked as dead as dead. I gave a yell of joy. The Ram stood up, never to be seen again

Heavy arrows have worked better for me, Many days its so wind in sheep country, I use same arrows for sheep as moose.

Carrying arrows is a pain sheep hunting. Started with a bow Quiver, learned to hate that very fast, Feathers did not look very good after a week of swimming in thick Alder, and crawling for hours on end. Small Cat Quiver works the best for me.

Bear spray is a must !!  August blue berries  are ripe,  lots of bears in that 100 meters above tree line, Bears eating berries don't like to run  Give them lots of room, Bears hides not worth harvesting in August

Picking a camping spot is important when it comes to bears, The best camping spots are always beside a nice creek with good water. Its also the best habitat for sow Grizz with cubs. camping on a ridge above and walking down for water always a better idea. I bury my food under rocks, it don't stop a bear. but wakes me up to try  scare bear away

just a bit on late season sheep hunting

October can be a great time to hunt sheep, Sheep will move down in the day time to the snow line,  Watch for Rams  feed on yellow Alder leaves, Try do most your glassing where leaves still hanging on. Its very hard to get into bow range when there feeding in Alder { its just to thick and to many eyes?}  Setting up on there travel path to and from feeding has worked best for me.

Rams still bed in the high country at night,  try to climb above the Rams and figure there travel way , Your wading in snow most times doing this, From what ive watched, Rams don't always go down, same way they come up. Watch there tracks in the snow { if snow is drifted or tracks snowed in, feel the track, the frozen side of the track is the direction the animal is traveling ) setup to ambush the Rams as they travel back and forth
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Paul,
thank you for the informations from you. It's the information could to help me. If I sleep on the top of mountain in the summer time, it will reduce contact with a bears?
Martin

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Try not to make your camp in a high bear traffic area, Bears spend most Their time 100 meters above tree-line and 100 meters below  tree- line in mid summer. Small streams or springs that are common in high mountain valleys are prime habitat for Sow Grizz with small cubs.  Sows with small cubs will live above the 100 meter zone to avoid male bears This brings the Sows with small cubs into high mountain valleys.

What am saying, Much better to make your camp on a ridge above a stream or spring and walk down to get your water, this keep you from the high traffic zone, Sow grizz will avoid your camp if your not in their travel or feed zone

Bears will cross over  high rocky passes. But just to get to the other side, they don't live in high rocky passes, where we hunt sheep

Remember a time i was hunting sheep in a heavy fog. Don't think Visibility was more then 50 meters. heard rocks rolling in a pass below. I rushed down in hope it might be Rams, Worked my way to ridge edge, could hear rocks being walked on, coming my way.  Out of the fog walked a 300 pd male Grizz.  Wind was in my favour. Bear just walked right by at 30 yards and keep trucking over the pass and down the mountain
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline Kohout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
Thank you Paul.
Martin

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
Just found this thread, searching for info on sheep optics.  Still excited Kohout?  Ready for the hunt?  Promise to post hunt pics?

I am a sheep rookie, took my $300 binos and $150 spotter to CO for first sheep hunt with a (gasp) tripod from Wal-mart; I thought that constant headache was from 12,000 ft altitude but it was actually from crappy optics.  Took a month to get rid of cross-eyes!  Wife said "look at me when I am talking to you" and I replied "I am trying, just give me a minute..."

I finally have a few $ in bank and can afford decent optics for my next sheep hunt, great info here, thanks.

Oh yeah, Kohout.  Find a way to practice those very steep UPHILL shots; I didn't and it cost me big time.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2013, 05:09:00 AM »
Good luck. Reading jack OConnor stories in Field &stream mag at ten years old down at the barber shop is mostly where my hunting itch started .

by the way guys.   It's STALK.... Not stock... A big cat stalks his prey... A twenty year old STOCKS shelves at the grocery store
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
I havent read every post.....but in reference to glass, and some thoughts I have.....

The best glass you can buy is one thing.  And it doesnt mean the BIGGEST glass!  10x42 is TOOOO big!  great glass but waaay to big to carry and glass with.

Too big of glass is over doing it if you're carrying a spotting scope.   I've got a pair of 8x steiners, 8x swaro's, have used a host of other binos....the guys jumping to 10's+ seem to make the same comment, they're TOO much glass! Great glass....but just too big to lug around sheep country on a foot hunt!  

Now you've got to remove your glass's to get the scope mounted to see if that ram's legal?  I want a good glass 8x30, or even a 10x28 leica pair of compacts just to find sheep.   I can typically tell at a good distance rams vs ewes/lambs though not always.   When I'm going after a ram I've usually spent a considerable amount of time looking sheep over I dont need power up close.  8x32's have served me well, I WILl find a pair of gold ring 10x28's if i don't succumb to a pair of leica or swaro's of similar size before hand.

Weight is a HUGE factor! The army did a study and came up with 1 pound of boot weight equals 10lbs of pack weight......

most, heck probably ALL of us on our first mountain hunts went in WAAAAY too heavy!!!  You're going to pay for light gear!  There's some very basic things you need, anything after that is luxury.  The question comes down to what can you live WITHOUT!   I frequently have conversations with guys flying in super cubs on a moose hunt here in AK (fellow TG'r also) and it sounds like they take all but the kitchen sink!  Imagine not needing the extra flight of gear in.   How much it limits them in distance (though I dont want to pack a moose a zillion miles either lol, it WILL severly limit you in sheep country!)

My first pack was 77lbs on a sheep hunt in the wrangels 16 years ago.   now I'm down to 53lbs for a solo 12day sheep hunt with no cush bag left at the strip, including a spotting scope and I think I can cut that a couple pounds in tent and sleeping bag weights.  Late hunts my weight goes up due to a heavier bag and long undies.   Needless to say there IS a cush bag (junk food, extra warm gear, instant potatoes, I keep it small if possible, its come in handy in almost every fly out hunt I've been on!).  The cush bag can be whatever you want..m.ake it worth while and good.  After 12 or 14 days of dehyradated food and oatmeal...grease and sugar are hot commodaties.  The instant "loaded" potatoes will really fill ya up.  The bear creek soups are also great if you have room but a mess to clean up....at that point I don't mind the clean up I have nothing but time.

You're going outfitted.  First and foremost ask the outfitter what you DONT need....read that DO NOT NEED TO TAKE!   That may or may not mean you dont or shouldnt bring it.  A small titanium pot, 3oz stove and the medium can of fuel (likely picked up at your desitnation) can save your bacon!   snowpeak gigapower and titanium pot. you dont need the lid if you keep it in the mesh bag but I do carry mine for some crazy reason ?!?!

I prefer platapus style water bottles.  They are light take up little to no room you can carry a bunch (I carry 2 sometimes 3).  I also carry a 2.5 gallon sized one for camp.  Sheep country can be quite dry!!!  I hate climbing off a mt once a day for water...HATE HATE HATE IT!   2.5 gallons plus my small bags are enough for a number of days depending on what I can find in the mts...ALWAYS stop for water!  no matter how much you dont think you need!  A gutted camel back is slick!  no need to fish out water bottles you can sip water enroute.   YOu can buy the hose system for clear platypus bags..worth every penny!  I'd also consider a pouch in your pack for it.   I dont have one and lay it on gear.....every now and than I have to stop if it gets pinched.  

Your style of hunt (horses vs back pack) is going to dictate a lot of the gear you're going to need or not need.  

Some other books of interest.  Anything by Duncan Gilchrist.  Trophy rams of the brooks range is a great read.  He predates Tony's book.  Both are out dated gear wise but will get you a good start.  I'm still inspired at the old timers packs and weight.   He also has videos if you can find them.  And obviously Tonys books.

Jack Oconners sheep hunting book is a good read but it doesnt come cheap.  I have a copy on the night stand....fun to read from time to time.  You might be able to find a copy at the local library.

think light, and than cut that in half.  Drill holes in tooth brush'es or dont take one.   a cotton rag is nice, but not needed....no cotton undies!  socks are needed, but be realistic! as with the rest of your gear.  

Oh dont forget a book.  I have a small bible I carry....I've carried a ton of books some waaaay to heavy for sheep country lol.  but its inevitable you'll be tent bound a day or three.

one thing I need to find..is a lightweight pair of hippers.  Glacier socks arejunk, hippers are too heavy.  I need to try and keep my leathers dry.  Once they're wet, they NEVER get dry!  This year I'm going to try a light weight pair of neopren dive shoes.  They weigh around a pound.  if you've ever had to walk acrossed a creek barefoot...you'll know what pain's like when you get to the otherside. arctic water is ICE cold!  Walking on fire might be more comfortable or downright soothing LOL.   I figure if I have to get wet (and I do on every hunt I go on it seems), I might as well keep the leathers dry and my feet in good shape.  I can get my legs warm again but my feet take awhile to recoup after walking a icy cold stream.  

Take care of your feet!  without them you're on the most exspensive camping trip of your life!  If I had to pony up and make cuts, this is one piece of gear I WOULDNT do it on!  I'd buy a cheap pair of glass before I buy another junk pair of boots!  

I've probably said the same thing 20 different ways.... Think about what you can cut, or ways to get light!  A pair of 8x or 10x28 leica or swaro's is plenty good for sheep if you are carrying a scope....and they are LIGHT!!!  Anything bigger than my 8x32 swaro slc's (or comparable) is TOOO BIG and not needed, a 10x32 in the same size as the 8x would be ok as you're not upping weight....too much magnification can be detrimental also.

I'd pony up and carry an extra pot and stove (I prefer the snowpeak gigapower for most of my hunts, I dont remember off hand the pot  but its NOT large!).  It holds enough water for a 40 oz mt house with very little to spare.   QUALITY BOOTS!  NO cotton MANTIES period.  Keep your boots dry at all costs!!!!  2 weeks of wet feet = trench foot, 02' the bottoms of my feet peeled big time!  to the point walking was difficult in sneakers!  NEVER drink unfiltered water at all costs.   Aqua mira is cheap as is iodine tablet back ups!  carry enough bag, but dont go crazy!   I prefer an external frame.   I have 0 experience with internals on sheep, I dont like how hot they get ya and dont believe you can carry the weight you can with externals (barneys anchorage alaska is a sweet rig, the frames worth every penny!).  I use pillow cases for game bags.  Again due to weight!  

A tube for arrows is nice.   I have yet to find one, but my old sheep buddy carries one on goat hunts and its slick!   I believe they are sold at drafting supply stores.  It looks similar to the one 3 rivers sells.  it allows you to strap arrows to your pack safe and sound.  You can still have 3 or 4 in a quiver.   I prefer a side quiver even for sheep.   My next go to would be a bow quiver.  

xtra strings, carry a  couple!

razor blades and a small hunting knife (knifes of alaska cub bear is a sweet knife) is all you need!  razor blades for turning the face on your ram.   Duct tape 5-10 in a bundle stick in your first aid pack).  leave another 5-10 in  your 'cush' bag at the strip/base camp.   use your knife for the more broad open areas, the blades for eyes ears finishing the nose lips.   Make sure you cut behind the pits/shoulder area for a shoulder mount!  if you get blood on your hide, use a wet rag and get as much off as you can BEFORE it dries!  

Gut your first aid pack, you dont need most of the crap that comes in them.   ie scissors, splinter picker etc.   But you should carry something in case of emergency.   As with all your other gear, find things that do double or triple duty.  Dont forget asprin/ibuprofin pain killing something.   I dont use them but the one time you need them they are worth having.   Be realistic with meds....you're on a starvation diet doing an endurance style hunt.  If you think you need it, bring it and leave it in your cush bag at a minimum!  Your life is not worth a sheep!

Lastly TWO walking sticks!!!   If you're putting miles on you dont need bow in hand.  If you're packing a heavy haul you're likely tagged out, again no bow.  BRING TWO...leave one in camp while hunting.  

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of stuff.   You'll get plenty of idears from guys whove been there.  We've all got  a system that works for us.  I keep seeing the 10x42 listed as good sheep glass and its a great glass...if it wasnt like carrying a brick around your neck LOL!  

Good luck, post pics, there's something special about sheep country only a sheep hunter knows after weeks of pain, craving a beer and the nastiest greasiest burger you can find.  You'll be waiting for the high country again so prep yourself for the diesease!!!!

almost forgot one thing.  My buddy takes two things, bullion cubes and a handful of crystale light in the small puches.   They are a nice to have warm drink.  you can boil a little extra water and drink it while your dehydrated foods heating up.   I started doing the crystal light and really like it.  

dont wait till your a few weeks out to pack/play with gear/food!  you'll be too late by than!  

good luck!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
I wouldnt take just one (bino vs scope).....that last 1/2" (legal vs non legal) is about impossible to see even in 10x at longer ranges.   hence the lighter lower power glass for finding sheep and trying to decide rams/ewes or other points of interest...and the tripod and scope for zeroing in on things.  

I have the leupold 12-40x60mm with a leupold back packer tripod.  Its quite small and I hated the thing at first.  By the end of that hunt I was on the prowl for one of my own...I now have 2...light weight and compact and can handle my scope easily!   weight weight weight....(disclaimer, the only horses I have is my 2hp feet)

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
I bowhunted Caribou, Grizzly and Moose in northern BC/ Yukon border.  My guide was a bowhunter from Whitehorse.  He lives in Whitehorse and has invited me back to hunt with him again.  He does not work for a company, but himself.  If I was to hunt in the Yukon, I would call him and get some advice on equipment, areas, animals, etc.  Sorry, I don't have his phone number with me, but if you did some research with a directory or internet, I am sure you could find him.  His name is Troy Hope - Whitehorse Yukon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©