3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Help With Setup  (Read 274 times)

Offline marahat

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Help With Setup
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
I've had my recurve since I was 14 I believe. I shot and hunted with it for several years and then went to the compound. I've recently decided to get it back out and shoot it. And now I want to be ready to hunt with it again. This time, I want to have the correct arrow for my bow. It's an Archery Traditions (made by Dan Quillen) Patriot and it's 47# and 62". I believe I'm drawing it 28". I just want an arrow that will kill deer and pigs. I've been told to go heavy. What can I do to test it? Should I look at a chart of some sort? I've been shooting various old aluminum arrows and an older carbon easton acc 3-39/440 was actually shooting the best out of it. But so light. I don't have alot of money to spend. And I could trade away some of these arrows, they're good arrows. What do you guys recommend I do to test and tune that won't break the bank?

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Help With Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
THIS IS JUST MY 2 CENTS...GAMEGETTER ALUMINUMS.. HEAVY AND CHEAP. PERIOD.
The Fishburglar

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
As far as aluminums go...2016's will more than likely shoot well out of that bow as long as you tune them.  Bare shaft tuning works well, but in my opinion paper tuning works just as well and is easier.  Especially if you are new to it.  I've got some 2016's I can send you if you want to try them.  Let me know.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:48:00 AM »
A few suggestions.  Try to find a local traditional archery club.  You would hpefully be able to find some mebers with a range of arrows to try with out having to spend much money.

I am guessing Easton 2016s or 2018s would do the trick as far as aluminums.  You can shoot carbons and load the tip with heavier points to increase total weight.  As you increase point weight, you may need to increase arrow sping with the carbons.

Do a search for extreme front of center (FOC) for suggestions.

You can buy a test kit wtih field points of various weights to tune with.

Good luck!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline marahat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »
Awesome, thanks guys. I am going to buy that test kit. I think there's a trad archery club about 45 minutes drive from me, I'll check it out. What do you guys think of VPA heads, I was thinking about trying those (later of course, when I get tuned a little better). They make em all the way to 300 grains. How many gpp for my arrows do you think I should go with? 11? 12?  I read one article that said that you can never have too much foc, is that true?

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
It's all a matter of opinion for me I like 9 or 10 grains per pound for whitetails.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
There are a lot of factors to consider when tuning an arrow to a bow, and many different methods.... but all of them require a consistent anchor point, and a good clean release.

Changing from using a compound bow with a lighter holding weight, using a mechanical release aid, to a trad bow using fingers, can be one of the most humbling things you've ever done in your life..... it can also be one of the most satisfying experiences you've ever done.... but it's going to take a LOT more practice, and lots of patience.

I would recommend not overwhelming yourself with bare shaft tuning, or paper tuning suggestions until you've spent enough time getting good consistent shooting abilities established.

Get up to about 12-15 yards and work on your form with what ever arrows you have. if you can find another archer to shoot with you and watch you, it helps pinpoint irregular draw length, creeping, and alignment issues which all effect arrow flight.

once you start grouping your arrows consistently, a pattern will show...THEN it's time to make some fine tuning adjustments to your arrows.... now if they are flying really bad right now, there are 2 basic things to adjust. your string nock will adjust porpoising up and down. and your tail waging from side to side can be adjusted with tip weight, and adding more material to your strike plate.

If you go out on a rifle range to sight in your 30-06. you need to shoot well enough to form a group of 3 to 4 shots before you adjust your sights..... same theory applies to arrow tuning.

2016 aluminum shafts would be a good economical place to start. i'd say start at 30" length 145 grain points and get you form established. then fine tune from there...   Kirk

Offline marahat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »
I've had my dad watch me shoot a bit. I'm really working on making sure I have a consistent anchor point right now, I feel like I'm getting it down. I shot better today then I did last time. I'm improving each time. You're right though, Kirk II, I just need to slow it down and practice form. Then worry about tuning. But here's what I'm thinking at the moment, and see what you guys think. I'm thinking an arrow with a spine of 470 to 500, somewhere in there. And an arrow weight (minus the point) of around 400 or so grains. Then, from there I should be able to choose a point ranging anywhere from 125 to 200plus. That'll get me up around 11 to 12 gpp for hunting. Using the weight of the point and cutting the arrows to different lengths little by little, I should have a good starting point with this, right? I'm going to buy a field tip test kit from 3rivers whenever I start this. I'll probably sell several sets of these older arrows that aren't quite what I need and then buy a dozen of something a little closer. Or maybe a half dozen of two different types and figure out which one is best and sell the other six to buy six more of the better arrow. Does all this sound right?

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 02:05:00 AM »
Kirk offered very good advice.

Before you get too far, I strongly recommend buying or borrowing a dvd called Masters of the Barebow Volume III.  Rod Jenkins explains very clearly the elements of good form and offers a very straight forward and well explained process to develop good form.  Rod is a well known archer.

I personally recommend you purchase it.  I have gone back and reviewed this video several times, especially when I find my shooting has slipped. I am not perfect, but I am much more consistent since watching this video.  Be sure to check out the Shooters Form Forum as well.

Warning!  The more you shoot, the more addicting traditional archery becomes.  That leads to more bows, each of which requires different arrows.  Then you start buying bows to train others.  Yeah it was for others, not yourself! Get help before it is too late!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
Mark, pm sent.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
2016 aluminum .500 deflection carbon. I shoot both from a 52 lb patriot at 29.5 with 250 and 350 up front on the carbons. I shoot same from my 47lb longbow. That said everyone shoots different need to experiment before dumping a lot of money.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
I will say 2018 and .400 deflection were too stiff for me with my 51 lb patriot but my buddy is shooting .400's full length with 270 up front.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©