3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help choosing 1st recurve  (Read 337 times)

Offline freebird134

• Trad Bowhunter
Help choosing 1st recurve
« on: February 02, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
My new years resolution is to develop my trad skills and am going to buy a beginner bow to learn on.  I have a 50# longbow that's too much for me to handle now, so I was thinking about getting something 30-35# to learn on.  I was going to get a Samick Sage  because of the price and the good feedback, but we are getting more than expected back in taxes and I'm thinking about other/better options.  Can you help?   :)  

I was leaning towards the Hoyt Excel with cheap 30# limbs to learn on, then upgrading to heavier limbs in the future.

But I was also thinking about a nicer Samick take down or one-piece.

Then I discovered this beautiful Bear Alaskan 30# on auction (   web page   )

Any other good suggestions?   Thanks!!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Help choosing 1st recurve
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
The sage is a best buy new or used.  Perfect to learn on and performs as well as many more expensive bows.  Truly If you're passing on the sage I would try the classifieds first for a used custom or vintage bow.  If new you might consider a Martin x200 or something similar.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline freebird134

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Also dont rule out a nice entry level ILF setup.  I would save my money on the Hoyt unless you just really want a Hoyt. [/QB]
Everyone seems to say the Hoyt is the best entry level ILF setup?  What do you think is a better choice?  I can get into a Hoyt Excel and 30# limbs for ~$300 brand new.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Ack you got me, brain snafu, I was picturing a different Hoyt when I wrote that post.  Yes yes that's the ticket,
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
I dunno lots of folks love the ILFs for adjustability etc.  the resale would be good no doubt, but me personally I like simplicity and a minimum of parts or adjustments out in the woods or whatever.  Just for that reason the Sage has my vote hands down for value and basic good performance.  My vote is save your tax money get a Sage.  Then when youre through keep it as a beater or sell it get back almost all your little bit of money and get something you truly drool over.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline freebird134

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Nineworlds: Maybe you were thinking of the Hoyt Buffalo, dorado, or Gamemaster.  Guys seem to think they are over priced.

I agree with you entirely: simplicity is best.  Eventually I want to graduate to my 50# Bear Montana longbow.  But I thought the Hoyt, with all it's adjustability, etc would be a good crutch while learning!

It seems the only downside of the Sage is that it's kind of ugly  :)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by freebird134:
Nineworlds: Maybe you were thinking of the Hoyt Buffalo, dorado, or Gamemaster.  Guys seem to think they are over priced.

I agree with you entirely: simplicity is best.  Eventually I want to graduate to my 50# Bear Montana longbow.  But I thought the Hoyt, with all it's adjustability, etc would be a good crutch while learning!

It seems the only downside of the Sage is that it's kind of ugly   :)  
Yeah, that's what it was, those Hoyt's to me are nice but a bit heavy on the name if you get what I mean.  Go with what excites you.  I mean if you spend the bucks on the ILF rig you will get most of your money back out, and yes they do work, and you could find a used one too.  As for the looks of the Sage, yes not the prettiest thing, but if you're handy you'd be amazed what a dremel, some sandpaper and finish work can do LoL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Cavalry Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »
I am a newbie also and went thru 4-5 different bows.  Finally broke down and got a Samick Sage.  I highly recommend it!  I went over to the shooting form thread, read about 9 thousand post, worked on my arrow set up and shoot 4-5 times per week.  I also put on a raised rest, really improved my shot groups.  You can get lighter limbs and hunting limbs and still be under 300 bucks.  I plan to "upgrade" to big name bow as soon as the "Swamp Sage " makes meat.
"Lifes tough, Its tougher if your Stupid!"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
ILF is sweet way up go, can work your way to higher poundage with same set of limbs. I got a nice used one with three sets of limbs on here for four hundred. 40, 45 and 55.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
ILF is sweet way up go, can work your way to higher poundage with same set of limbs. I got a nice used one with three sets of limbs on here for four hundred. 40, 45 and 55.
Well there ya go!  That's why the 'Gang is IT
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline freebird134

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
Well there ya go!  That's why the 'Gang is IT
I'm really glad I found this forum.  I hang out on ArcheryTalk a lot, but the trad folks are limited there.  Thanks for all the responses guys!!!

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
I recently got an ILF set up and would recommend it. The limbs are readily available used or new at affordable prices. Moving up or down in weight or from recurve to longbow is easy.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
If you want a bow that you plan on keeping and later upgrading to high quality limbs go ILF. If you are just looking for a introductory bow to build poundage hard to beat the price of the sage and extra limbs a little later are also inexpensive.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline freebird134

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
What kind of rest would you guys put on an ILF like the Excel?  I was thinking about using vanes at first, just as I perfect form and until I get a fletcher that will handle 5" feathers (I use a Helix blazer jig now).

Offline jlowrey75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »
Ilf set up. No doubt. I have three. Love the versatility. Set the limbs @ 45# and go practice, make an adjustment to 52lbs and go hunting.
BlackWidow PCHX 60"47@27
A&H ACS 60"49#@28
Centaur Chimera 60"50#@28

Offline freebird134

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by jayl2012:
Ilf set up. No doubt. I have three. Love the versatility. Set the limbs @ 45# and go practice, make an adjustment to 52lbs and go hunting.
I've heard lighter is better.  I was thinking of getting a 30 or 35#. What do you guys think?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©