3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string question  (Read 222 times)

Offline rkelly

• Trad Bowhunter
string question
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Have always made my own strings from B50 and am going to try D97.
Did a search on here and some have said to shorten strings as fewer strings will not twist up as short. Going from 14 strands B50 to 12  D97's.  
Will change total length how much????
Assuming same amount of finished twist.
Am I making this understandable??

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
I find when you make a 8 strand D97 you need to shorten up alittle.But a 12 strand D97 I make them just like a B50.A 12 strand D97 is strong enough for upto a 100# bow.A 12 strand with .024 Halo comes out to a good diameter for most nocks,depending on which nocks you plan to use.I use the same peg and measurement on B50 and 12 strand D97 on where I start to twist up a string.If I go down to 8 strand D97 I'll start with 1/2" to 3/4" shorter before I start to twist.This is what works for me,you may have to try some for yourself.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
I generally go about 1/2-inch shorter with D-97 vs dacron.  Can go the same length, but will likely have to twist D-97 it a little more to go the same brace height if you do. A lot depends on how tight you make the braids/loops and how much you stretch the string before you put it on the bow.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
No right answer--depends on you make strings.  For me, I go a little more than a half-inch shorter with Dynaflight '97 than with dacron--most, if not all of that is because of the twist I put in the bundles when adding padding to the Dynaflight.

Offline rkelly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
How important is the padding?
How much?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©