3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short hunting bows!  (Read 683 times)

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Short hunting bows!
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
What would you say is the best short bow for hunting. I am looking for smooth non-stack draw, quick and accurate. I am looking for all of this in a bow of 60" or less and my draw is 28.5".

If you can let me know why you shoot the bow you shoot and what you like best about that bow it will be a big help. What is the longest shot you can make with that bow and be accurate?
USMC 82-86

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short hunting bows!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
I just shot a widow kb yesterday. it was only 54". it was a great drawing bow and smooth but not quite to 28.5". I think that bow in a 56"er would be awesome. I have a Black Forest longbow thats 54" and I just got done shooting it. It draws smooth to 28.5". Im sure there are several others out there as well.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I think Bob Morrison can fix you up. I have a set of his MAX I limbs that make a 56" bow on my 17" DAS riser. He can make MAX I limbs for DAS, ILF or for his regular take down bows. Really nice shooters and very easy to quiet down. Oh, did I mention how fast and accurate they are?
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Under ^60, goodness I think your choices ar endless.  I have  58" takedown recurve that is smooth and fast.  I have a 58" R&D longbow that is the same.  I just sold a 56" Thunderchild that was smooth and quick.  My longest bow is a 60" Horne takedown, also smooth and stable.  I think your biggest challenge will be finding the grip and wood combo you like the best.  It is my belief that any bow from one of the many reputable bowyers out there will provide you with the smooth draw and arrow speed you want.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
50" Ambush recurve by Two Tracks.  I love my longbows, but in the thick tangles we will be hunting for rabbits tomorrow, my Ambush gets the nod for ease of use in tight areas.  I draw 3 under, and pull to about 28 1/4".  Love shooting the bow, and I have seen a good friend draw and shoot this bow out to 31 1/2".  

I wish I could find someone to make me a 50" R/D longbow that comes in at 50# @ 28" with a 3/16" past center cut riser.  Anybody out there have any leads on someone who has done this, or atleast willing to talk to me about it?  I think it would be a superb turkey bow when combined with a rancho safari ghillie suit.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
For a Recurve:

RER Arroyo 54" or 58"
RER XR 58"

Both static tips and awesome.

For a longbow: 56" Treadway

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
I'm actually going back to longer bows...and mainly longbows...(back on my Howard Hill kick  :)  LOL!) but...I've enjoyed learning to shoot "short bows".  The two recurve makes that I was/am most impressed with that I've owned/shot are the Cascade Golden Hawk 52" and Two Tracks Ambush..I think mine was 50" or 52"...these are not only great looking superbly crafted bows, but great shooters as well!!

I owned and just sold a real shooter...a Cascade Brush Hawk Longbow 56"...that shot with great authority...and again was a beautiful bow!!  

These bows really work great in blinds or if you are tucked backed into some brush along a game trail.  

I still have a Fred Bear A riser and limbs that makes a 56" recurve and it darn sure shoots great!!  I've taken a lot of fish with that bow, plus my first "Trad" Whitetail  :)
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
I 2nd Bill about the Morrison. I've never considered a bow shorter than 56" and I have a 26" draw. I'm' shooting a couple of Morrisons that are 52" and 54". Both are the ILF's mentioned above.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
I'll second Mike on the Two Tracks Ambush Recurve. It's an awesome little bow and Chuck's work is top-notch.

If you like a longbow, Nate at BamaBows builds a beauty called the Expedition as short as 58 inches. His carbon fiber sleeve is flawless if you want a 2pc.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
Lee Hoots just north of you in North Carolina makes one of the nicest short bows you will find anywhere.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
To me 60" is long at my 29"!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Other than Lee, I agree with Bob Morrison. I am a little bias though since I have a Morrison Phoenix with the Max1 limbs.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Jason Kendall's "Kanati" hybrid.... great shooter and points great ! Also a dream to tune....
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by kestimator:
I'm actually going back to longer bows...and mainly longbows...(back on my Howard Hill kick   :)   LOL!) but...I've enjoyed learning to shoot "short bows".  The two recurve makes that I was/am most impressed with that I've owned/shot are the Cascade Golden Hawk 52" and Two Tracks Ambush..I think mine was 50" or 52"...these are not only great looking superbly crafted bows, but great shooters as well!!

I owned and just sold a real shooter...a Cascade Brush Hawk Longbow 56"...that shot with great authority...and again was a beautiful bow!!  

These bows really work great in blinds or if you are tucked backed into some brush along a game trail.  

I still have a Fred Bear A riser and limbs that makes a 56" recurve and it darn sure shoots great!!  I've taken a lot of fish with that bow, plus my first "Trad" Whitetail   :)  
It is funny you mention your return to the longer bows and in particular the longbow. I am going through this right now. I really like the idea of a shorter bow for close quarters, but I am really leaning toward a Hill style as well. I know they are different animals maybe I need both.
USMC 82-86

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
I use a 48" Hwarang Korean Bow with EFA bowquiver. Works well and this bow draws to 31" by design. I will build an improved version in 46" for draws up to 26".

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I am shooting a 58 inch Dwyer Endeavor at 28 inch draw. Very smooth draw and seems to launch an arrow pretty fast.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
S.C. Hunter,

If you are "Bow Sick" like me...you never will really "know" what you need/want LOL!!!!  On the bright side...whatever trend I tend to follow at the moment.....always teaches me stuff and provides enjoyment  :)  LOL!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by kestimator:
S.C. Hunter,

If you are "Bow Sick" like me...you never will really "know" what you need/want LOL!!!!  On the bright side...whatever trend I tend to follow at the moment.....always teaches me stuff and provides enjoyment   :)   LOL!!
Tell me something I don't know. I see bows that look fantastic but they just don't work for me. I hear all the comments of others who have picked up their most recent treasure, and the wheels start to turn. I do know that I am mostly a longbow shooter but I will give a recurve a try if it just looks to good to let it pass.

One note about recurves. I will say I have never really been blown away with the look of the BW recurves. But I tried one at a shoot one day and wow first time I shot one I was hitting my spot and it was fast. So I guess your right that search never stops.
USMC 82-86

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
I have a 29" draw and have yet to find a hybrid LB less than 58" I really enjoy shooting split finger. I keep looking but have settled on a 60" for my short LB for now. Three under makes shooting shorter bows a little more comfortable.Recurves are a different story. I have found more than a couple that were nice shooting at 56 & 58". Whisperstik, Hoots, and Black Widow PCH have been good experiences for me so far. I only got to shot some Hoots bows once a few years ago, but I ready liked the recurve say lot. I don't know if you can beat a Black Widow PCH for a short stable hard hitting 3 piece bow. The site window is workable for split high anchor and fairly vertical bow. The 56" bow I shot recently were very smooth a far as I could stretch one out at around 30" even though the recommended draw length range stops at 28.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Hoots recurve 54"
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer