3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow tuning  (Read 329 times)

Offline Andrei101

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow tuning
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:58:00 AM »
Hi

Got my last three arrows broken at target practice and need some advice on how to tune some of the remaining savable ones again for practice until I receive the new dozen of shafts and other components to make myself a new set.
When I made the first set I left the shafts about an inch longer so when some of them would brake at the tip, they would still be long enough so I could reuse them.
My draw length is about 27 inches and my bow is a Bear Super Grizzly 50# @ 28. The arrow weighed about 478 grains. Now it would be about an inch shorter but I think an inch of cedar shaft wouldn't weigh so much. But I guess the spine of the shaft becomes heavier if the shaft is shortened.

Here's the problem:

I'm left with
 4 x 11/32 port oxford cedar shafts with a spine of 45#-50# with fletching and knocks - measuring about 28 inches.
 4 x 100 gr field points.

I think I could make the field points heavier by melting some led in them. Should I do that? If so, the thing is: with how many gr should I make the field point heavier for optimal super amazingly breathtaking accuracy?
I would like to enter a competition a month from now and for the time being I'm only concerned about tight groups at 20 yards.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow tuning
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
You could try Arrow-fix.  It is an investment, but could be worth it if you are going to stay with wood.  I would get a supply of heavier heads so you can have them for now and in the future so you can shorten damaged  arrows and keep using them.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
I'd try 25 grains.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Look up 'reparrow' these work great for arrows that break behind the point. If you are sticking with wood order points in various weights and order shafting in larger quantities. Have you tried Doug Fir?
Most likely you can just put your 125 gn point back on the shorter arrow if you have only lost an inch. Once the feathers are on they hide a multitude of sins.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
Remember the spine of an arrow is measured at 28". If your arrows were longer than that to begin with then you were wreaking the spine per say. How did your arrows fly before?
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Andrei101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
That reparrow/ Arrow-fix thing looks nice, thanks for the tip.

I didn't try fir yet and don't yet know what species of fir are available in my area but some of my friends say that the fir shafts that are for sell around here tend to require more straightening than the port oxford cedar.

The old arrow setup flew just fine, I will melt a ~25 gr fishing led shot in a field point before attaching it to the shorter shaft and see how it works out.

Thanks guys!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Andrei, can you tell us about bow hunting in your area please?

Offline Andrei101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
I can't fully guarantee this info since all that I know is heard from friends who didn't actually went hunting. One sure thing that I know is in Romania bow hunting is illegal.
However I heard that the closest area from my place where one can bow hunt is Bulgaria. They say you have to have a IBEP certificate. Unfortunately although I live 30 miles from the border with them I can't understand a single word in Bulgarian since they speak a slavic language and - like the Russians - use a different alphabet from ours. The most notable game out there I guess should be wild sheep, jackal, boar, fox, rabbit, deer and pheasant.
In Hungary also I've heard that one can bow hunt after taking a local exam. It should be recommended since the Hungarians take anti-poaching measures quite serious so you could actually encounter some wildlife out there.
Game: boar (they have a strong tradition in boar hunting with hounds), fox, rabbit, pheasant and deer.
In Slovakia also it should be legal with IBEP certificate.
In Ukraine and Russia my guess is it might be legal and they should have a great variety of game species including brown bear and elk.

In the rest of Eastern Europe to my knowledge bow hunting is permitted only on private property inside of a fence.

In general there are not so many invasive species in the wild out here and they don't present a tremendous interest for the bow hunter - like some tortoises and some species of very small fish.

One should also know the fact that the game of Eastern Europe is also heavily poached with various methods raging from slipknot traps to suppressed fire arms.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©