3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: big ten dead  (Read 628 times)

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
big ten dead
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
we just found a humongous ten point laying dead in a food plot. it was bleeding and foaming out of the mouth and left a trail in the field of foam and blood. it didn't have a tooth in its mouth, and it's hooves were five inches long.

other then that there was nothing wrong with the deer. no punctures, no broken legs, nothing. just looked like a healthy deer otherwise. anybody know what this could be. we don't have cwd in maryland(supposedly) and i have never heard of blue tonque here either.

about the deer. its the largest buck i have ever seen with my own eyes. from what i can tell he was a pope and young deer. perfect ten pointer 11 inch g2's, 9 inch g 3's and 6 inch brow tines. it's g4's were about 3 inches and he was 2-3 inches outside of the years. he was a giant and found dead within 60 yards of a stand i hunt yesterday.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: big ten dead
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
Died of old age..it happens more than you think...  ;)    ;)    :bigsmyl:

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Maybe it had a Gene problem??

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Call your local Warden and have the deer checked out before you find more that way just to be safe.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
well the landowner just called the DNR hotline and told them what was going on. he said whoever he talked to just seemed like they could care less.

-Ted Nugent

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Yeah, if the DNR down there is like ours in PA, they're more interested in giving you a fine than finding out what happened to that deer. I wouldn't mess with it, and DEFINITLY DON"T TAKE THE HORNS!!  Maybe it was hit by a slow moving car and punctured a lung with a rib, that would make him appear ok, and bleed from the mouth.
Bret M. FullER

Offline 9 iron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Sounds like blue tongue,hope not,it can really decimate an area. Mike

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
this what was wrong with that deer its not only happening in ky .

Hemorrhagic Disease Suspected in Deer Deaths
in 11 Kentucky Counties

View Map

Aug 14, 2007

Learn more about hemorrhagic disease

Frankfort, Ky. - The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources is investigating recent reports of white-tailed deer deaths in 11 counties, primarily in western Kentucky. Officials suspect the animals died of hemorrhagic disease.

The most significant outbreak is in McLean County, where more than 20 deer have been reported dead. Officials have also received reports of deer deaths in Breckinridge, Christian, Daviess, Hopkins, Logan, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Simpson and Webster counties. People usually find the dead or weak and emaciated deer near water.

“Hemorrhagic disease is caused by a virus. We see large outbreaks about every two years in Kentucky,” said Danny Watson, a wildlife biologist with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.

With deer hunting seasons opening next month, hunters are concerned about the safety of eating deer that may be infected with hemorrhagic disease. Hemorrhagic disease is not infectious to humans.

Biting gnats transmit hemorrhagic disease between deer. Hemorrhagic disease usually occurs in late summer and early fall because of the increased presence of these biting gnats. Although deer affected with the acute form of hemorrhagic disease are most often seen in late summer, deer with chronic cases can be found in winter.

Hemorrhagic disease occurs annually in the southeastern United States, but its distribution and severity of occurrence widely varies. Less than 25 percent of the deer in a population usually die from the disease, but death rates can be higher in certain cases.

Signs of the disease depend on the strength of the virus and length of infection in the animal. Hemorrhagic disease causes fever, labored breathing and swelling of the head, neck, tongue and eyelids. Infected deer may die within 72 hours, or they may slowly deteriorate for months from lameness and starvation. Early in the cycle of the disease, animals may show little or no sign of infection. Infected deer that survive for a period of time experience lameness, loss of appetite and greatly reduced activity.

In some instances, outbreaks occurred simultaneously in deer, sheep and cattle. This is not due to the disease spreading from deer to livestock or vice versa, but is an indication the biting gnats are present in significant numbers to transmit disease
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Sounds like EHD to me (blue tongue) We went through a bad bout of it about this time last year in my favorite hunting grounds lost alot of deer to it.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Dale Hajas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
There have been some deer in SW PA had also die from EHD. Must only occur at this time of year.

I wonder at how many corn piles/bait for trail cameras may be helping spread this? Just a thought mind you....
"So long as the new moon returns in Heaven a bent, beautiful bow,
so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men"

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
I think we're missing something from the clue of the extended hooves.

I can't recall exactly, but I know that was a key clue in some type of cloven-hoofed animal disorder and/or disease issue that I read about a year or so ago.

I'd call someone else from the DNR, like the main state office...don't let some little minion yahoo give you the runaround...FORCE someone to get out there and collect that animal!

Just my two cents...
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
dale hajas how does the bait spread it. i had heard bait did but i didn't know how.

yea i just really want to find out what killed it. i don't want any more deer to die from it. it sucks that it was such a nice buck, but at least we can see how our management has been paying off.

-Ted Nugent

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
Did you get any pics?  I would like to see his size!!

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »
I am a police officer is a rural area that has a good deer population.    I have worked many, many deer/car crashes.    Some of the deer look fine but are bleeding and foaming at the mouth.

Look at the sides of the antlers to see if there are any markings that may have been left from the roadway.    (Rad-Rash)
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »
i thought the same thing as Jim, quite possible it was hit buy a car, causing internal dammage and it bleeds and foams from the mouth, i'v seen it often, depends if theres a road near by?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 05:29:00 AM »
Its the  Hemorrhagic disease guys I have seen alot of deer and they die with red foam coming out of there mouths actualy the foam is white but it has blood mixed in it . I know of at least 100 dead deer here in wesstern ky found in the last 2 weeks its pretty bad
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
see a lot of people have been telling me probaly blue tongue because the long hoovees is a sympton, but that was the only sympton that it had. it's neck and tonque didn't swell up or anything. also about possible being hit by the car it was a quarter mile from a road on the other side of the corn field and it had a foam/blood trail that came out from the woods.

-Ted Nugent

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
o yea and  one more thing the deer didn't have a single tooth in its mouth.

-Ted Nugent

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
I would contact one of the states wildlife biologists directly. I'm sure they would be very interested and helpful.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
I found one like that few years back, it had rabies! DNR could have cared less when notified but the Dep of Agriculture jumped on it immeadiatly. They had tests back within 24hrs, five of us got the shots!!!!! Try and get someone to test it - if you start foaming at the mouth it's too late! Good Luck.
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©