3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Semi-Newbie From Western Maryland  (Read 542 times)

Offline 1829

• Trad Bowhunter
Semi-Newbie From Western Maryland
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Hey gang, greetings from the sticks of Western MD. First I have to thank Raineman, an old high school bud, for the idea of the Trad Gang site. I started out in 1980 or 1981 shooting my Dad's old 40# Ben Pearson Colt recurve...the archery bug had bit me. He then got me a Browning wheelie for a birthday gift. My Dad however continued to shoot the #48 Bear Grizzly my Mom had bought him new in 1966 (I think). Many years have gone by since those early 1980s. My dad used to joke with me about what I called his "Popsicle stick" bow (because his Bear was so light vs a compound). I'd always reply that I liked venison too much to go to trad gear.

Well, many compounds later I got a 55# Great Plains "Red River" recurve as a gift from someone. My Dad, like usual, started to tease me again about trad archery. I'd laugh and we'd cut up about it. Flash forward to 2009 and I hook up with Jim (Raineman) for a reunion hunt. One thing led to another and next thing I know, Jim crafted a new string for my Dad's 40+ year old Bear. He also shot my Red River naming it a "hammer!"

On March 10, 2011 my Dad went home to be with The Lord. It was very unexpected just flooring our entire family. That 2011-2012 hunting season just wasn't the same without Dad. Even though he had given up bow hunting, we still rifle and muzzle loader hunted together. But my heart just wasn't in it. I swore to myself that I would force myself to hunt like I once did in the recently ended 2012-2013 season. I shot my wheelie last summer like I hadn't in years. I tinkered with the trad gear but I respect the animals we hunt too much to use them as a pin cushion (as my Dad used to say).

Now...I think the time has come for me to concentrate on my recurves. My goal for the upcoming 2013-2014 season is to kill a deer with my Dad's Bear Grizzly. I know I'll need to shoot....a LOT to be proficient like I once was out to 20 yards or so.

So bear (no pun intended...lol) with me as I belly flop into the world of traditional archery! I look forward to learning a lot from this forum and the folks that make it as "interesting" as it looks to be!

Respectfully...Matt

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Semi-Newbie From Western Maryland
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Matt,
 Welcome to Tradgang from a fellow tradhunter from the Eastern shore of Maryland....My name is Keith and my fathers Ben Pearson Colt is resting in my shop and all my brothers have shot it at many things in the 70's including the daredevil shoot up in the sky and run to the pumphouse under cover shots  :laughing:  We have then learned that that wasn't a smart idea but we made fun out of anything back then..Grab a camp chair and hang around for a while cause you never know who might pop in....God Bless,
 Keefer's <><

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
welcome
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Welcome    :campfire:   Grizzlies are great bows, best of luck on your journey!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Welcome from Maine.

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Welcome from Iowa!
" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
Good to see you here Matt. You are in for a wild ride hunting with a recurve ( ment in a good way ).
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
Welcome!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline jebeckjr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
Welcome aboard!
>>>----TGMM Family of the Bow----->

Offline Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Welcome Matt from another Marylander. My name is Tony Sanders. I live about 20 miles south of Annapolis, MD. And I do know Raineman(good man), and I am sure he will get and keep you on the right track(LOL)Take care and good luck in your Trad endeavors.

Tony

Offline 2ndxarnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Welcome from another marylander, Baltimore. You've got alot of public land out your way.Good luck...
Take the time to teach a child.

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Downwind Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Welcome Matt - we're pretty close neighbors. I live in Williamsport and have a cabin just over the Pa line in Bedford county (Artemis), so I'm in your neck of the woods quite a bit.

Practice, practice and practice some more --- you know that old Griz has the mojo!!!

Best of luck,
Rich

Offline 1829

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Thanks fellas...I appreciate it. And Rich, our family has a camp in Beans Cove about 10 minutes or so north of Flinstone. Too bad the deer numbers up there have dropped so much through the years. Artemas...you may be disappointed to know the Roadkill is for sale. Hope any new owner restores that place to what it once was.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Welcome to the Gang from here in Northern VA. You definitely have th deer up there in MD. I hunted MD this year for the first time and man are there soe deer. Hope your quest works well!

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Welcome Matt,

We are neighbors I live in LaVale, Cumberland. I see some of my brothers from Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland have welcomed you as well. Matt you should consider joining. Great group of people. Tony, Mike myself have been at it for many years. Come to the Baltimore shoot in May. You will have a great time.

Matt come to the Cumberland Bowhunters next Saturday night and bring your recurve we have a great 3 D indoor shoot there on Saturday nights.
Lots of fun. You will meet many recurve / longbow shooters. The club is on Valley road in Cumberland.

Welcome again,

Bill Wilhelm
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
Welcome,from Bakersfield   :campfire:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
Welcome from Fredneck, MD!  I make a trek up to your neck of the woods a few times a year to hunt "the big woods".  Hopefully, we'll see you at the Baltimore shoot.  
Greg

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
Welcome from Southern Maryland.  Returning to Trad isn't the only way to remember and honor your Dad, of course, but I bet it will be among the things that make you feel his presence and influence most strongly. Happy Hunting!
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©