3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wild Boar with Stone Points  (Read 774 times)

Offline twistedlimbs

• Trad Bowhunter
Wild Boar with Stone Points
« on: February 03, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
I just walked in the door from a weekend long Hog Hunt in South/central Florida with a pretty reputable outfit. My friend Dax, his son Aidan and I decided to do a last minute winter hunt and called up some places. I told them we were primitive hunters and liked to do things on our own, camp, spot and stalk, etc. We finally settled on a hunt that seemed to best fit our needs. Free ranging pigs were a top priority. Non of us wanted to hunt hungry,penned in pigs. Dax's son was out after his first bow kill and I was out to get a decent pig with a stone point (as usual). Nothing huge, just wanted a meat hog. I am not really much of a feeder type hunter, but this place was primarily run off feeders. We were however given the opportunity to get down at our own free will to spot and stalk if we so chose, so that was my main plan. Upon arriving we found out that there were a large group of bowhunters and we were assigned one stand location for the whole weekend. Although I don't do much feeder hunting, I do know enough that once your stand has been scented by humans, the chances of getting one past the first day gets significantly slimmer. I decided that I should play it safe and hunt the given tree stand and feeder for the first evening and then Spot and stalk the rest of the weekend. (turns out my feeder didn't actually go off all weekend, but it didn't really hurt my feelings since I didn't really want to baby sit a feeder anyhow.) After settling in, 4 hogs meandered through the palmettos and came in under me snooping around. There was no corn on the ground and they scooted off. It ended up giving me more reasons that I just don't care for hunting feeders! Eventually they started hanging around closer and closer. A Boar made the mistake of stepping out of the palmettos at 12 or 13 yards, just long enough for me to ID it as a boar and send a stone point through the lungs. 40 yards later down the blood trail I found my Boar. roughly 125 pounds. He was good and stocky, a little bigger than the pictures really even represent since I was snuggled up close to him. I didn't want to be accused of sitting 5 yards behind him!..lol I shot him quartering away with my Grey Dogwood Bow and a Keokuk Chert stone point. The point cut through the 3/4 - 1 inch thick shield and through both lungs. The point lodged tight in the opposite shoulder cutting tendons and doing some bone damage. The point (compared with a similar un-used point)didn't fair to well against the bone. It broke off both "ears" of the point and sheared off all the serrations from one side. Not a problem however, since it did all the vital damage before finding the opposite shoulder. Despite having only one hole, I had lots of great blood to follow until the blood started to run out, but only 15 yards ahead he laid still. I wasn't crazy about shooting one under a feeder. I like to do it on the pigs terms most of the time. I was however very relieved by the end of the trip that I sat in the stand the first evening since my worry about scent contaminating the area kept anymore Boars from visiting my assigned area during daylight hours. Although I still hunted the remainder of the weekend, I kept and eye under the feeder, but no one showed up except for a nursing sow who I became friends with after saving her and her piglets from a pair of dogs a poacher turned loose Saturday morning. Other than the hunt itself, Dax, Aidan and I had a great weekend, camping and cutting up pigs. When Dax get's home I will leave his side of the story up to him. I am typically not a fan of paid hunts or guided hunts, but sometimes you just have to get away with some good friends for a weekend. Despite the slightly "canned hunt" feel, it was otherwise an exceptionally fun trip. After talking to the owner a while and him getting a feel for the type of people we are, he offered to work us out a deal for only a few hunters instead of a full house of 16. This way we could have the run of the whole property and be able to hunt different pigs every day, increasing our odds against pigs on the ground without running them all out....Now we are talking my speed!   http://images.imagelinky.com/1359938206.jpg              

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wild Boar with Stone Points
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Good stuff, super boar hog!

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Congrats !
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Congrats!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Nice!! Congrats!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Nice job, well done for sure, good luck on your next hunt, and thanks for sharing.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Way to get it done with a rock!

Congrats,

Bisch

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Excellent.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Impressive... nice job.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Congrats! I want to try that someday...
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
Way to go Ryan! That's a fine boar indeed. Congratulations.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Nice hog and good on you for doing it the way you wanted to. db
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Oh, rad.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
Nice job.  Looks like you have worked it out for the next time.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
OUTSTANIDNG!!  I love reading our posts buddy!  Excellent job ... good on ya!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
Well done Ryan. You made the best of what you had. I think that is what live is all about. Again, well done!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
nice shooting !!!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
Congrats on a nice hog!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Nice hog!  What was your arrow weight and bow weight?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Congatulations Ryan, that's quite an accomplishment. To do it with gear that you made and a stone point, that's tough to beat.
How did Dax make out?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©