3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Take-Down ? for the Experts  (Read 225 times)

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Take-Down ? for the Experts
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Let me give you a little background. I have been out of archery for a couple of years because of an injury. I am back and 100% and I have a chance to head to Alaska for a hunt this late September.

Okay, my question is that I really want to use a Bear Take-Down (Bubinga riser) and wanted to know if the B-Riser and #3 limbs (makes a 64" in bow) is that "much" smoother than the B-riser and the #1 limbs that would make a 60" bow(I have not had the opportunity to shoot either).

I started my archery in the late 80's early nineties with a Wes Wallace recurve that was 66" and I have never dropped below a 62" recurve in my shooting over the years. I draw a solid 29" when I shoot recurves.

As much as I like shooting longer bows, I am wondering if the two extra inches on each limb is going to be that big of a deal with this design.

I am hoping for some honest feedback as the bow is going to be used for elk, bear, turkey, and deer here in Oregon too.

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Take-Down ? for the Experts
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
I draw about 29.5 and have a B riser with both #1 and #3 limbs. To me the #1s draw as smooth out to my draw as the #3s. The #3s are quieter shooting. I have really loud string slap with the #1s and any FF string, I finally went to dacron with them.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:30:00 AM »
I have bears of A and B risers #1 and #3 limbs. 56-64 inches. I honestly can't tell a difference when I shoot them and I draw 29.5". I agree with Marc, a Dacron string makes them deadly quiet.

Offline ArrowPlane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
I'm not an expert, but I had a B riser with #1 limbs (60") and it stacked awfully at my ~30-30.5" draw.  Felt like I hit a brick wall an inch from my face.  Would probably depend on your limbs though.  Mine was an 80's model with green-tips.

For me anyway, unless there's no good reason not to, I prefer a longer bow.  It's not only smoother, but more forgiving to form errors.  The only recurve I shoot anymore is a 66" Kodiak Special, and the only thing I'd replace it with is a 68-70" Kodiak Special.

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

I am going to order the longer bow -Hopefully,(My shop is checking on the small print in the Bear catalog that said all Take-Downs come with the #1 limbs, and you have to order the #3 limbs separately??) I was told that it could be quite a wait either way.

My next question had to do with their strings, but you answered that too---Thanks

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Big Jim and 3 Rivers both carry them FWIW, they are both sponsors. You can order the riser and limbs separately. I bought mine one peace at a time.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
That's the way I bought mine riser and then the 3# and of course don't forget the string!

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
I would love to buy from one of the sponsors here on Trad Gang, but my local shop has some money from selling my two son's equipment when they went off to college.
I thought I would put it to good use since the shop is mostly wheels focused.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©