3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy wood shaft question. I need advice  (Read 407 times)

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavy wood shaft question. I need advice
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
I am off to chase Moose next year with my longbow. I just cannot make myself shoot anything but wood shafts out of my longbows.

I don't think my POC's (dipped, sealed and crested at 480 grains) are heavy enough. What should I look for in a durable, heavy grain weight wood shaft?
My bows are heavy enough, I am just a bit concerned about my finished arrow weight.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

thanks,

Sanderlin III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy wood shaft question. I need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
Ash makes a tough heavy shaft. You might try some of those. Depending on your arrow length, you should come out between 700-800 grains.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
The 11/32 Hickory shafts I make are around 600-700 grains at 33".

Dennis

Offline schnitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
laminaed birch are realy nice mine are up around 65o and there also a little smaller in diameter and very tough

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Laminated Birch mine 750gr@30" fly great and will go through any game up to Moose   :archer:
Gord

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
All the above are good choices.

I am off in 2 days to chase moose in Newfoundland. I went in 2003 also and took a young bull with a 59# BBO with a 680 gr laminated birch shaft.

I have some arrows this time for one of my bows a that are footed, POC by cedarsmith. Finished, with a 145 gr Eclpise, they weigh in at 660-670 gr.

I would also check out Bob Burton at Whispering Wind. He can get you some heavy hex shafts. Either footed or non footed.

Lots of choices out there these days.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
I've been working this same issue, Sanderlin.  Depending on how heavy you want to go, you have a few good options.  Laminated birch is tough and heavy and once straightened holds it well for me.  My 55-60 spine 26.5" LB weigh about 550 before the broadhead.  Ramin and hexpine will get you over 600 gr, which should really be enuf for moose.  Ash and hickory are also good choices for heavy shafts, altho I have no experience with them.  Whatever you choose, make sure you get GOOD shafts; they are the heart of your arrow.

What kind of bow, weight and draw do you have?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
ASH, I haven't hunted moose with them... But Boy do they do a number on Whitetail's

27"BOP w/160grn BH = 771gr total weight

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
I'll give the hickory shafts Dennis makes a plug.  They all came in around 800gr. when finished.  Talk about tough, they'll take a beatin'.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
I recently bought a dozen ash shafts from Raptor.  They came in plastic wrap and were absolutely straight.  And unless they changed they will cut to length and taper both ends for free.  They made some nice HEAVY arrows.  I recommend them.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
I shoot a barrel tapered Super Cedar that finishes at 720 gr at 32 inches. The laminated birch go 690 gr, but are a little short for me. You could also glue on the tapered conversion to a threaded end (F/S Discount Archery) and then use a steal broad head adapter at say 100 or 125 gr and then add on your favorite broad head. You would then add arrow weight as well as get a little benefit from FOC weight addition that some folks find aid in penetration.
Mike

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Perhaps the best solution, but also the most expensive, is hardwood footed shafts. They not only get the weight up above Dr. Ashby's minimum of 650 grains big-big game, but put most of that weight up front for max FoC. At the other extreme, the cheapest heavy hardwood shafts I've found are maple, which deliver 700 grain arrows (11/32) with 160gr pounts at 29". About the same price as cedar. I still have a few skinny hickory shafts -- thinner by far than 11/32 though perhaps not a standard size. A few years ago I shot completely through a cow with one, hitting ribs both in and out. I found that shaft, resharpened the point and the next year shot completely through a bull, also hitting ribs on both sides. They weigh 750 with 160 gr. points and are indestructible though occasionally need straightening. All the advice from others, above, is excellent. dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©