3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Time at Anchor?  (Read 248 times)

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
Time at Anchor?
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
I have always been of the opinion, that snap shooting (if you will) was not condusive to accurate shooting! I have watched Great Shooters from both camp's, involving those that hold till they settle the Bow arm, and those that hit anchor,and let her rip.
I was in the Camp of holding a bit longer at full draw, and was never satisified  completely on the accuracy of doing so.

As an experiment,I tried to mimmic Uncle Gene's shot process,with the Hit Anchor a breif second, and let her go,with outstanding results. I even seem to have better back tension as well. What are your thoughts,on this style,as compared to holding longer?
Many Thanks!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Time at Anchor?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Wish I could reach anchor!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
I don't stay at anchor too long, just long enough to call it an anchor, haha.  In my experiments with my own accuracy I find with the instinctive and/or split vision type of aiming staying at anchor too long makes accuracy suffer.  I make positive contact with my mouth and jaw and let em go.  I also start the draw before I even raise my bow arm so that plays a role too.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
If i stay at anchor too long then My back falls apart.  However a quick release requires alot more blind bale work to consistanly hit anchor.  If I stay off of the bale then I suffer.  Also a poor bow arm will sneak up on you.  If I could have a longer anchor then I would but I just can't.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I have always been a hit anchor and go and have been really accurate BUT be very careful because after shooting this way for 40+ years I suddenly found myself short drawing and freezing up BEFORE full anchor.  It took me two years of concentrated effort to over come this and get back to solid anchor again.  I now hit full draw and and tell myself "FREEZE" before letting go.  This gives me about 3 seconds at anchor which is just great.

I'm even capable of shooting this way when I'm shooting aerial targets and this is using my 75-80# bows.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
I am what I would call instictive/split vision, bow arm raised,focus is on target, with the arrow in my peripheral vision. I shoot best holding at anchor while increasing pull with my draw hand. If I release the moment I reach anchor, it really becomes paramount, the shot is completely lined up before I reach my anchor or my accuracy suffers and my form breaks down.

I shoot both ways but I am more confident and get better accuracy holding a second or so at anchor before release.

I tend to snap shoot with higher draw weight bows.

In the end I think every person is different and needs to experiment and find out what works best for them. Then groove that shot process so it becomes second nature.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
I like to pause at anchor.
Most of my shot opportunities while hunting have been a situation where I want to draw while deer aren't looking then wait till they get to the right spot to release.

So practicing with a pause seems to help holding at draw while hunting not seem so foreign.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
I'm with you  Snap Shooters Anonymous           >>->posting in shooting forum ( I'm trying a secound anchor point)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
5 seconds or so. Iam very methodical and thats what works for me.  BILL

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
I shoot a lot better when I come to a consistent anchor and hold for a moment while I concentrate on the "spot".

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bullfrog 1:
5 seconds or so. Iam very methodical and thats what works for me.  BILL
x2 here.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
It's a process of muscle memory, I hold at anchor for several seconds. Actually ,I have three anchors. I settle, then what is most important to me is the follow through, pulling through the release as the arrow just looks right in my secondary vision.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
There's about a four page thread about this on the shooters forum.....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©