3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4 Fletch Vs. 3 fletch, 4 to 5,5"? Opinion?  (Read 726 times)

Offline Ed Frye

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4 Fletch Vs. 3 fletch, 4 to 5,5"? Opinion?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Nice shot Terry and a great pic of the wall of parachutes    :thumbsup: .

I don't really think there is that much of a difference in flight between 3 or 4 fletch as I don't shoot at anything over 25 maybe 30 yards anyway. I just like to be able to nock quicker and the looks of the 4 fletch. I have been able to tune to either one.
Thanks and keep promoting the great sport of bow hunting to our youth and friends.
Ed P. Frye II
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Yeah Ed...I don't have a problem with 3 fletch either...like I said, I like the no look nock and the extra stabilization on unorthodox shots, weather, wear etc......that's all.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Here's a question to ask yourself, What type of flething setup would give me the best arrow flight with a broadhead in any hunting condition?

Now fletch up a bunch of different setup's and go test them, see what works best for your hunting setup. I have tried fletching sizes from 2" razors to 5.5 maxi fletch.

Alot of options out there......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Been shooting 4-fletch since 1984 , it's never caused any problems, but does create real quick arrow stabilization for those close shots. At long ranges it probably does not make much difference . I practice from 10-55 yds constantly during the summer. And whatever else terry said!

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
4"-4 fletch here   :thumbsup:

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Terry, loved the shooting exhibition, if I could still bend like that I would try it, but I'm worried my wife would have to call EMS to unbend me. NO doubt that 4 stabilizes the arrow faster and better, just wondering how necessary it is ? It was Mike Fedora that got me thinking about it, it was at the Sawmill shoot in PA. two years ago, I had 4 fletched arrows and mike was the one who mentioned the parachute first. I didn't usually shoot 4 feathers and haven't since. The bow was a Palmer recurve double carbon 55@28, really could spit an arrow and was the only bow that would shoot the 4 fletched arrows well, maybe that has something to do with it, the stronger and faster the bow the more or less the arrows are effected, more being stabilized faster and less being the parachute effect or lack off effect due to higher poundage ?, can't answer since I know very little about archery and probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place, but thought what Mike had said to me was interesting.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Interesting topic for sure. I shoot 3 fletched arrows, never tried 4 fletch. I just ordered some feathers from Matt, and they are going to be 3 fletch... that says, I might get a bunch more and try a few 4 fletch and see.

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »
Have been shooting 4 fletch 4" for 40 years and don't intend to change now.  I use full length and burn and can get two 4" out of one GOOD feather but you can never get two 5" out of one feather.  I like all the money I save, well maybe!!!!  Also like the looks of the shield cut best.
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 03:08:00 AM »
I always used 3x4" helical, but recently I moved over to 3x5". I am still in the testing stage, but first conclusion is that there is no noticable difference in speed, but it gives more stabilisation.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 09:04:00 AM »
I like how fast the arrow recovers from paradox when using 4 fletch. On a few deer I have had shots under 5 yards and hitting an animal with a perfect flying arrow makes a huge differance in pentration (thats obvious) but something else I have noticed but can't prove... is they didn't have as much of a reaction to being hit as with an arrow that is still recovering.  I think(?) that is because the shaft isn't "slapping" them as it enters. Only the broadhead it touching.

Like I said, I can't prove it but I have seen the same reactions more then once and it makes sense to me.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
3 x 5" fletch over here but have been doing some 4 x 5" and like the looks of them.

Good shot there Terry, that would be a par 2 course for me   :thumbsup:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
Sorry for missing your post  njloco   .....I usually shoot 60-70# bows, but there are a host of bheads that would have killed any of the big hogs I have killed.  At your weight, I would suggest a 2 blade....tusker concord has a GREAT angle of attack....as do Grizzly Kodiaks and Tuff Heads...those are the 3 that come to mind at the moment.

Just make sure if you use the Grizz or Tuffs you sharpen the front tanto portion of those heads.

I also end up somehow getting TOO close to hogs...and the 4 fletch makes for quick recovery of paradox...and a straight arrow at impact is paramount and even on those short shots.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
njloco ..sorry...I see I did respond earlier....thought I was on another thread....as usual going 90 MPH....hope my last post helped further.

:campfire:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 01:54:00 AM »
4x5" for the last 30 years or so. Takes a telephone pole to deflect one. Can't say I've ever missed a shot on game because the fletch slowed the arrow down.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 04:56:00 AM »
I've gone from 4 x 5.5" to 4 x 4" to 3 x 4" and everything worked well. But I have always bare shaft tuned my arrow first.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
I used to shoot 3-5.5" feathers years ago but have changed over the years.Went down to 3-5" but after shooting my buddies 4-4" that is all I fletch anymore.I tune my arrows very well.I even fletched some Axis FMJ with 4-4" ar 90,excellent flight.I did on one set of arrows where I fletched some 4-4",3-5" and 4-5" fletched and they all grouped together at 20 yds.I think if your arrows are tuned well any feather combo you do will be just fine.Now for my skinny Easton Injexion I did a 3-4",skinnier then Axis.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
I use 4-5 1/4" because I like feathers and find arrows are kinda boring without a lot of color.  

Yeah, I know that's not a very scientific reason but it's my reason and I could probably get by with less feather but I choose not too. It's just personal preference. Nothing more.

Someone in an earlier thread commented that the arrows with white feathers in this pic probably looked liked flaming snowballs going down range.  Yeah that pretty much sums it up.  For me at least, Flaming snowballs has more appeal than parachutes.    ;)

"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Trap nice looking arrows!!! Especially the spliced ones.

4 fletch, 4-5inch for me.been using that for at least 30 years.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
And here's a pic of another 'parachute'....

I made this shot just last November....right in front of 6 compounders....100 yards at midnight....instinctive.

Needless to say, it blew their minds, and one bowyer now has 6 bows on order because of it...I'm not even kidding...

Which bow were you using T?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
kadbow, minimal fletching works when things go smoothly, unfortunately as Terry said sometimes you have to manufacture a shot or have wet feathers and having the extra stabilization is very helpful.

Shot the buck in  my avatar with 4x2.5" fletch high foc, have since gone to 4x4" for the extra insurance and at my hunting ranges negligible effect on flight. Prefer 4@90 for the nock and shoot capability not having to worry about fletch orientation.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©