3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow weights in the good Ol' Days  (Read 240 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Arrow weights in the good Ol' Days
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Just skimming through my copy of the "From the Den of The Old Bowhunter" ago. Chet says that he liked to hunt with 60-70 lb. yew wood selfbows. Of course he sourced out the highest quality wood and made his own arrows. He liked a 3/8" shaft with a 9" back taper down to 9/32", sometimes to 5/16" for his heavier "bent end" bows.
If you haven't read this book I think you'd find it a good read. It's fun to see from where we've come in order to see where we're going.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow weights in the good Ol' Days
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
Back in the late 60's, we bought arrows already fletched, ready to hunt. All we cared about was the arrows properly spined for our bows. Never gave much thought to weigh each arrow to find out the differences in weight. No one had a grain scale back then...except guys who made their own bullets.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow weights in the good Ol' Days
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Same as Joe. Back in the 60's myself and the crowd I hunted with just bought the right spine aluminum arrows..xx75's or 24srtx's I believe I was shooting. Then screwed either a Bear, Goshawk or Deadhead on the end.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©