3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: suggestions on flying with my bow?  (Read 462 times)

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
suggestions on flying with my bow?
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Gonna be flying on delta airlines this weekend. Gonna be taking my bow and arrows. I hav a take-down recurve case from 3rivers (the round one). My plan was to put my bow 'n arrows in there. Pack it in my check in bag and call it good. I assume I cannot take my bow as a carry on??  Any thoughts/tips appreciated.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: suggestions on flying with my bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Sounds like you have it all covered.  And, yes you are correct in that you can't take it aboard.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
You need to declare the bow and arrows as such at the time you check the bags.  I have had bows scratched by TSA inspections in the past, where they have jammed the bows and other things back in the case without worrying about things like getting things back in the right slots.  In that sense, I think the 3 Rivers tubular case is a better idea than the flat cases with foam cutouts, because TSA doesn't try to get things back in the cutouts.  I have heard that people can sometimes get the TSA inspection done right there while they are watching, which would be great if you can get them to do that.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
I have flown the past couple of years with my take down.  The airlines will charge you $50 to ship it in the tube on the plane (check in) because it is considered a sporting item as well with like skis, fishing poles ect.  I wasn't about to pay the extra $50 so I took the bow apart and put it in the middle of all of my clothes in the suit case and that worked well for me.  Larry
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
NO Need for TSA to inspect! A bow is not a firearm. I have flown several times with my takedown recurve in a bow sock and an arrow tube packed in my checked duffle bag surrounded by clothes. No problems. Package broadheads in a hard plastic box labeled SHARP.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
You DO NOT need to declare it to the airlines/TSA.  I have flown recently with my bow (6 times in the past 1 1/2 years) and never declared it or the arrows.  I pack everything in a hardsided golfclub travel case, just make sure you are at or below alloted weight, or it gets expensive...quick.  You will be fine the way you plan on flying with your equipment.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Recently flew from Alaska to new station in IL.  I have a 56" one piece hybrid lb and put it in a fishing pole case (which adjusts to longer lengths).  Took broadheads off of the arrows and put it all in there.  Had no issues at all.  Have travelled with PVC pipe to tote arrows got very strange looks, that was before 9/11 though.

My takedowns I just put in my suitcase, been lucky I guess.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
I fly all the time with my bows.  You are good to go with your packing.  A bow is not a firearm and does NOT need to be declared.  If you do it, you are asking for troble.  If you do not, that is NO problem.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Steve is right, and has lots of experience with flying.  Don't tell them anything about the bow or arrows.  You are not required to declare them, and if you mention it at all you run the risk of dealing someone who wouldn't know the difference between a recurve and a sniper rifle.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by fisherick:
NO Need for TSA to inspect! A bow is not a firearm. I have flown several times with my takedown recurve in a bow sock and an arrow tube packed in my checked duffle bag surrounded by clothes. No problems. Package broadheads in a hard plastic box labeled SHARP.
Exactly!  That's just how I do it and not a problem so far after several out of state hunts.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
I managed an airport and work at an international airport.  Pack it as above and travel on.  I noticed the TSA checking a handgun today at noon at a private room the TSA has.  I travel thru that room often and never seen a bow.  They check firarms and other items required to be declared, but bows, not yet!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
I don't even use a case. I just wrap a take down in my clothes and pack in a duffle bag with wheels. Never had a problem

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks guys! I will be jumping on a plane at Metro on Sunday and heading to to Rick Welchs.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
I just checked with the United ticket agent, the TSA bomb assessment officer and three TSA agents. we do not have to declare the bows.  They all agreeed the machine will see them for what they are.  I have never seen a bow checked since we have had the TSA.

All that said:  you are at the mercy of a wayward or aggressive person with a blue shirt and badge.  It is not a gun and there fore does not have to be checked to see if it is unloaded

Travel away.  i intend to hunt in more than one state this year and my longbow is ready for the flight
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©