3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Problems  (Read 288 times)

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
String Problems
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
I am confused. I ordered a string at my local archery shop for my 60 inch recurve. I told them i had a 60 inch Black Widow PCH and i wanted a FF 20 strand string for it. They made me a string and it was like 54or 55 inches long. Too short.
I sent it back and measured my current string which came out to be 56 1/4 inches long and they sent me a string that was 59 inches.

When you order an endless loop string you are measuring from the whole string including the loops correct?

I measured my string from loop end to loop end, are strings measured differently than that? How do they measure strings? Is this my fault or their fault?

Also, my BW PCH is 53# at my draw lenght 29", what is the SAFE number of Fast Flight strands to use on this bow with an ENDLESS LOOP string? Is it different for FLEMISH TWIST?
I like a man who grins when he fights--Winston Churchill

Great moral teachers dont introduce new moralities: quacks and cranks do that...--C.S. Lewis

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
They ahh... must not make many strings.  Especially on an endless loop string, exact lengths are easy.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
You have to specify the actual string length (nock to nock strung plus 1") or some want the nock-to-nock strung as is, AND the AMO length in my experience.  It seems no one pays attention to the AMO length anymore.  

For every string I order that comes as I desired I have one that didn't work out.  Interestingly, I have three 58" AMO bows that take 54", 55" or 56" strings for a similar brace height.  Go figure.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
hi sub..

You should talk with one of our sponsors.
They'll get you set up.

Chad weaver at Champion custom strings is a top notch guy who makes good endless loops.

Might want to ask about how many strands you want..20 is quite a lot.

Chad goes by LBR here.
Just shoot him a line...
he normally has strings done in a couple days.

Here's his site...
 http://www.recurves.com/bowstrings.html
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Thanks you guys. I appreciate the help.
I like a man who grins when he fights--Winston Churchill

Great moral teachers dont introduce new moralities: quacks and cranks do that...--C.S. Lewis

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the good word Z!  Right now I'm backed up and the wait is longer than usual, due to an illness in the family, but working on it.

"When you order an endless loop string you are measuring from the whole string including the loops correct?"

Usually, but it could vary I guess, depending on who made it.

"I measured my string from loop end to loop end, are strings measured differently than that?"

AMO/ATA states they should be measured under tension, but they are measured loop end to loop end.

"How do they measure strings? Is this my fault or their fault?"

My guess is it's theirs.

"Also, my BW PCH is 53# at my draw lenght 29", what is the SAFE number of Fast Flight strands to use on this bow with an ENDLESS LOOP string?"

If you mean the Fast Flight brand, I'm not sure.  If you mean "Fast Flight" type materials in general, it depends on the type material and who you ask.

"Is it different for FLEMISH TWIST?"

No--same strand count for either one.  Flemish is a bit more adjustable, but not enough to make up for being a couple of inches off.

Chad

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
I wish you and your family well Chad.
   :pray:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
Chad at Champion Strings makes excellent strings. Len Emmen does a great job as well. You'll find his ad in TBM.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Its very rare to find anybody at a "local archery shop" that knows much about strings for traditional bows.

Chad at Champion Custom Bowstrings knows all there is to know about strings.  He can fix you up!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©