3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with choosing what knife to carry  (Read 955 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with choosing what knife to carry
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Love my LaClair Little Shaver! $100

-Charlie

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tatonka17:
I have a Cold Steel Master Hunter that is awesome.  I think they're around $130.
x2

If you can find a cold steel master hunter in Carbon 5 steel you will love it.  It's as good a steel as Randall 01 and 1/5 the price.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Buck model 119 ( I think that's the right model number) Incredible steel quality. It sharpens super easy and stays sharp forever.
James Kerr

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
I'd go with one of Ron's Skinners.

My current favorite belt knife is a Benchmade Activator 201.  This has proved to be the perfect fixed blade for my needs.  The D2 steel was a Cast Iron Bytsch to sharpen initially but it sure holds the edge.  I have not touched it up in two deer and miles of salami plus assorted chores.

As a folder I have been carrying a Kershaw Knockout.  Very handy and useable blade shape for general purpose (and every day carry).  Also very quick to open one handed - which can be an asset at times.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
To me, as an all good purpose and not to expensive, Ka-bar has proven itself. An US company, most knives made in US and a rich history. Available in different lenghts, from small to very big blades, with or without serrations and with different grips such as leather or black kraton. The 1095 steel has proven itself over the last years to say the least. Kabars can take some serious beating, stay sharp and are easy to re-sharpen. When you go for the black Kabar you have a knife that is suitable for all weather conditions. They will never fail on you.
You can also look at the Becker Dpt. from Kabar, very nice ones their too. In most cases you will stay far under the US$ 100,-

This dealer has it all, good prices, superfast shipping and all details about Ka-bar:
   http://www.tomarskabars.com/index.html  

I also like my Canadian Special form Bark River very much. I have it with mycarta handle and A2 steel and then it is around the US $ 150,-

I also own their Bravo-1 in CPM-3V steel, which is build like a tank.

Mind you that BR knives come with convex edges, which you might have to learn how to re-sharp.

Those are much my all-purpose knives I can recomnend.

Hope this helps and enjoy the ride!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
I really like Bark River and Blackjack knives.... A2 steel and are made in the U.S.A....The Knives of Alaska knives are great as well...D2 steel and made in the U.S.A....The new Marbles are made in China....

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
If you're looking for a fixed blade, I have been really impressed with the Helle knives.  The one I have is the sharpest knife I have ever used.  Very easy to sharpen, and holds an edge forever.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
It would be hard to beat Ron's skinner at that price point.

If you want stainless the Outdoor Edge's swing blade pak is a good one.

http://www.outdooredge.com/hunting-knives-swingblade-s/13.htm
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Got my wife a PUMA® SGB™ Stag Bone Elk Hunter Knife for Christmas. Perfect size, about $55, great steel. I have a Puma White Hunter I bought about 45 years ago. Great stuff.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Bark River.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Michael R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Any of the 2 dozen different Mora knives. $12 to $35 in price. Either stainless or high carbon, nice handles. Sheaths leave a little to be desired but come razor sharp from Sweden.

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
A great little fixed blade that I carry while stump shooting is the Graham Knives Stubby Razel. CRKT makes a production model for cheaper. I own both the custom and the production -- both are great. Short, stout and thick blade that won't bend, plus the chisel tip with the extended tang is perfect for hammering into stumps to get your arrows out. No need to worry about bending or breaking your knife's tip. Here's a pic of my custom one:

Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
Buck 105 or Case.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
My Buck Model 110 Folding Hunter is the "Remington 870 Express" of my knife collection.  I have many knives for many purposes, but the Buck 110 does almost everything...and does it all well.

Clip point design allows for delicate work.  Classic lock back is safe.  Takes an edge well.  Price is still reasonable.

Not great for throwing....so I have AT LEAST one Buck 110 that's missing 3/4 inch of the tip due to my childish stupidity.  Once broken, I ground the broken end into something resembling a point and the blade is still ok for skinning.

Kingsnake

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
Check out some of Ben Tendick's knives. He is an associate sponsor here and is making some great knives that get great reviews in a good number of places including Blade Magazine. For the hand made quality his prices are very reasonable.

Ben's screen name here is srtben. He lists some of his knives in the sponsors classified forum.

Chris

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 03:44:00 AM »
I've been carrying a buck 119 for 8 years now and wil second it's nomination for an all purpose knife. I have split reasonably thick wood, chopped saplings, cu up veggies, skinned hundreds of squirrel and rabbits, + coons, and gutted deer. It isn't a fancy model but takes a beating and does what I ask it to. Holds an edge quite well I just touch up with a fin stone after every outing.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
No matter which all purpose knife you choose, consider throwing a basic lock blade fillet (fish type)knife in your bag. Works wonder on coring out that butt-holey-o area.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
Anything with S30V steel will serve you really well. Sturdy as he'll since it's a tool steel but just soft enough sp that you don't need a diamond cutter to sharpen it. Also holds an exceptional edge.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
I carry either a Buck or a Kershaw. Both good knives that will not break the bank.
I have one Buck that is a single bevel it gets very sharp and holds an edge like no other.
I have skinned and quarterd several elk with it with very little sharpening.

John

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I always carry at least three knives . A Western, a large K Bar and a small caper.Usually I have a couple more in my pack just in case. I do agree on the Bucks though; Its really hard to find a more consistantly dependable knife and the snap around sheath on their larger hunters is pretty much fool proof against losing the knife. I also carry a touch up stone. sorry but I have yet to find the knife that will maintain razor sharpness when skinning elk. Least thats my take.

God bless you, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©