3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke whip  (Read 528 times)

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Toelke whip
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
HI guys,I currently own two Assenheimer master hunters and a 3 piece 62" A&H ACS.I like my bows and taken some nice deer with them.I have owned a 56" caribow tundra wolf and a 56" JK Kanati.Plenty of deer in VA. but not many bowers,to test their bows.My question is where does a Toelke Whip stand among these bows?
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelke whip
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
ML,
I don't have any experience with the bows you mentioned, but I bought a Whip off a member here about a month ago.  It's as smooth as any, quieter than most, and no slouch in the speed department.  Hand shock is practically nonexistent.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks Ken ,was thinking about trying one out.Bow sure does get alott of good feedback!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
I have only shot a few and only one in the last year.  It was nice, had good speed and was quiet for sure.  Little thump in the shot.  Liked the grip a lot.  Nice looking.  

Of the bows you listed, I have shot only two of them very much.  Those would be the Kanati and the ACS.   The whip has noting over either in shooting quality as far as I am concerned.  Maybe a whip is a hair more quiet, but hard to say without being able to tune each to maximum potential. I will say the whips in general are prettier than the average Kanati or ACS, but that is subjective as is the grip on the three bows.  The Kanati bows I have shot were fast, smooth, quiet and about dead in the hand given the weight of them.  I would say the Kanati is a better short bow if matched to the others at the same length for all. The ACS I had with the heavier riser weight was one of the smoothest, fastest and deadest in the hand hybrids I have ever shot.  

Honestly, I am watching for the right length and weight in all three to show up in the classifieds.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
I have owned an A&H three piece, I personally prefer the whip over the A&H, I feel that the whip has a much more stable limb.  Also, Toelke bows are built to a plus or minus -/+ .5 lbs draw weight, almost never take longer then 3 weeks to build a bow, spray the limbs with something like 6 or 8 coats of epoxy and the riser with even coupe more coats, have the best customer service that I have found.  And, also have a ton of shooting knowledge.  Needless to say, I am a huge Toelke fan, all of the bows that I own are Toelke.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
X2 on Toelke. I could not have said it better than Tutanka.

If you think the Whip is nice, you should also try the Lynx.

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
I agree with Rick, if you like a 3 piece the Lynx really is something else.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
A whip will probably be much lighter in mass weight then the others.  I don't have anything bad to say about whips.  I would tweak the grip an add a bit more palm swell if I was ordering one new, but that's just a personal thing.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
I just bought a whip from Dan and I'm very happy with it.  I am new to archery, so I don't have much experience with other bows, but I can tell you that there is nothing about my whip that I don't like.  Plus, as others have mentioned, Dan's customer service is great.  I called him just before Christmas to see if I could demo a bow.  He said sure, but I don't have anything in stock that matches what you're looking for, so why don't I just make you the bow you want and if you don't like it, send it back. He told me that he would ship the bow out the first week in January, and that's exactly what he did.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
NittanyRider,

That is exactly what Dan did with me on the two bows I purchased from him.  Dan is so confident in knowing if he gets the bow into your hand, then there will be no sending it back.

Just by a simple one time conversation in most cases, Dan can build what you can't necessarily put in words decribing what you are looking for. Hence, awesome bow...thus no return.

H

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
I just bought a 62" Whip HS from Rick and I have to agree the finish is well above the level on most of my other bows. They don't get any quieter and I've had quite a few r/d longbows.

My only complaint, and the reason mine is back up for sale, is that it starts stacking badly when drawn 29" and I draw a bit more than that. My 60" Lost Creek Life Ender handled my long draw with no problem and my 62" Judge will come back behind my ear without bottoming out. If I were to get another Whip, it would have to be a 64" or maybe 66" and if I go that long, I'd rather shoot a "D" type bow. For someone with a 28" or shorter draw, I'd say the 62" Whip HS is quite a bow.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
I recently purchased a used 64" Whip from the classifieds and couldn't be happier with it. I've always shot recurves and didn't necessarily like longbows... the few that I had shot. The Whip is smooth, fast and I shoot it better than I ever shot a recurve.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by threeunder:
ML,
I don't have any experience with the bows you mentioned, but I bought a Whip off a member here about a month ago.  It's as smooth as any, quieter than most, and no slouch in the speed department.  Hand shock is practically nonexistent.
Ken
x2
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:

My only complaint, and the reason mine is back up for sale, is that it starts stacking badly when drawn 29" and I draw a bit more than that.  
Bladepeek. You may want to give Dan a call and ask him about it. I have a 32" draw and the Whip I have(admittedly not HS) doesn't stack at all. It does gain the standard 3lb per inch.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
may very well be an "HS" thing.

has to be a trade off somewhere.....

curious as to what you find out.

I'll go try to draw an extra couple inches on mine in a bit...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
with my 62" HS I can feel it start stacking at about 30"

at 31.5-32" she's quickly getting pretty stiff.

What's the brace on yours Bladepeek?

..maybe..the string is a little short..?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Interesting... I know that Dan has a very good reason for anything he does. Must have been a pretty good increase in speed for him to change his design that much.
Malachi C.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
My experience with a bunch of whips mirrors the above, it always felt like his 62" bows stacked about 28".  Pre HS mind you. My personal feeling is add 2" to whatever length Dan tells you, have also heard the same from many others.  Please don't take that as a slight, great bows and the best bowyer in the business, Dan just seems to like his bows shorter then I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Maybe I'm a nutter then. I absolutely love my 62" Whip and I draw it 32". Never noticed a stack, just a smooth continual increase in weight.
Malachi C.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Interesting. I spoke to Dan about this very thing and went specifically with the 62" HS. i draw 29" with no issues.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©