3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelke whip  (Read 529 times)

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelke whip
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
I haven't talked with Dan, as I didn't buy the bow from him. Just looking at the fades, the riser is WAY longer than my other r/d longbows, which leaves a lot less working limb. I don't see it as a Whip HS problem, but as a "didn't do my homework" problem. I'm sure Dan would have recommended a different length bow. It certainly wasn't the seller's fault either. I'm sure he would have tried it at a longer draw if I'd asked him to. It's great back to 28" and a little bit more. I just fell all over it when I saw it in the classifieds and didn't know enough to ask the right question.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
Complete shot in the dark, but I wonder if Dan built it differently on purpose.

This is my new 62" HS Whip....do the riser/fades look about the same?  Just curious is all. Here are few angles to check out.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Off topic here but....TxAg. That is a stunning Toelke right there. I have always thought mine to be the prettiest I've seen Dan build but yours rivals it!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
Yeah TxAg, that is one fine longbow.
I have a pre-HS Whip thats 62" and don't feel it stacking at my 29" draw.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
Txag..
PRETTY is an understatement.

Also, I've wondered the same thing about "on purpose"

Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
OK guys, I am now so confused that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. I drew the bow when I first got it with no arrow on and said "Ouch, this thing really starts stacking at my draw". I took it to our neighborhood indoor range and shot it with an arrow drawn to my usual "middle finger on corner of mouth" anchor. Same impression. I was swapping bows back and forth with another shooter who has a 29" draw (I draw 29.5"). I shot his new bow and he shot my Whip HS. First words out of his mouth were "This thing really starts stacking right about here". I looked at the pics of TxAg's bow above and then measured my riser. To the ends of the fades, it's 21". Most of my other r/d longbows have been around 17.

So, having convinced myself that it was in fact an extra long riser with short working limbs that were stacking badly, I put it on a scale and plotted it out from 26" to 30". From 27.5" to 29.5" the line graph is a damned near perfectly straight line - 37# @ 26"; 46.5# @ 29.5 with plotting points every 1/2". I think my scale is pretty accurate, but it is definitely very consistent. I weighed it 3 times at 1/2" draw increments and the graph just couldn't be any straighter. Subjectively, when I hit 29.5" in a regular draw, I have the feeling I couldn't draw it another 1/2" without it turning into a 2x4. Put it on the scale and pull it down with both hands and I get this nice, linear draw curve. From 29" to 29.5" it gains 1.7 lbs. From 29.5" to 30" it gains 3 lbs so I would have to say it starts stacking at 29", but my impression when shooting it is that it starts a bit before that.

I'm a retarded - I mean retired engineer and I have confidence in the measurements I just made, but subjectively, I think the bow needs to go to someone with a bit shorter draw.

signed,
Confused in Michigan
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
I draw 29.5 and mine is a 62" whip. I do not notice anything. Seems pretty comfortable to me.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Perhaps the bow was built for someone with a considerably shorter draw length. I have owned 7 Whips, 6 of them have been 62", I draw a full 29" and none of mine ever had a hint of stack.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
Jim may have a point.  I know Dan made mine specifically for my short draw.  I have a 62" Super D that starts to stack at 29".

Dan specifically built it for me.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
The last one I shot was 62 and I didn't notice anything at 29" shooting it. I also over drew it at least another 1/2" and it was smooth.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
Well, the bow is sold (or will be this evening when the auction closes). I won't really miss it since the two of us never really clicked. On the other hand, the bow was so beautifully built and finished and the grip just perfect. I think I will contact Dan and ask him if that bow was built specifically for maximum performance at a short draw.

Way too many shooters telling me their 62" Whip HS draws fine at 29" -30" to ignore. Whoever gets this one this evening will get a beautiful bow that is very quick for the draw weight and if he draws less than 29" will think it is the sweetest bow he ever shot.

I think my post sort of hijacked the original post and I apologize to mec lineman. I do appreciate all the info it generated, though, and I would say all the positive responses should have answered his original question pretty thoroughly   :)
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
Please dont apologize,I found it all imformative.I dont make many post due to computer time.I was happy to see so much imput.This is what I have gathered they are some loyal whip folks out there.Everybody says the same thing " sweet shooting QUIET beautiful well made bow" I will keeping my eye out for one in the classifieds with the right specs!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:
Well, the bow is sold (or will be this evening when the auction closes). I won't really miss it since the two of us never really clicked. On the other hand, the bow was so beautifully built and finished and the grip just perfect. I think I will contact Dan and ask him if that bow was built specifically for maximum performance at a short draw.

Way too many shooters telling me their 62" Whip HS draws fine at 29" -30" to ignore. Whoever gets this one this evening will get a beautiful bow that is very quick for the draw weight and if he draws less than 29" will think it is the sweetest bow he ever shot.

I think my post sort of hijacked the original post and I apologize to mec lineman. I do appreciate all the info it generated, though, and I would say all the positive responses should have answered his original question pretty thoroughly    :)  
I'm glad you posted. It was informative. I learn something new here every day.

Offline Butternutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
In my 20 years of shooting and hunting with longbows and recurves I have shot and owned many and in my opinion Toelke ranks among my top five. I am happy to own a Whip,cannot beat the craftsmanship or performance . There must be something in the water up there in Montana LOL. Don
Blackwidow PSA 60"46@28
Toelke Whip 60"44@28
Toelke Classic 58"41@28
Blackwidow PTF V 58"51@28
=})})}=LAWMAN=>

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Well, it turns out we are all right.

1. Dan Toelke makes some really great bows.

2. His workmanship is of the finest order.

3. Lots of guys with long draws are very happy with their Whips.

4. I had the wrong Whip. Mine had a 21" riser. Below is Dan's response to my question asking whether I had a bow made for a shorter draw.

"Ron  a HS 62" for a 29 1/2 draw would have a 18 3/4 riser, a 21" riser would be best for a 28"draw or less, a short draw archer in my book is less than 27"  Dan"

Bottom line, if I stumble across another Whip for sale in the poundage I like, I would hesitate only long enough to ask the length of the riser. The quality of the bow is already established.

Ron
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Bladepeek, you mentioned the grip on the bow being "just perfect".  Do you know if it was a custom grip, or the standard grip on Dan's bows?  Just curious.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Online twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:
I just bought a 62" Whip HS from Rick and I have to agree the finish is well above the level on most of my other bows. They don't get any quieter and I've had quite a few r/d longbows.

My only complaint, and the reason mine is back up for sale, is that it starts stacking badly when drawn 29" and I draw a bit more than that. My 60" Lost Creek Life Ender handled my long draw with no problem and my 62" Judge will come back behind my ear without bottoming out. If I were to get another Whip, it would have to be a 64" or maybe 66" and if I go that long, I'd rather shoot a "D" type bow. For someone with a 28" or shorter draw, I'd say the 62" Whip HS is quite a bow.
Interesting I have never has that issue. My 58 is smooth out to my draw length which runs about 28.5.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
the bowyer customizes the bow to your draw length.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Glad I kept up with this thread. I didn't know about the two riser lengths.  

Anyone know the recommended max draw on she 18 3/4" riser 60 & 62"?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
extrema312 read Dan's own recommendation in quotes in my post above about the 62". Can't help you with the 60".

GrayRhino, I believe, just looking at my grip (actually not mine any more) and the pictures of other Whips I would say it was a standard grip. I don't like a really fat grip or one too high. This Whip felt perfect.

I get the feeling from other's posts and from Dan's message that he is pretty capable of making the bow to fit any of us if he gets the right input. I sure would talk with him if I was in a position to buy a new bow and make sure he knows my likes and dislikes.

Ron
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©