3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs in Ga - Safety concerns?  (Read 653 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs in Ga - Safety concerns?
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
I wish a few would charge me next time I go hunting. Sure would make the "hunting" easier....lol
  Been around pig hunting for a long time. Wasps have inflicted more pain on me than any pig I`ve encountered other than the one that cut me with my skinning knife while I was skinning it..RC

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
Any animal including a ground squirrel can attack when cornered and given no option. I have hunted hogs a fair bit and have never felt that I was in any danger. A lot of stories, rumors and myths abound about all kinds of animal attacks. There are a number of videos around showing deer hunters being attacked by deer. If you drove  to your location and arrived safely, then you overcame the biggest danger.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbur'72:
... Which brings me to my question - When I announced my intentions to relatives outside of Albany at a recent family gathering, everybody went bonkers on the prospect of me going out in the woods alone with just a bow.  Folks went around the room with stories of grave danger.  Everybody knew somebody who was gored and/or bled out at the hands of murderous hogs.

respectfully, sir, yer relatives don't know anything about hunting ferral pigs.  either that or they're pulling a joke on ya!  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
I've grabbed a lot of trees, but only had to climb one and it wasn't necessary the hog was just running in my direction. Good thing too, it was a sapling and when I got up the thing bent over almost to the ground.

Like others have posted, only people I know that have been hurt by hogs were catching them with dogs.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
If the only thing that is stopping you is fear and common sense then you will be missing out!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
This boar charged Don Wilson, Curt Cabrera and I.....

But he didn't make it....     "[dntthnk]"      "[dntthnk]"      "[dntthnk]"      "[dntthnk]"      "[dntthnk]"  

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Listen to these guys who have been around them a lot.  I have only been once.  Great time.  I was able to leverage the perceived danger involved to land me this really cool knife!  I suggest doing the same.  You are going to do this no matter what.  Your family owes it to you to arm you with new knives, maybe a side arm.  You can use this opportunity!!

I had a blast hunting them on the ground!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
This boar charged Don Wilson, Curt Cabrera and I.....

But he didn't make it....      "[dntthnk]"        "[dntthnk]"        "[dntthnk]"        "[dntthnk]"        "[dntthnk]"  

I bet that hog wishes he could have a "do over"! maybe he'd re-think that decision.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline Wilbur'72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I want to thank folks for the considered replies to my question.  As I suspected, the truth is that wild injured/cornered animals must be addressed with great care and caution.  I get that, and I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Just wanted to get a bead on this from folks who know.  Seems like the real answer lies somewhere between unfounded fear and the glib tough-guy chest pounding some responders here prefer.

To stickbow's point - um, there's nothing stopping me.  Fear nor common sense.  I'm familiar with both from numerous multi-day excursions in grizzly country chasing obscure Western trout. I've also picked up some common sense lessons from our shoulderless friends in and around the water here close to home.

Wanting to understand the situation represents neither fear nor lack of common sense.  Quite the opposite.

Thanks yall.  I've about got these landsharks flying like I want them to.  Looking forward to the WMAs soon.
“Cell phones have changed us from a nation of self-reliant pioneer types into a bunch of men standing alone in supermarkets saying, ‘Okay, I’m in the tampon aisle, but I don’t see it.’” – John Gierach

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
I have very little experience with hogs, I seem to suffer Gil's issues, however Uncle Barry had issues twice in the same day as I recall.  There is an earlier thread with his story somewhere on here.

ChuckC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Yeah Chuck...there's a thread on that....Barry got charged in TX...got 1000 needles in him and broke his arm I believe.

I also got charged by a sow in FL once...and just side stepped her and she kept going.

I also got charged here in GA once by a hog I shot...but I really don't think it knew I was there, and it was just a coincidence.

Like I said....just respect them.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Jabar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
All good answers here, and some from guys that's been around hogs for a long time.  I've read through the thread 3 times, and didn't see any chest pounding.  Just good advice.  As always on TradGang.

Have fun!!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »
BTW....I notice that you JUST registered and this is your FIRST post, and that you are from GA....emailed ya asking where you are from....maybe we could meet up sometime.     :campfire:

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Here is my pig backup. I had a hog hunting video from California. The hunter was charged by a big boar. He turn it with his bow.

I think I would rather be gored than risk my bow getting cut up with those tusks!

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Glad to hear what I already suspected. Now if I can just get these new arrows tuned, I'm gonna get out and see if I can stock the freezer w/some pork.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Terry, Looks like some weird little creature standing behind that pig in that pic you posted. Looks to me like a chimmiechonga looking thing.No one mentioned it, or am i seeing things. I better get my eyes checked!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gil Verwey:
Here is my pig backup.

I met a guy while hunting that carried a Samurai sword as backup.   :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
hogs seen far less dangerous in person than they are made out to be on TV.  TV shows make them out to be some kind of brain-sucking, slobbering, monsters, but every hog I've ever seen has run as fast as it could to get away.  In the cases when they do "charge" people, I think they are just running blindly.  You probably are more endangered by snakes, skeeters, and ticks in GA than the hogs.  You should definitely pretend that the hogs are dangerous though, it could be a nice reason to get a new sidearm and your hunting stories will be far more exciting.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
I'm no expert by any means but I would be more concerned about bringing my gps than being attacked. That swamp all looks the same after you get in there a little ways .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Knaw...that hog had already had an arrow run through by Michael Langahans....that was the recovery dog.

Also, Michael stopped its skull to the ferrel with a WW....check out that tiny little dot on the forehead...that's the base of the insert.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©