3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The strangest critter you've ever killed?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
The strangest critter you've ever killed?
« on: February 07, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
I was looking at my pics as I pack my house up. A few of them from way back in the day "Before Fancy Longbows Were Invented" when I only hunted guns and wheels had some odd critters. Antlered doe, bearded hens and such. What do some of you folks remember that really stood apart on some of your critters, colorations, healed wounds, crazy antlers or what have you? Even something that ordinarily shouldnt have been where it was when you killed it. I only have one to post. Other than him, everything Ive killed with trad has been pretty typical.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The strangest critter you've ever killed?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Dude...that's gross!    :(

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Just imagine if he was 50#s, I wouldnt swim in a lake again. I think it was some kind of a vole. The tail seems too short for a field mouse, and if I didnt kill him he probably woulda choked to death. Guess I was doing natures dirty work.    :bigsmyl:

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
I killed a copperhead a while back that was eating a smaller copperhead. No pictures but freaked me out at first.
James Kerr

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
You would be suprised how many cottonmouths that I have killed with other snakes in them.  Who'd a thunk it.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
not real strange but when i was 16 my buddy looked out the front window and saw a woodcock in the front lawn. he challenged me to shoot it. my mom was on the couch in front of the picture window so we had to sneak out the back door in stealth mode and  around the house. 21 yds with a rubber blunt arrow and my Brackenbury drifter...BOOM, feathers everywhere.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tim:
Dude...that's gross!     :(  
Good thing I wasn't drinking something when I ready this Tim. I would have blown it through my nose!!   :biglaugh:

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
I killed this big snapping turtle this year.Perfect shoulder shot he tried to jump the string but he was too close to the ground .Good eating they sell for $20.00/$22.00 lb.at the fish dock.Kip

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Some strange things going on up there Northern N.Y.!
    :eek:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
Izzy, that looks like a Short Tail Shrew.  Good for you     :clapper:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
I will have to think, but that first pic remind me of two largemouth bass i grabbed out of the lake one time.  Booth about 16-18" with one's head way deep in the others mouth.  They had locked gills.  They were both still kicking a little and tasted great.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
I will have to think, but that first pic remind me of two largemouth bass i grabbed out of the lake one time.  Booth about 16-18" with one's head way deep in the others mouth.  They had locked gills.  They were both still kicking a little and tasted great.
I should say tasted great when I eat them, but you could have interpreted that the other way around and be right.   :biglaugh:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
A baboon

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
A baboon
X2 on that, clear through the @$$   :biglaugh:
The Fishburglar

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
Couple of summers ago I was in the backyard when I heard my neighbor screaming my name.  I ran to her front yard where she is struggling to restrain her large labrador from the mangiest coon you'd ever seen.  Stick thin, bald in places and milky white eyes, just standing in her driveway at about 10 yards "looking" at us.  
"It doesn't look right," she said, "should we call the police?"
"Nah, let's not waste their time," I replied, "I'll be right back".
A minute later with my longbow and one Snuffer tipped arrow I found the coon now standing in the street.  Another female neighbor had heard the shouts and came over so now I had the opportunity to save the day infront of two witnesses.
  I nocked the arrow and walked to within 10 yards of the coon, positioning myself so that the inevitable "passthough" would go harmlessly into the far woods.  As I drew I reminded myself to still pick a spot even though this was the archery equivalent of fish in a barrel.  Years of practice and thousands of arrows resulted in a clean miss of such a wide margin that my neighbor actually started to laugh a bit.  
With shattered ego I retrieved my arrow, nocked the dirt off the broadhead, and did the only thing I thought made any sense... I walked up closer.
  Perfect shot.

That's the strangest animal I've ever taken with my bow, and also the one story that keeps getting repeated at the neighborhood block parties.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
A Red Duiker in South Africa....  far as I know, never seen one taken with a longbow??? At least I have not heard from someone or seen any pictures???

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I was bowfishing, about thigh deep in the Sweetwater River near Pathfinder Reservoir in Wyoming, when a prairie rattler came swimming right up to me. I literally pushed him away a couple of times, but each time he would swim right back at me. Maybe he thought I was an island   :dunno: . Anyway, I finally had enough and did him in with my fish arrow.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
Ha! last year my buddy Gary shot a 6 point buck. He had a pair of 4 point sheds in the barn from a few years back. We zip-tied those to the real rack so they were facing the other way,down close to the skull. It looked like a total freak! Another buddy stopped over and could not get over that CRAZY RACK!!!
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Long time ago my brother in law and me used to go skunk hunting in late winter/early spring  with a bow.   Pure boredom and no money, but we had a blast.  Wait a week and go fetch the arrow then refletch.  Ah, the good ole days.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
NBK,  Awesome story!  I'm glad the 2nd time was charmed.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©