3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: USPS Insurance claim  (Read 376 times)

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
USPS Insurance claim
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
I sent a bow in a PVC tube with plastic caps and bubble wrap and a cloth bow cover and the P.O. managed to break the end cap and scrape the tip and put a crack in the glass. The bowyer is afraid to fix the tip because of the crack in the glass based on pictures. Any tips on making an insurance claim with USPS? Bow was sent Priority Insured.  Thanks  Norm
NFetscher

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: USPS Insurance claim
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
You will need to fill out a claim form. I think you can find one on line or pick one up at the post office. You will need a bill of sale to establish the value of the bow. I would include the information from the bowyer indicating it is not fixable. I would send photos of the PVC tube, plastic cap and damage to the bow. After the claim form is submitted, it will take a minimum of 30 days and probably longer for the PO to reply, deny or send you a check for the bow. Good Luck!

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
I had a very similar claim that was denied... plus they were going to keep the bow!  All forms were filled out, selling price was documented, and pictures were included for everything.

Hopefully things work out better for you!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Why take out the insurance if the PO will not pay?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
Why take out the insurance if the PO will not pay?
I learned my lesson some years back; they will give you a really good runaround, but will in the end deny the claim. At least, that was my experience. Good luck.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
I do not know how they can possibly deny a clam for something packed in a PVC tube. I would be contacting someone high up about being ripped off by the postal service.  I wouldn’t let that one go until I got paid.

I think I have seen posts about three bows in the PVC tubes where at least the tube was damaged in the last year, but I don’t recall any being posted about damage in a cardboard box.  Is a tube really better or does it cause some issue in the processing?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
I think the shipper has to make the claim.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Gosh, I agree.  Hang tough on this one.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Where's Killy???
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
I've heard some real horror stories about people trying to collect insurance claims on damaged items, particularly if the damaged item was a used bow. It's hard to prove whether the seller, the buyer, or the shipper damaged a used bow. Let's say you sell a used bow to someone for $500 and it disappears in shipping. Even though someone just paid you $500 for it, the shipper's insurance company will claim it wasn't worth $500!  Imagine having to send back $500 to someone and only getting back $400 from the insurance company!  The problem is, the insurance companies have figured out that it pays to hang tough; that the average person will eventually accept whatever they are offering rather than keep fighting it.

I think the only thing you can do is to overpack it so it wouldn't be damaged even if it fell out of an airplane.   As far as getting lost, put more than one label on and even put a label on the inside.   And then insure it anyway, since I think it has a better chance of being delivered if it is insured.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
It takes awhile to get your money,
Schafer Silvertip

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
If you are going to ship a bow in a plastic tube; be sure and put the tube in a long cardboard box. The tubes fall off conveyors and get stuck in the machinery. I've shipped thousands of bows in simple, long cardboard boxes by USPS without a single one damaged in the US.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Remember the USPS uses FedEx Air and the airlines to ship.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
I was the "receiver", I filed the claim and and I got paid.  Just had to go through the steps.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
I think I remember someone saying it is a good idea to take pictures of the bow before packing it just in case you later have to demonstrate the condition it was in prior to shipping. Not a bad idea IMO. If you have some pictures you might consider including them with your claim. Fortunately I've not been through this & hope I never do, doesn't sound like fun. Good luck!
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:
I do not know how they can possibly deny a clam for something packed in a PVC tube. I would be contacting someone high up about being ripped off by the postal service.  I wouldn’t let that one go until I got paid.

I think I have seen posts about three bows in the PVC tubes where at least the tube was damaged in the last year, but I don’t recall any being posted about damage in a cardboard box.  Is a tube really better or does it cause some issue in the processing?
PVC tubes roll.... they roll off the conveyor belts and get damaged all the time... they roll off the tail gate of delivery trucks, roll around in the trucks.... they are a pain in the arse for
any deliver service.... if you use a tube you need to tape a cardboard corner on it so it doesn't roll around....

having a claim turned down usually stems from not being able to prove the value of the bow, or that the damage was actually done during shipping....

USPS is pretty darn good about paying a claim if you have your paperwork in order.

Quit shipping in tubes and you won't have the problem any more.... I'll bet i see a dozen posts a year about damaged or broken bows, and they were all shipped in tubes...you'd think people would figure it out...   :dunno:

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
I've had two claims and they paid.  Took about 2 months.  It is best to not take the damaged item out of the post office.  Just fill out the claim right then and there.  They have the paper work.  The claim can be filled out at either end, by the buyer or seller.  If the buyer doesn't want to mess with the paper work they can have it sent back to the seller's post office for free.  Chad

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 02:05:00 AM »
I have bought and sold around 50 bows in 3 years and this was the first damaged bow for me.  A great looking Northern Mist Shelton.  I shipped all my longbows in cardboard carpet tubes duct taped up on the ends and bows bubble wrapped inside with out any problems I guess it was my time my truck broke down the same day.  Norm has been great hopefully we will both be in this for the long haul.  Steve from Northern Mist has also been very helpful.

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
The shipper or the buyer can file the claim. It is easier for the shipper to file claim since they have the receipt. I have had several claims and they have been covered by insurance. It takes time and documentation.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
I've done a few claims, one to a guy on here.  I ended up replacing the bow for him.  It took me 5 months to get my money from USPS, all I had to do was print out my add that was on the sight.  My other claim was an **** item and they just needed the listing.  If you don't have any proof of the transaction it might be rough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©